wrestling is suck

Colt45

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
yeah i've seen a few wrestling threads around and i *despise* wrestling. i wonder if anyone else shares this.
lMK!!

GoldenBear

Banned
Mar 2, 2000
It really irks me..

When people put down the WWF and pro wrestling in general.

For example when a guy like Chris Benoit, who had a dream ever since he was a little kid, and has worked oh so hard to achieve it, going through more pain, obstacles, and adversaries than any "real" athlete or actor ever would.

And after finally making it to the big time, what does he do? He only works about 300 days a year, goes home once, perhaps twice on a good week, and on the rest of the days he's throwing his body around like a ping pong ball. And now, he'll be having neck surgery, and will be out 6+ months.

It's bad enough he has to go through all this, but the public treatment and view of him, and the hundreds of other superstars around the country and world, is so negative and they get no respect from the general population. Even further than that, the negative connotation with him and all the others is made in a seemingly expertise manner, when in reality people have NO IDEA what these guys go through.

Is it "fake"? DUH, it's just as scripted as the next thing on TV or what's playing at the movie theater. But the physicality of it all is as real as it gets. These guys don't have the benefits of film editing or special effects, THEY are the ones that create the stunts. It's all done in front of a live audience, and there's no director, no computer graphics specalist to give the "illusion" that make these guys appear that they're killing each other. No, to make it "appear" credible, they have to basically kill each other. A lot of it is practiced over and over and over again, and more often than not there's not a lot of pain inflicted in a move, but when you take the risks that they take, a mistake is bound to occur at one point or another. Combine that with no actual "off season", which "real athletes" get to heal their injuries, it accumulates, and when their careers are over, their physical condition is pretty much over.

These guys are human beings, just like everyone else. And the nature of human beings is to have some level of consideration towards others. And all that I want, is respect for these guys. Respect for what they did to get to where they are, and repsect for what they go through every night.

You absolutely don't have to enjoy the product or even watch it. Heck, as much as I watch it, I'll be the very first to admit that a lot of WWF programming is stupid, crappy, and often I wonder what drugs these writers are on when writing this stuff. Really, I rarely ever watch a full two hour show, and often record it and FF through it--or I just flip channels in between..But once I do get past all that, there's nothing that beats it.

amdforlife

Banned
Apr 2, 2001
everyone works hard to be successful..not just wrestlers. no one said they have no respect for wrestlers...so keep your ignorant posts to yourself. most respect them as people, and respect the fact that they do what they have to do to make a living, doesnt mean they have to like it. some hookers work hard to pay for their babies. i respect that. does this mean i have to like prostitution? no.

GoldenBear

Banned
Mar 2, 2000

<< everyone works hard to be successful..not just wrestlers. no one said they have no respect for wrestlers... >>

I believe in another thread people voted that they're just gay men in underware (sic). From all that I've gathered, people don't have respect for wrestlers, and are always putting them down. If they had respect, they would have just a BIT of respect for the business that they work in, and wouldn't treat it as they do.

And when a wrestler hears all that from the public, it kills him more than anything else, and I'm hurt on the same level.

mackstann

Banned
Apr 17, 2001

<< And after finally making it to the big time, what does he do? He only works about 300 days a year, goes home once, perhaps twice on a good week, and on the rest of the days he's throwing his body around like a ping pong ball. And now, he'll be having neck surgery, and will be out 6+ months. >>

That's his choice. Nobody is forcing him to wrestle, and if it's so bad, he can quit. I'm sure he has more than enough money to make it for the rest of his life, and if not, then it's probably his fault for not investing intelligently.

And, I think we all know that the scenes are fake, and the matches are pre-determined. Most of us also know that the wrestlers are throwing themselves around like animals, and taking some severe punishment in the process.

Why I, and I'm guessing, many others, don't enjoy it is because:

1. The acting is poor, and well, cheesy and stupid. Also WAAAAAAY over the top. You even seem to realize this.

2. Yes, it is scripted, as are many other shows, BUT, wrestling is a physical competiton (well it appears to be a competition...), with opponents, winners, and losers. Sounds like a sport, eh? Well, a scripted SPORT would be pretty crappy, and that's why I think most people criticize it for being scripted. If a show is scripted, fine, most are. But if a sport or competion is scripted, then who the hell would want to watch it??? I don't even like real sports, anyways.

The reason I think most fans of it like it is because they intentionally work you up. The wrestlers are ssooooooo pissed at each other, etc. etc. etc. To me it just seems fake, cheesy, and just plain f*cking retarded.

But I am awaiting you, GoldenBear, to quote the hell out of me, and be the usual prick that you are.

As everyone else here seems to say, &quot;that's just my $0.02&quot;.

amdforlife

Banned
Apr 2, 2001

<< I believe in another thread people voted that they're just gay men in underware (sic). From all that I've gathered, people don't have respect for wrestlers, and are always putting them down. If they had respect, they would have just a BIT of respect for the business that they work in, and wouldn't treat it as they do. >>

Yeah..keywords in another thread. That has nothing to do w/ anything posted in this one.

GoldenBear

Banned
Mar 2, 2000

<< 1. The acting is poor, and well, cheesy and stupid. >>

They are not hired for their acting..however there are many with tremendous charisma, however their actual wrestling ability usually holds them back.

<< But if a sport or competion is scripted, then who the hell would want to watch it??? >>

Have you never seen movies involving sports? The movies where in the end, the good guy always ends up throwing the winning touchdown or hits the game winning 3 pointer? Ooh people do watch.

There's also the athleticism involved. Jackie Chan/Jet Li fight scenes are popular and fun to BECAUSE it is scripted, and allows for a million things, all amazing and spectcular to watch.

<< I don't even like real sports, anyways >>

Uh, okay.

<< The wrestlers are ssooooooo pissed at each other, etc. etc. etc. To me it just seems fake, cheesy, and just plain f*cking retarded >>

So, I don't know, it sucks when you see two actors working up toward a big climax?

<< But I am awaiting you, GoldenBear, to quote the hell out of me, and be the usual prick that you are. >>

You mustn't wait no longer.

amb#cog

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2000
Count me in as a wrestling hater.

God I despise it when grown adults go on, and on about this stupid soap opera, like for some odd reason it even remotely matters. :|

I also despise soap operas.

I actually did like wrestling at one time.

WHEN I WAS 10 YEARS OLD!!!

Geez people grow up. :confused:

But then again, unless it's a sports, history, or a movie. I could care less. I prefer reality on TV (no Survivor crap though), and like my fiction in full length movies where they can actually do it right.

GoldenBear

Banned
Mar 2, 2000

<< Yeah..keywords in another thread. That has nothing to do w/ anything posted in this one. >>

You said &quot;no one said they have no respect for wrestlers...&quot;, which I did not imagine meant the 4 or 5 people that already replied to the thread, but, rather the general public. How silly of me to think that your statement was so enclosed.

Sleep I go now, I'm in need of itr.

mackstann

Banned
Apr 17, 2001

<< << The wrestlers are ssooooooo pissed at each other, etc. etc. etc. To me it just seems fake, cheesy, and just plain f*cking retarded >> >>

<< So, I don't know, it sucks when you see two actors working up toward a big climax? >>

Notice the words fake and cheesy? Most good actors aren't fake and cheesy.

GoldenBear, I don't know how you don't exhaust yourself, arguing with everyone here all the time. I am too lazy to argue anymore than the little I have already done.

I don't like you very much.

amb#cog

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2000
Okay I'll say it then.

I have no respect for em, and if given the chance I too would gladly vote that I feel they are just gay men in underware. :)

I also think that someone cares a little too much about those gay men in underware. ;)

amdforlife

Banned
Apr 2, 2001

<< You said &quot;no one said they have no respect for wrestlers...&quot;, which I did not imagine meant the 4 or 5 people that already replied to the thread, but, rather the general public. How silly of me to think that your statement was so enclosed. >>

Yes goldenbear, you are right. When i said &quot;no one said they have no respect for wrestlers&quot; I meant no one in the history of mankind ever said they respected wrestlers. How can i be so general? Because ive been alive for a few billion years, and i have on record every word anyones ever said. Im just so glad you were intelligent enough to pick up on this. And just to think, some morons would actually believe I only meant the thread that was at hand this moment. Jesus...their ignorance amazes me.

lowfatbaconboy

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2000
i don't mind like actual wrestling (like olympic wrestling i don't watch it though)

but the fake as hell WWF and WCW etc. is so damned annoying its a friggin soap opera for rednecks and idiots who think its real or for some reason like the entertainment value of it(which there is none)

i can understanding watching a bad movie to make fun of it but wrestling is to much

amdforlife

Banned
Apr 2, 2001

<< I don't like you very much. >>

No one likes hypocrites. He thinks he can be a jackass to someone w/ a relavant post, claiming its ignorant and pointless, but he turns around and posts one. One day ill see him at an A's game and spit in his face.