Wow, what a great book -- highly recommended!

Pyro

Banned
Sep 2, 2000
I just finished reading "Forbes Greatest Technology Stories". Its a nice recount of the last 60 years of computing. It starts from the very basics and follows the development all the way up to 1998 and almost every major company/person is included.

some interesting things I learned:

• The ENIAC was NOT the first digital computer, but it was in fact the ABC (atanasoff-berry computer). The ENIAC creator stole all the ideas from Prof Atanasoff (who created all the concepts behind modern computers, such as using binary numbers, the concept of memory etc) and then took credit for them. As it turns out, Atanasoff's father comes from the same country as me :D

Intel was originally a memory company and had no intention of every making or selling processors (in fact, they were reluctant to continue developing them once they made them)

Steve Jobs is an arrogant bastard (and I have little doubt its partially because of this that apple is still a niche company).

Bill Gates is ruthless and extremely aggressive. He will stop at very little to get what he wants (perhaps its time for Linux to be affraid?)

Unlike what macheads may say, Apple never invented the GUI, but copied it from Xerox PARC.
    M$ never actually copied the Apple GUI, but in fact they licensed it from them (which saved them in the trial they had later)

and much more.

If you have some time, it's a good read (author is Jefferey Young)

sohcrates

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2000
actually sounds pretty cool. did you pick it up locally or get it from amazon.com or something?