Wow, that was fast. Sold PC's. Now paying off debt.

LordRaiden

Banned
Dec 10, 2002
As many of you know from several previous threads, money issues have been a little weird lately. Well, I decided that it was time to sell some stuff to make a little cash and pay off some bills should I get hit again. I don't like being broke, and I hate being to the point where my back is beyond being against a wall. Since I had today off anyways, I packed up 2 of my PC's, both SGI workstations, 2 laptops and my mac along with a wide variety of misc routers, motherboards, chips, ram, etc that I had laying around and went down to the first day of a 3 day computer swap meet and computer show we have down here about every 3 months. The fun part is the freelancer corner. For a registration fee of $15 you can put your stuff on a table with dozens of other people and sell it to whoever wants it. Well, the show opened at 8am. By 11am the entire corner where we were at was empty, including my section of the table. Heck, one guy took my mac, both my laptops and 1 sgi and payed me $7k out the door for the whole group!! Geez, I was only gonna ask $5k, but heck, I wasn't gonna argue. :)

Never seen PC's sell that fast before. Especially at a swap meet. :Q

Well, my storage closet is now much cleaner, I'm down to 2 pc's and a laptop, enough spare parts to build 2 more machines (hehe. I'm a spare parts nut. I at one time had enough spare parts to build 7 machines!!) and some misc spare router gear plus my normal network setup. Plus I'm also up $12 large. (aka $12,000 for those who don't understand the lingo. hehe)

Combine that with my saving and my bonus, I'm gonna go write the check today and pay off what I owe on my CC's. That ought to thuroughly p*ss off the CC company. :D Oh well. At least I'll feel better after this. This just leaves about $3500 I still owe on the car and about $50k I still owe on the house. Thought you guys would like to know I'm bringing my debts back under control again after being a spend thrift for too long. :)

DarkManXY2G

Dec 4, 2000
Congrats on getting your debt in order. Now the key to stay on track and not become a spend thrift again. Anyway, good job! :D

Red

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2002
Good for you! I'm struggling with paying off $4100 in CCs and paying off my car. It's when you make $10/hr.

LordRaiden

Banned
Dec 10, 2002
Originally posted by: DarkManXY2G
Congrats on getting your debt in order. Now the key to stay on track and not become a spend thrift again. Anyway, good job! :D
Yeah, that's gonna be a problem. Being a geek means you're naturally drawn to buy tons of geek toys. That's what got me here in the first place. :eek:

PCMarine

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2002
And to think LordRaven was even considering buying an Aston Martin Vanquish... lol.

nater

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2001
weren't you the one considering buying a new SGI workstation not too long ago?

LordRaiden

Banned
Dec 10, 2002
Originally posted by: nater
weren't you the one considering buying a new SGI workstation not too long ago?
Yep. And an Aston Marton, and I wanted a T3 in my house and...well, it's expensive being a geek looking to aquire a lot of toys. :)

Of course reality gave me a good hard slap up side the head a couple of times and now I gotta sell my toys. Oh well. All the better. One thing I won't sell is the Corvette. Not in a million years. :D

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Watch his check bounce, then you're really screwed.

:D

J/K, hope it works out for you. You had no business so much as considering the Aston Martin, but you seem to realize that now.

I only wish I had $7K worth of stuff laying around to sell.

Viper GTS

bcterps

Platinum Member
Aug 31, 2000
Congrats, it's a great feeling to pay off your debt isn't it? I made it a point to have all my debt paid off before I got married 2 years ago. Now the only debt I have is my mortgage, which is quite low. Although it's tempting to go out and buy more stuff, I try to control myself as best as I can.

LordRaiden

Banned
Dec 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Viper GTS

J/K, hope it works out for you. You had no business so much as considering the Aston Martin, but you seem to realize that now.

Viper GTS
Actually, he paid in cash. I just about had a heart attack. :Q

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001
Originally posted by: LordRaiden
Originally posted by: Viper GTS

Viper GTS
Actually, he paid in cash. I just about had a heart attack. :Q

:Q