Wow..try to expalin IMAP to a 75 year old

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
This guy thought I was an idiot and nobody gets their email this way. The guy could not comprehend that your mail stays in a central location so it's accessible from any location. This guy went through 3 computers in the last year and called us to complain each time because "we didn't keep a backup of his email". *sigh*

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Tell him to buy a Mac. Has made my tech support life infinitely easier :D

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Atheus
He probably didn't check 'leave messages on server' in his client.

We had him set up like that before, then he would call because his mailbox would fill up. We would tell him this, and he would say "I'M DELETIN' MESSAGES LIKE CRAZY!". Well, they weren't deleting on the mail server.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
lol

I've been trying to convince my early 40s boss we should switch to IMAP for a couple months now. He seems to think it's easier for everyone in the office to manually backup their email rather than have it stored on a server with a RAID 1 array which gets backed up nightly.

Andy22

Golden Member
Jun 8, 2001
Maybe he thought you were telling him a joke and he didn't get it because we so old.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: child of wonder
lol

I've been trying to convince my early 40s boss we should switch to IMAP for a couple months now. He seems to think it's easier for everyone in the office to manually backup their email rather than have it stored on a server with a RAID 1 array which gets backed up nightly.

Small Business Server ever come up as an option? Having your own Exchange server is groovy.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Originally posted by: Zolty
send him a gmail invite.

The day Gmail gets IMAP is the day I dance the Berries and Cream jig :Q ;) :D

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
Originally posted by: vi_edit
lol

Small Business Server ever come up as an option? Having your own Exchange server is groovy.

We run Linux at the office so IMAP is our best/easiest option.

Plus, I doubt he would fork over the money to purchase W2k3 SBS.

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003
Originally posted by: vi_edit
lol

We run Linux at the office so IMAP is our best/easiest option.

Plus, I doubt he would fork over the money to purchase W2k3 SBS.

I'd prefer that. If someone loses their e-mail, it's their own damn fault.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
Originally posted by: grohl
What's IMAP?

POP3 and IMAP are email retrieval protocols.

POP3 has the computer download the message from the server and delete it unless told otherwise. The message is then stored on the PC that downloaded it.

IMAP reads the messages remotely from the server and the messages stay there until the PC accessing them deletes the messages remotely.

IMAP allows someone to configure their email on any number of PCs and view the same messages where as POP3 does not.