Wow. This technique WORKS for my anxiety

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
I can't find the youtube vid of some young therapist sharing a technique in cognitive behavioral therapy.

Lately I'm been getting worried a lot with kids and my job. I think it exasperated my anxiety. So I'm not doing too hot at my job right now and it's causing me lots of stress.

The technique is to assume the worst scenario all the way fully. Is it really that bad? No. You can adapt. With that info, the youtube therapist shared that his client FINALLY had a successful date with a girl since he realized getting rejected is not that big deal afterall. He had a TIME of his life.

So I applied that technique to me. What's the worst thing it's gonna happen in terms of my performance? I won't be fired or even reprimanded since the dependent team are the ones going completely against the company policy.

So what's the worst case? Maybe I get a bad talk? Pfft, I'm still getting $$$$$$$ baby six figs. All of my direct duties are all fulfilled on paper. And they're rather well done.

Holy hell, next thing I know, I realized I have nothing to worry about. That anxiety and self-sabotage resolved.

I don't like new age self-healing crap, but CBT and the person is legit (phd)

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
The forums can't get any worse than they are now. There is only up to go from here with this new shitty layout. That should make you feel better.

Reactions: destrekor and Kaido

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I wonder if this works when you have general anxiety. Like you're not actually worried about anything, you just have anxiety anyway. When I went through my depression it would sometimes turn into anxiety as well. Both the depression and anxiety didn't have any actual reasons behind them, they were just there. Thankfully I was able to overcome that via meds. I'm off them now, just had to go on them for a few months.

skull

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2000
Its the weed you started smoking that shit makes you anxious. You think its relaxing you but its just making you all paranoid thinking about whatifs.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
The technique is to assume the worst scenario all the way fully. Is it really that bad? No. You can adapt. With that info, the youtube therapist shared that his client FINALLY had a successful date with a girl since he realized getting rejected is not that big deal afterall. He had a TIME of his life.
Sounds like bullshit to me. I get anxiety walking steel, and the worst case is I fall off the beam, hang from the tether, and get hit by trucks like a piñata. That isn't helping...

edit:
Whoops. That wasn't the worst case. The worst case is crossing a splice plate that doesn't have cable strung, and falling off the beam. At least I wouldn't have to worry about the piñata effect D^:

Last edited:

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Yes I'll throw all the disclaimer that this one small thing is what seemed to work in terms of recognizing thought patterns and intercepting it.

I can't speak for everyone anxiety of different types and scope.

I'm aware of depressions that just come with no reason. I was there. This technique cant address that.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Part of the cause of my anxiety is doing exactly what you said - always imagining the worst-case scenario and all the work/lost money/damage that comes with it. I compare it to what will likely happen which is nothing but I still believe the worst-case scenario is the only scenario. I was put on meds earlier this year and they're helping a lot. They allow me to just say "f it" to a lot of inconsequential stuff that would otherwise keep me worrying and preventing me from moving on.

I think a big aspect is that this was/is combined with depression, which the meds also address. I would work myself up about something that really wasn't a big deal, and that would cause me to simply avoid it rather than take action or finish it, which would in turn make me feel depressed that I was accomplishing nothing. This caused chores and projects to pile up, which caused me even more anxiety, rinse and repeat.