Wow Republican(s) possibly breaking ranks on "No new taxes on the jerb creators"?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ky54

Mar 30, 2010
A hell of a lot more then some dude flipping burgers at McDonald's....

My question was how much is enough to please you and the others who believe that the best way to spur our economy is to tax the rich? Put it finite numbers - what should be the percentage of taxes on someone making more than a million a year? Pretty simple question, no?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
My question was how much is enough to please you and the others who believe that the best way to spur our economy is to tax the rich? Put it finite numbers - what should be the percentage of taxes on someone making more than a million a year? Pretty simple question, no?

Why don't you put it in numbers?

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

Tax policy shouldn't be about "spurring the economy", it should be about collecting money to pay for government spending. Trying to pick the "right" arbitrary percentage for anyone in order to optimized the economy is silly, and it's the reason we have the debt we do.

Taxes shouldn't be a social policy tool, they shouldn't be an economic policy tool...they should be a tax collecting tool. And progressive taxation seems like the most reasonable approach since income becomes progressively easier to part with in the form of taxes the more income you have. I don't know why people insist on making tax policy far from complicated than it should be.

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
BIG SECRET: In order to get money, you have to go to where it is.

Don't tell anybody.

Actually in order to get money you have to EARN IT. A concept that falls short of the majority of people who vote for Democrats. If you take enough long enough at some point there won't be any left to take.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Actually in order to get money you have to EARN IT. A concept that falls short of the majority of people who vote for Democrats. If you take enough long enough at some point there won't be any left to take.

Since the government is not a business, it has no mechanism to "earn" money...that's what taxes are for. I don't know why some conservatives have to turn into such drama queens when the topic comes up.

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
Since the government is not a business, it has no mechanism to "earn" money...that's what taxes are for. I don't know why some conservatives have to turn into such drama queens when the topic comes up.

The problem lies in the way government recklessly spends the money since they don't have to earn it. They also confiscate from those that do earn it to give to those that won't so they can buy votes. There is no drama. The government doesn't have to be a business to function more like one. There is no cost/benefit analysis in government. They just spend based on how they feel....with other people's money.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Do you actually believe this? What a strange, paranoid world you must live in.

Nov 29, 2006
How much should anyone making over a million a year pay in taxes as a percentage?

More than I do making 60k/year that's for sure.

Actually I'll let you pay me 1mill and tax me at 75% . Hell of a lot more than I make now.

Last edited:

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006

Strange counterpoint to your magical thinking is that blue states support red states with their taxes now isn't it?

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
More than I do making 60k/year that's for sure.

Actually I'll let you pay me 1mill and tax me at 75% . Hell of a lot more than I make now.

Can't afford solid gold shitters and $100,000.00 shower curtains in all your ten mansions on that.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Strange counterpoint to your magical thinking is that blue states support red states with their taxes now isn't it?

Shush, you! Like Mitt said, if the Federal govt were run like Mississippi, why, we could join the Third World!

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004

I know, what will the .1%ers do when the rest of us have no more money to take?

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Please me??? LMAO How about we address how Republicant's think tax cuts magically pay for themselves and with 12 years of lost revenue to our Treasury courtesy of the Bbbushhh Tax Cuts?

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Name one that impacted the "rich"? Increased SS on the Millionaires' first $64,000.00 dont count.

Never claimed they did impact the Rich and it is apparent that a Republican would NEVER put the rich at a disadvantage in terms of taxing PERIOD.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Do you actually believe this? What a strange, paranoid world you must live in.

I was going to say the same thing. I get so tired of being defined from some exagerated sterotypical fantasy. I've worked since I was 11. I was temporarily laid off once for 2 months in the recession of 74-75 and hated it and got another job well before I had to. Just because I/we care about people less fortunate than us doesn't mean I think the role of government is to take money from other people and give it to someone else.

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005

You do not "Earn" money in government.

Stay in context. TYVM.

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005

I have said many times I find it Ironic that the ones that complain the most about government spending are, by a large part, the ones that are actually spending the least.

It would be interesting to show for, say, one year what it would be like for NYS and Cali to stop paying taxes to the nation. Just keep it all in house. People can argue "well, services/food/etc would be cut". What would really happen would be that subsidies for Corn and Tobacco would disappear as those resources were "outsourced" (at expense less than what is being currently paid).

The system would become less efficient, for sure, but NYS/NYC would not be hurting for food when they could afford to subsidize it with the additional tax savings. Meanwhile, most of the farm owners would go bust, be bought out by conglomerates if they have not already, and sell 99% of their crap overseas.

A real win-win, eh?

Ninjahedge

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2005
I was going to say the same thing. I get so tired of being defined from some exagerated sterotypical fantasy. I've worked since I was 11. I was temporarily laid off once for 2 months in the recession of 74-75 and hated it and got another job well before I had to. Just because I/we care about people less fortunate than us doesn't mean I think the role of government is to take money from other people and give it to someone else.

Isn't it a very common saying amongst the Christian right:

"Give a man a fish and feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and feed him for life."

Why do we have such a negative reaction toward job training/retraining? You would think that getting people to work at something different would restore the tax base and bring money back into the system rather than just paying them so hunger does not make them desperate enough to commit crime.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

LOLWut??? I can tell you this Liberal has EARNED every thing I have and NEVER have been on the Gubermint dole. I find your comment incredibly ignorant.

Last edited:

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
A balanced budget amendment is a trojan horse to attack domestic spending. Republicans will cut taxes, declare the budget out of balance and then invoke mandatory domestic cuts. Politics 101.
Indeed. Insist government doesn't work, get elected, then break it, claim victory.
Politics 102.