WOW! Testing of Fan Setup in P180

Dynamix3D

Oct 31, 2000
For the past 45 minutes I have been testing the setup of the rear and top 120mm fans in my P180. I have set it up in two different ways. First, was the normal way, having both the rear and top as exhaust (the way it is intended normally by Antec). But recently I put my hand by the top blowhole, and I can barely feel any air coming up from it at all. Then I put my hand behind the rear blowhole, and it is blowing out much more air.

So now I am thinking that maybe having both as exhaust is not a good idea. It seems like the Rear and Top blowhole are both fighting to blow out the same air. And since the rear is closer to all the heat, it is sucking the air out first before it can reach the top blowhole.

So now I figured let me try to switch the top blowhole as an intake, to see if I can get better temps, seeing that it will be blowing in cool air from outside the case right onto the processor, then the rear exhaust will blow out the hot air left from it. Well let me tell you, after testing each way for about 20 minutes each. I am getting 5C better temps on my CPU when running the top blow hole as intake, and the rear as exhaust, rather than running both as exhaust.

I ran prime95 for 20 minutes straight in each configuration. When having both fans as exhaust, I was getting 57C load temps. When switching the top blowhole to intake, temps dropped to 52C load. So for all you P180 users out there, this might be something you want to test our yourself. To see if this same method works in your setup.

JBDan

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 2004
Interesting and nice! Have you tried the rear blowing in and the top exhausting? I'm sure you have lol. So many fan configs for that case....must be nice.

Dynamix3D

Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: JBDan
Interesting and nice! Have you tried the rear blowing in and the top exhausting? I'm sure you have lol. So many fan configs for that case....must be nice.

I actually haven't tried that yet... Maybe I should try that too, haha.

JBDan

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 2004
Try them all I say! Not meaning to change the sub, but meant to ask you about the Ninja. Using it passively? Whats the lowdown on it?

Dynamix3D

Oct 31, 2000
Also I'm kinda mad that my temps are reaching the the 50's, but I guess thats because I am using a 1.55v vcore. Hey I guess its not so bad since I'm getting a 2.6Ghz overclock, which wasn't achievable for me on my MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum.

Dynamix3D

Oct 31, 2000
Try them all I say! Not meaning to change the sub, but meant to ask you about the Ninja. Using it passively? Whats the lowdown on it?

Oh sorry for the decieving signature, but the Ninja isn't in yet. It'll be here Thursday. And I will be doing everything I can to try to run it passively, hopefully I'll get good enough temps. But as of right now I'm still using the Zalman 7000B-Cu

JBDan

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 2004
Originally posted by: Dynamix3D
Also I'm kinda mad that my temps are reaching the the 50's, but I guess thats because I am using a 1.55v vcore. Hey I guess its not so bad since I'm getting a 2.6Ghz overclock, which wasn't achievable for me on my MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum.
POSTED BY DYNAMIX>>Oh sorry for the decieving signature, but the Ninja isn't in yet. It'll be here Thursday. And I will be doing everything I can to try to run it passively, hopefully I'll get good enough temps. But as of right now I'm still using the Zalman 7000B-Cu

I've been lured into water cooling now and am shopping as we speak. Just cant beat the temps. Still curious about the Ninja let me know your results if ya dont mind. ;)

Dynamix3D

Oct 31, 2000

I've been lured into water cooling now and am shopping as we speak. Just cant beat the temps.

Watercooling would be nice for me, but I would go all out if I did a WC setup. Prolly spend around $350 for a killer setup. But since none of that would fit here in a P180, I'll just stick to air for now. Maybe in the future I will try a water cooling setup in a different case (if I ever get tired of this P180).

JBDan

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 2004

I've been lured into water cooling now and am shopping as we speak. Just cant beat the temps.

Watercooling would be nice for me, but I would go all out if I did a WC setup. Prolly spend around $350 for a killer setup. But since none of that would fit here in a P180, I'll just stick to air for now. Maybe in the future I will try a water cooling setup in a different case (if I ever get tired of this P180).

Yea thats about what I planned on spending. Tired of your p180? lol *shakes his head*

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004
Dynamix - "All out" for a WCing setup is more like $600 - $800. A guy I know has $1000+ invested in WCing one computer.

Where do you get this setup? AquaComputer. The most overpriced, but damn nice, watercooling gears.

Dynamix3D

Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: Safeway
Dynamix - "All out" for a WCing setup is more like $600 - $800. A guy I know has $1000+ invested in WCing one computer.

Where do you get this setup? AquaComputer. The most overpriced, but damn nice, watercooling gears.

For $1,000+ I rather get Phase cooling for my CPU, and use the extra money to watercool my video cards and chipset. But I would never spend a grand on cooling my computer, unless I had money coming outta my ass, ears, nose, etc. LOL

Safeway

Lifer
Jun 22, 2004
Motherboard Monitor 5 -- MBM5

It's free and has alot of stats on the dashboard.

Dynamix3D

Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: Safeway
Motherboard Monitor 5 -- MBM5

It's free and has alot of stats on the dashboard.

for some reason ever since i switched motherboards, MBM5, and nVidia system utility aren't working for me :( I used to used those both, the most, now I can't even use them at all... and I have no idea why.

Dynamix3D

Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: scrawnypaleguy
MBM 5 stopped development, so newer motherboards won't work. I use speedfan.

Ahh no wonder, lol... Well right now I been using Smartguardian. I believe this program comes with the DFI boards.

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
I am using the top fan as intake as well. I don't know how well it helps to cool the case, but it does cool my RAMs by 10c degree.

JSLIM

May 25, 2005
doesn't the top blowhole have a grill mesh type thing, maybe its blocking airflow, I know my p160 front intake doesn't blow well since it has a front filter so i just remove it for more intake air and it helps.

Dynamix3D

Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: JSLIM
doesn't the top blowhole have a grill mesh type thing, maybe its blocking airflow, I know my p160 front intake doesn't blow well since it has a front filter so i just remove it for more intake air and it helps.

The mesh grille that you are talking about is removable. I had it off during all testing. And I removed it when feeling to see if any air was coming up when I had the top blowhole as exhaust.

Dynamix3D

Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: swtethan
Sexy computer HERE i still havent had time to switch the fans in out

Try cleaning up the wires a bit, and remove the VGA duct because it is useless. It's been proven already to do nothing for VGA temps, and all it does is add more noise.

swtethan

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2005
i dont mind the wires, plus the duct has a zalman fan in it anyways, who knows, maybe it helps :) its still whisper silent 36c ambient 37c core on that thing

Shadowknight

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001
Everest home editition has a wider range if compatibility and can report extremely low fan speeds. Better than Motherboard Monitor with the exception that 1)No temps in the taskbar and 2)It doesn't list highest and lowest temps the computer's had.

clarkkent333

Golden Member
Nov 23, 2003
In the tests that SPCR did they decided to leave the top fan hole open and without fan. It managed to cool the case and didn't add the extra noise that another fan would.