Wow, WOW....All Galaxy S can now be unlocked for FREE(Vibrant, Captivate)

kaerflog

Golden Member
Jul 23, 2010
Last edited:

pm

Elite Member Mobile Devices
Jan 25, 2000
Ok, so maybe I'm missing the point here but both AT&T and T-Mobile agreed to unlock their Captivates and Vibrants respectively a while ago... you could just call them up.

I guess if you acquired the phone and you weren't a customer it might be useful to have another way to unlock, but since a Captivate only has 3G on AT&T and a Vibrant only has 3G on T-Mobile, I can't see how people would have one and then not be a customer of their respective network.

dougp

Diamond Member
May 3, 2002
Ok, so maybe I'm missing the point here but both AT&T and T-Mobile agreed to unlock their Captivates and Vibrants respectively a while ago... you could just call them up.

I guess if you acquired the phone and you weren't a customer it might be useful to have another way to unlock, but since a Captivate only has 3G on AT&T and a Vibrant only has 3G on T-Mobile, I can't see how people would have one and then not be a customer of their respective network.

Incorrect - the Vibrant has AT&T bands.

Pruuf: http://www.androidguys.com/2010/08/22/samsung-galaxy-unlockable-tmobile-vibrant-supports-att-3g/ :eek:

kaerflog

Golden Member
Jul 23, 2010
WTF.....Haha, I just unlocked my Captiavte.
Now I'm using the Captivate on T-Mobile.
The HD2 will be on hiatus for while.
I love the Captivate.....minus the no flash of course(only when I need to use it).

kaerflog

Golden Member
Jul 23, 2010

Unlocking a phone has more usefulness than just Tmobile or ATT.
For people that travel oversea(myself) often, its very useful.

As for the Vibrant.
Yes unlocking it is easy...for T-mobile. Their policy for unlocking phones is easy. And BTW, the Vibrant does have the 1900mhz band for ATT but ATT other 3G band 850mhz is much more useful.
But for the Captivate, forget about trying to get ATT to get it unlock for you.
They are making you wait 10 months if they actually do it at all.

I've been reading up on how to unlock the Galaxy S and especially the Captivate and it seems not too many people have been successful at it.
All those unlocking service couldn't do it and ATT wasn't going to help.
So all of the sudden, this news come along.
This is just facking great. I just unlocked my phone.
I'm travel oversea in Oct for 1 month.

pm

Elite Member Mobile Devices
Jan 25, 2000

I'm sort of right and they are sort of right too. The Vibrant supports 1900MHz - as kaerfog said - but not 850MHz. Since large portions of AT&T's 3G network are on the 850MHz band - anyone using a Vibrant on AT&T will find that they don't get a 3G signal as often as they should.

kaerflog said:
Unlocking a phone has more usefulness than just Tmobile or ATT.
For people that travel oversea(myself) often, its very useful.

Right, no disagreement with that. I just returned from 3 months in the UK, last year I spent 6 months in Poland... and next year I'm probably looking at another month in Eastern Europe. I only buy unlockable phones.

As for the Vibrant.
Yes unlocking it is easy...for T-mobile. Their policy for unlocking phones is easy. And BTW, the Vibrant does have the 1900mhz band for ATT but ATT other 3G band 850mhz is much more useful.
But for the Captivate, forget about trying to get ATT to get it unlock for you.
They are making you wait 10 months if they actually do it at all.
I had read that AT&T agreed to do it too, but this was back in July. I hadn't heard that since then they had backtracked on that. I will say that AT&T readily unlocked several phones for me - including a Nokia N95 back in Feb. But I hadn't read anything about the delays with the Captivate.

I've been reading up on how to unlock the Galaxy S and especially the Captivate and it seems not too many people have been successful at it.
All those unlocking service couldn't do it and ATT wasn't going to help.
So all of the sudden, this news come along.
This is just facking great. I just unlocked my phone.
I'm travel oversea in Oct for 1 month.
Cool, well glad it worked and have a good trip.

secretanchitman

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
great news! now i will definitely consider one of these phones. hardware unlocked without needing to root the phone is just awesome.

kaerflog

Golden Member
Jul 23, 2010
I had read that AT&T agreed to do it too, but this was back in July. I hadn't heard that since then they had backtracked on that. I will say that AT&T readily unlocked several phones for me - including a Nokia N95 back in Feb. But I hadn't read anything about the delays with the Captivate.

ATT is claiming a 10 month exclusive with the Captivate so they won't unlock it for you.
Some CSR will tell you that ATT don't even have the ability to give you the unlock code YET.