Wow! - Star Trek Voyager Demo is pretty swank!

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
I had to DL it from a server in Italy becuase all the "high quality" GameSpy and AVault servers were DOWN.

Pretty nice game, better than HL I can tell just by the Demo. High system requirements though, you have to have 64 meg of ram or you can't play :|

Soccerman

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
that's cause it's running with the Q3 engine...

I would try it.. but I've got a low bandwidth connection...

Vegito

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
I got this OpenGL error know what it is ?
Matrox G400 w/ latest driver..
---

Initializing OpenGL driver
...getting DC: succeeded
...GLW_ChoosePFD( 16, 16, 0 )
...23 PFDs found
...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
...GLW_ChoosePFD( 16, 16, 0 )
...23 PFDs found
...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
...failed to find an appropriate PIXELFORMAT
...restoring display settings
...WARNING: could not set the given mode (3)
...shutting down QGL
...unloading OpenGL DLL
...assuming '3dfxvgl' is a standalone driver
...initializing QGL
...WARNING: missing Glide installation, assuming no 3Dfx available
...shutting down QGL
----- CL_Shutdown -----
RE_Shutdown( 1 )
-----------------------
GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem

ltk007

Banned
Feb 24, 2000
Screen shots look incredible! I am downloading now. Hopefully this will be a good game, unlike every other startrek game before it.

Huma

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
You can get it at http://www.avault.com

It's good fun. Movement could use some tidying up, cause bumping into stupid things seems a bit easy, but phasers are rad. Unfortunately, the demo is all borg, and you can hammer them with phasers much.

The secondary attack with the phasers is kick ass.

DataFly

Mar 12, 2000
This is starting to piss me off.:| I've downloaded this thing 5 times from 5 different sites, but its been corrupted each time.:| Having to download something 6+ times pretty much negates the speed benefits of a cable modem.:( I guess I'll just wait for it to come out some magazine's CD...

ltk007

Banned
Feb 24, 2000
If you have aim datafly I'll send it to you. Its really good, but I got slow framerates. Dammit, I had FSAA on :eek: Oops.

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
<< It's good fun. Movement could use some tidying up, cause bumping into stupid things seems a bit easy >>

You know the only shooter that ever had decent movement was Raven's Heretic II. Third person pov but the control was so sweet. Go from that control system to something lame like Vampire and you'll be crying like a baby within minutes.

<< . Dammit, I had FSAA on Oops >>

GeForce 2? Yeah I really hate turning it on and off. They need tray icon to make this easier too.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I played it and it kicks ass ;) When's the full version coming out?

Anyway, I'm sorta stuck. I'm on incursion, and I just went up an elevator shaft and see an object that is moving up and down with a yellow beam in between. Also, looks like a shaft to the left of it. I couldn't find a way out so I tried to jump across the shaft to the other side...instant death ;)

DataFly

Mar 12, 2000
WOW
I just got it off of download.cnet.com and I must say, this is great, to say the least.:D:D

Better yet, it only took 10 minutes at over 250KB/s.:D:D I'm also the first to d/l it from Download.com.:D:D

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
Move around to the other thing that is going up and down, wait for it to come completely down and walk through the narrow door way and get on top of it. Now it will take you up and you can proceed.

Full version comes out in a month I think.

Also my frame rates were ok, I could run 1024/768x16 fine but bump it to 1024/768x32 and it became a slide show.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Screw KA, I'm buying this. Raven did in 1 year what 14 Degrees East couldn't do in 3, and that's to release a working, mostly bug-free, Star Trek game!:D

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'm playing 32bit color, high detail everything, with FSAA @ 1024x768 on my sytem with no slowdowns.

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
<< 14 Degrees East couldn't do in 3, and that's to release a working, mostly bug-free, Star Trek game >>

Don't forget they made the first really great ST game, Star Fleet Command (at least i think the 14 degrees folks did it). And SF2 will rule too! :)

ltk007

Banned
Feb 24, 2000
Its ok, but the weapons in multiplayer are kinda weak. Hopefully the weapons that aren't included in the demo will make up.

Sephy

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 1999
I was using 1024@32bit, no FSAA, but then I don't like FSAA too much. I think I'll bump it to 1280x1024..
No slowdowns, btw(Creative GTS, Celery 550)

DarK SagE

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Woa i love my Geforce, on my reletibly slow 366@458 i'm getting great frame rates, no slowdowns with everything on, 32bit color, 1024*768.

uncouth

Golden Member
Mar 23, 2000
This game is waaay too similar to the quake series for my taste. It is more like a Q3 mod than a real game. There is no story line, very Quakish, and the game is entirely DM. This wouldn't be such a bad thing if they did something original, which I don't see.

Overall like a Q3 Mod in a UT level...

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
How big is the demo? I would consider downloading it to test on my system downstairs (and on my future system hehe), but I'm on a pukingly slow 56k line here... :(

Sounds like a cool game... But if it is just like Quake then I dont' think I would like it all that much, since I find all Quakes pretty much sucked, and Half Life wasn't very good either.. the only 3d game that I actually enjoyed was Unreal Tournament... at least that thing didn't lag so bad on my Cyrix (like Half Life did - yeesh, that would drop down to like 10fps sometimes! unacceptable!).. I actually stayed around 30-50fps @ 1024 w/high detail.

So how big is the file?