Question Wraith Prism RGB Cooler or older Hyper 212 Evo for OC'd 1600 AF?

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I just bought a lightly used AMD 1600 AF system as a back up system. I'm wanting to tinker around with overclocking a little bit but nothing crazy. The CPU will come with a Wraith Prism RGB cooler which has a TDP of 105 watts. My older 2013 212 Evo's TDP is 180w. If I go with the Hyper 212 Evo I believe I need to get an AM4 adapter kit which will cost me $7 shipping. Which would you go with or would you go with a different $25 - $30 cooler?

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I suggest getting the kit for the 212 regardless (I still have one of the older models myself) it is well worth the $7. Obviously, it will cool significantly better, and perhaps more importantly, depending on your sensitivity to noise, be much quieter while doing it.

I have some Prism coolers too, and it can handle that CPU even with an easy overclock. But the fan will get noisy under gaming loads. Even in a case with good air flow. But as it is a back up rig we are talking about, you can certainly use it without worry. I think the biggest pro of the Prism, is how fast and easy they are to install. Not that the 212 is any trouble when mounting it before installing the board.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
I suggest getting the kit for the 212 regardless (I still have one of the older models myself) it is well worth the $7. Obviously, it will cool significantly better, and perhaps more importantly, depending on your sensitivity to noise, be much quieter while doing it.

I have some Prism coolers too, and it can handle that CPU even with an easy overclock. But the fan will get noisy under gaming loads. Even in a case with good air flow. But as it is a back up rig we are talking about, you can certainly use it without worry. I think the biggest pro of the Prism, is how fast and easy they are to install. Not that the 212 is any trouble when mounting it before installing the board.
i have literally a box of 212 core contact freezers etc, i still used the prism rgb with the 5600x i upgraded my sons rig with. works great cant hear anything to do with the cpu fan while checking out cyberpunk 2077.

oh wait they said they want to overclock then ya get something you can use a push pull fan 7$ adapter ;P but for me i dont care to overclock seems pointless

Last edited:

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
i have literally a box of 212 core contact freezers etc, i still used the prism rgb with the 5600x i upgraded my sons rig with. works great cant hear anything to do with the cpu fan while checking out cyberpunk 2077.
Cyberbugged is more GPU limited.

You did not mention what the fan curve or CPU temp are. I have used a bunch of Prisms for builds, just shipped 2 to someone here on the forums. On the x370, B450, A320, and FX990 systems I have used them with, you can choose between loud or hot, or sometimes get stuck with both. Depends on the CPU and overclock. They do better with the 6 cores for certain. But left alone with the default fan curve using a 2600@4.2GHz all core 1.375v it was hitting the temp limit resulting in 90 percent fan speed while playing TW: Warhammer 2 and the newer Assassin's Creed games. If you can't hear that, it's time for miracle ear.

I should mention it is even more annoying that it ramps up and down, which is worse than a steady noise level IMO. Even custom fan curves meant annoyingly audible or running in the 80's which is not something I am kosher with.

EDIT: The prism does do fine with most the 4/8 6/12 CPUs and boards I have used it with, if everything is left stock. But the B450 Tomahawk and B450 Aorus Elite were too aggressive OOB. I manually set voltage and clock speed or they would both pump more than 1.4v during boost.

Last edited:

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Cyberbugged is more GPU limited.

You did not mention what the fan curve or CPU temp are. I have used a bunch of Prisms for builds, just shipped 2 to someone here on the forums. On the x370, B450, A320, and FX990 systems I have used them with, you can choose between loud or hot, or sometimes get stuck with both. Depends on the CPU and overclock. They do better with the 6 cores for certain. But left alone with the default fan curve using a 2600@4.2GHz all core 1.375v it was hitting the temp limit resulting in 90 percent fan speed while playing TW: Warhammer 2 and the newer Assassin's Creed games. If you can't hear that, it's time for miracle ear.

I should mention it is even more annoying that it ramps up and down, which is worse than a steady noise level IMO. Even custom fan curves meant annoyingly audible or running in the 80's which is not something I am kosher with.

EDIT: The prism does do fine with most the 4/8 6/12 CPUs and boards I have used it with, if everything is left stock. But the B450 Tomahawk and B450 Aorus Elite were too aggressive OOB. I manually set voltage and clock speed or they would both pump more than 1.4v during boost.
max temp 65c really not much difference then the 3600 it replaced but way lower temps. What ever the default is on the tiachi ultimate x470. I will run some benches and put my head down close to the case and see tomorrow.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I didn't consider the noise factor. I'll be using my old Corsair Carbide 500R which has a mesh front, side and top so a quieter cooler would help.

I also vaguely seem to remember watching or reading a review that compared the Evo to one of the Wraith coolers. The Evo lets the VRMs run cooler than the Prism or similar cooler although I can't find that info searching my history. It may have been a youtube video.

I can't seem to find the free bracket that only costs $7 shipping. I think this is the one I want but it's OOS and cost $8 plus nearly $7 shipping. https://store.coolermaster.com/us/amd-am4-upgrade-kit-rr-am4b-h212-s1-3

I believe this kit has everything for $16.50 shipped. https://store.coolermaster.com/us/hyper-212-evo-acessories-kit

Considering the additional costs is it worth it or should I just grab another $25 or $30 cooler like the Gammax 400 or ID-COOLING SE-224-XT or Vetroo V5 or whatever you suggest?

Edit: For reference here is compatibility page: https://landing.coolermaster.com/pages/amd-am4-ryzen-compatability/

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Down draft fans push air over the VRMs. But if there is good air flow over them already, due to a good case and cooling, then not having the hot air from the cooler hitting them might be doing a better job. I have not spent any time on reading anyone's results in ages. This is just anecdotal remarks. If inaccurate, Cunningham's Law will come into play. ;)

And this time of year is almost optimal conditions for system temps. When the Prism really showed its weakness was summer time here in Fl.

At that cost, I would buy a different cooler. I went to Noctua for my builds and have not looked back since. So I don't know much about any of the others. Took a quick look at the 3 you listed, and the ID had the fewest complaints about AM4 use. Noctua is worth the extra money to me, because the quality, ease of installation, performance, and product support are all top notch.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Down draft fans push air over the VRMs. But if there is good air flow over them already, due to a good case and cooling, then not having the hot air from the cooler hitting them might be doing a better job. I have not spent any time on reading anyone's results in ages. This is just anecdotal remarks. If inaccurate, Cunningham's Law will come into play. ;)

And this time of year is almost optimal conditions for system temps. When the Prism really showed its weakness was summer time here in Fl.

At that cost, I would buy a different cooler. I went to Noctua for my builds and have not looked back since. So I don't know much about any of the others. Took a quick look at the 3 you listed, and the ID had the fewest complaints about AM4 use. Noctua is worth the extra money to me, because the quality, ease of installation, performance, and product support are all top notch.
Although I'm not an expert I also thought a downdraft cooler would perform better cooling the vrms. Your theory of the warm air from the heatsink sounds good to me.

If I would buy a Noctua it would be for my new 10700k build. Not a fan of their brown fans though and they want more for their all black editions. I have a Thermalright Macho Rev. B and it should be adequate. I wish Noctua made an afordable model. Their pricing reminds me of my ISP's pricing where they herd you into buying the top tiers or in this case a D15 lol.

Thanks for the tip on the ID cooler being easier to use with an AM4 MB. I'll have a further look into that and I'll also see if I can find a decent review site.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
vetroo v5 5-heatpipe cooler is on sale at amazon and some other places with coupon. https://www.amazon.com/Vetroo-Cooler-Processor-Universal-Socket/dp/B08F2BS9J8 (checkbox the 10$ coupon).

i bought one as a just in case option after the jayz2cents unsponsored review.

the cm h212 evo is still just a 4 heatpipe cooler. the wraith prism is a 4pipe also made by coolermaster. a quick scan of a yt vid shows a 3 deg diff at load. you arent going to get much extra oc headroom with the evo. the only difference will be mounting orientation options and ease of access.

thermal performance is directly related to transfer rate (thus number of heatpipes). wrt the 6mm heatpipe coolers 4pipe<6pipe<7pipe. (its odd we havent seen more 8mm pipe coolers)

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
vetroo v5 5-heatpipe cooler is on sale at amazon and some other places with coupon. https://www.amazon.com/Vetroo-Cooler-Processor-Universal-Socket/dp/B08F2BS9J8 (checkbox the 10$ coupon).

i bought one as a just in case option after the jayz2cents unsponsored review.

the cm h212 evo is still just a 4 heatpipe cooler. the wraith prism is a 4pipe also made by coolermaster. a quick scan of a yt vid shows a 3 deg diff at load. you arent going to get much extra oc headroom with the evo. the only difference will be mounting orientation options and ease of access.

thermal performance is directly related to transfer rate (thus number of heatpipes). wrt the 6mm heatpipe coolers 4pipe<6pipe<7pipe. (its odd we havent seen more 8mm pipe coolers)
My first build I had a Q6600 oc'd to 3.0 with no voltage increase. I had a Xigmatek 964 (92mm fan 4 heat pipes) and then later a 1283 (120mm fan and 3 heatpipes) and they were within a degree or two of each other. The larger 1283 did recover a bit quicker though and of course it was quieter. It still surprised me that they were so close in their cooling ability. That seems to agree with what you are saying.

I also saw a spreadsheet that showed the little Noctua NH-D9S with two fans performing better than the D15. How is that even possible? I've been obsessing over this little cooler for hours lol. I'm not even sure where they got the results. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...o42cWLtPWg2hmbCcRD0wiCwTiA/edit#gid=730785012

I may see if I can find a phone number for coolermaster tommorrow and give them a call to see if they still offer the free bracket. If not I may be looking for a better cooler than what I was going to go with. Don't really trust Vetroo or ID cooling and you all say the Gammax is no fun with AM4.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
My first build I had a Q6600 oc'd to 3.0 with no voltage increase. I had a Xigmatek 964 (92mm fan 4 heat pipes) and then later a 1283 (120mm fan and 3 heatpipes) and they were within a degree or two of each other. The larger 1283 did recover a bit quicker though and of course it was quieter. It still surprised me that they were so close in their cooling ability. That seems to agree with what you are saying.

I also saw a spreadsheet that showed the little Noctua NH-D9S with two fans performing better than the D15. How is that even possible? I've been obsessing over this little cooler for hours lol. I'm not even sure where they got the results. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...o42cWLtPWg2hmbCcRD0wiCwTiA/edit#gid=730785012

I may see if I can find a phone number for coolermaster tommorrow and give them a call to see if they still offer the free bracket. If not I may be looking for a better cooler than what I was going to go with. Don't really trust Vetroo or ID cooling and you all say the Gammax is no fun with AM4.
whats not to trust about the veetroo? looks good to me if i was going to buy something less then a aio. Maybe it will start rusting? bracket break after a year? ? i dont get what would go wrong besides the fan.

damn i had no interest in buying a cpu fan and now i am considering buying that vetroo v5 :p 25$ shipped compared to 20$ for the adapter to use a core contact cooler heh. i still need a cooler for the 3600 since the 5600x stock cooler looked like garbage so i used the 2700x stock cooler.

Last edited:
Reactions: VirtualLarry

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
whats not to trust about the veetroo? looks good to me if i was going to buy something less then a aio. Maybe it will start rusting? bracket break after a year? ? i dont get what would go wrong besides the fan.

damn i had no interest in buying a cpu fan and now i am considering buying that vetroo v5 :p 25$ shipped compared to 20$ for the adapter to use a core contact cooler heh. i still need a cooler for the 3600 since the 5600x stock cooler looked like garbage so i used the 2700x stock cooler.
It may be fine but I'm skeptical of new products from unfamiliar brands on Amazon. It would also be nice to know what they use to paint the heatsink since it gets warm. Who knows if it's toxic or not. I'm also a bit concerned about the fan. If I need to buy another fan I may as well go with something else. Who knows, maybe all my concerns are unfounded.

I did find a number for coolermaster in one of the cooler manuals on their website. I couldn't get a human on the line though so I'll try again tomorrow.

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
It may be fine but I'm skeptical of new products from unfamiliar brands on Amazon. It would also be nice to know what they use to paint the heatsink since it gets warm. Who knows if it's toxic or not. I'm also a bit concerned about the fan. If I need to buy another fan I may as well go with something else. Who knows, maybe all my concerns are unfounded.

I did find a number for coolermaster in one of the cooler manuals on their website. I couldn't get a human on the line though so I'll try again tomorrow.
for 25$ i think it is worth the gamble. the same money will only buy you another 4 pipe cooler with maybe better mounting hardware or a better known fan. 5 pipe unknown vs 4 pipe known but no better performing is for each person to weigh.
heatsinks arent painted since that would just insulate and reduce performance. aluminum is annodized which is a oxide treatment with a dye. so there is no risk of fumes. and i think the vetroo has a stainless version.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
My first build I had a Q6600 oc'd to 3.0 with no voltage increase.

That would coincide when you first joined. I built my first quad core build for a customer in Portland back in 2008. Q6600, early DDR2 2GB sticks. Used a massive TRUE hsf with a Noctua fan strapped to it.

CzEmlsnh.jpg

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
for 25$ i think it is worth the gamble. the same money will only buy you another 4 pipe cooler with maybe better mounting hardware or a better known fan. 5 pipe unknown vs 4 pipe known but no better performing is for each person to weigh.
heatsinks arent painted since that would just insulate and reduce performance. aluminum is annodized which is a oxide treatment with a dye. so there is no risk of fumes. and i think the vetroo has a stainless version.
You're right. It's probably a fine cooler. The ID does have a higher max TDP though (180w versus 150w). That is if that number can be trusted. Knowing that I went ahead and ordered one of the ID-Cooling SE 224 Basic coolers last night after reading the numbers in this review. It should work fine if it can hang within 1-5 degrees of much more expensive coolers.