WoW - PvP thread

techgamer

Sep 19, 2007
Ok so I have a 70 BE priest. I am going to be a supporting healer raiding Kara, but I also want to be viable for PvP. I am obviously thinking disc/holy spec. But I dont know whether to go 41/20, the usual disc spec or to put a few more talents to holy b/c of raiding. Also, I will be teaming 2v2 with a mage and 3v3 with a mage and hunter (irl friends) so any help on perfecting spec towards that would be helpful. (i.e. I've heard using reflective sheild when teamed with mage or hunter is bad b/c dmg can hit their sheep/ice trap.) thanks

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Why not just go shadow and be DPS in kara which would also work for PVP. I doubt you'll find that going with a hybrid will work as well as a deep disc priest. Another solution is to simply respec often. What I'd recommend doing there is finding a nice break around Tuesday to do your arena games. So you do one set of games late in the week and another set early in the next week to minimize respec'ing (if you want to save gold).

So if you raid Kara on Fri, Sat, Sun. You would respec to disc/holy on Monday, play your games, then on Tuesday through Thursday you could play that week's games and not have to respec again until Friday. Only issue you might see with this is Monday can be long queues.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
You pretty much either have to spec holy 23/38 or 20/41 depending on whether there's another priest with divine spirit for raiding and 41/20 for pvp or 13+/4x/x (mind flay imp fear). The specs are just too different to try to hybrid them. From my experience, TBC killed the days of hybrid specs that let you do pve and pvp. Hopefully your guild raids on the weekend or something and you can just respec for it and then respec back or you can do what I did and roll alts to do one or the other.

techgamer

Sep 19, 2007
So a 41/20/0 spec for pvp wouldn't be able to hold up as well as a 20/41/0 for raid healing?

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: techgamer
So a 41/20/0 spec for pvp wouldn't be able to hold up as well as a 20/41/0 for raid healing?

the priest i PVP with before he went shadow PVEd as 41/20 and raid healed T5 content just fine

just make your PMC and Whitemend sets

techgamer

Sep 19, 2007
Originally posted by: Anubis

the priest i PVP with before he went shadow PVEd as 41/20 and raid healed T5 content just fine

awesome, do you know or would you be able to find out specifically which talents he spec'd or is it cookie cutter?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: AyashiKaibutsu
You pretty much either have to spec holy 23/38 or 20/41 depending on whether there's another priest with divine spirit for raiding and 41/20 for pvp or 13+/4x/x (mind flay imp fear). The specs are just too different to try to hybrid them. From my experience, TBC killed the days of hybrid specs that let you do pve and pvp. Hopefully your guild raids on the weekend or something and you can just respec for it and then respec back or you can do what I did and roll alts to do one or the other.

Why do people push empowered healing so much? Using Greater Heal in calculations, Discipline's +mana talent is equivalent if not better. Also, Empowered Healing only closes the gap around 2000 +healing.

techgamer

Sep 19, 2007
Originally posted by: Aikouka
Originally posted by: AyashiKaibutsu

Why do people push empowered healing so much? Using Greater Heal in calculations, Discipline's +mana talent is equivalent if not better. Also, Empowered Healing only closes the gap around 2000 +healing.

Aik, are you saying that i should be fine raid healing as 41/20/0?

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: Anubis

awesome, do you know or would you be able to find out specifically which talents he spec'd or is it cookie cutter?

he was pretty cookie cutter, we ran a 3v3 drain team, Disc/Holy Priest SL Lock and a BM Hunter

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Aik, are you saying that i should be fine raid healing as 41/20/0?

I don't think you'll be horrible but you won't be as good as someone who pushes more into holy. You still get some fine talents only going 20 points into it :).

What I'm trying to say is that the builds he was posting most likely pushes the person into grabbing Empowered Healing (gives you 5% more +healing for GH and 2% more +healing for FH for each rank, 5 ranks) when the +mana talent ( 2% more mana per rank, 5 ranks) is better.

My priest is 29/32, although I'd probably switch things around a little in my build.

techgamer

Sep 19, 2007
ok i'm open to opinions. i'm looking for a disc/holy spec that will allow me to pvp well and raid heal sufficiently as i wont be main healing. but survivability in pvp is primary concern i think.

ggnl

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
ok i'm open to opinions. i'm looking for a disc/holy spec that will allow me to pvp well and raid heal sufficiently as i wont be main healing. but survivability in pvp is primary concern i think.

Keep in mind that any survivability issues stemming from your talent build are going to be exacerbated by lack of proper pvp gear. Unless you get good CC support from your teammates, expect to be dropped nearly instantly by every all-dps team you face until you get 400ish resiliance and 10k+ unbuffed hp. The point I'm trying to make is, if you're serious about pvp, don't short-change yourself in the talent department if you're already at a disadvantage because of gear.

I speak from experience. My resto shaman with 10.7k hp ,400 resil, and 11k armor still occasionally gets crushed in the opening salvo of a match.

techgamer

Sep 19, 2007
Originally posted by: ggnl

Keep in mind that any survivability issues stemming from your talent build are going to be exacerbated by lack of proper pvp gear. Unless you get good CC support from your teammates, expect to be dropped nearly instantly by every all-dps team you face until you get 400ish resiliance and 10k+ unbuffed hp. The point I'm trying to make is, if you're serious about pvp, don't short-change yourself in the talent department if you're already at a disadvantage because of gear.

I speak from experience. My resto shaman with 10.7k hp ,400 resil, and 11k armor still occasionally gets crushed in the opening salvo of a match.

so basically it takes a while for anyone to be semi competitive because you have to get geared up?

ggnl

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004

so basically it takes a while for anyone to be semi competitive because you have to get geared up?

Basically yeah, but you can always battleground for some season 1 gear just to get off the ground. Even with a 1300ish rating you'll still pull in enough points in a 3v3 to get a piece of S3 gear every 5 weeks or so. Throw in welfare epics and the pve gear you'll be getting from kara and you should be in a pretty good position to be competitive by the time season 4 starts.

BZeto

Platinum Member
Apr 28, 2002
My priest: http://www.wowarmory.com/chara...xml?r=Dethecus&n=Frewt

Don't play 2v2 or 3v3 anymore, I pretty much only log on to 5v5. We were at 2k last week but dropped 100 points due to flat out bad play. I wouldnt really consider anything less than 41 disc for pvp, Focused Will is just so much better than Blessed Recovery.

Expect to get destroyed until you get the pvp gear, no different than any other class though.

As far as raid healing with that spec, it works for karazhan just fine. I dont plan to do any 25 content because I find it boring as hell.

Good luck!

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

Yep, essentially you will probably waste one whole season unless you do a ton of BG PVP in between and pick up season 1.

I know the feeling of losing to gear in arena... it kind of sucks :(. Lost to a fully-geared warrior+paladin team on my rogue+priest team when we both had pretty poor gear... yet the warrior only had around 200hp left at the end and the Paladin was dead. When you look at situations like that and think, "If we had their gear... it would've been so much easier." But hey, we never drop to anything like 1300 even with mediocre gear. There are lots of bad players in the 1500-ish bracket, but you also tend to run into teams that sold their old PVP team and are now building back up. Hitting those really sucks :(.

BF04

Sep 25, 2004
Hi, I am little confused on the PvP since I am still somewhat new to WoW.

I have started PvP with my Paly who is lvl 32. I only do BG, escpially Aritha Basin as I like that map. Is their something I am missing about the # vs # arena's ? Will I not be able to get other items. I know it is season 3, but no idea what season 1 or 2 was. :)

Also, if anyone has a good talent spec for PvP for a Paly I would like to see one.

thanks.

ggnl

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004
Originally posted by: BF04
Hi, I am little confused on the PvP since I am still somewhat new to WoW.

I have started PvP with my Paly who is lvl 32. I only do BG, escpially Aritha Basin as I like that map. Is their something I am missing about the # vs # arena's ? Will I not be able to get other items. I know it is season 3, but no idea what season 1 or 2 was. :)

Also, if anyone has a good talent spec for PvP for a Paly I would like to see one.

thanks.

1. The Arena: Arena pvp isn't available until lvl 70. There are three different team sizes. 2v2, 3v3, and 5v5. Evey arena team has a rating based on win/loss ratio. Teams are matched based on their rating so you never have really good teams go up against bad teams. Based on your rating, you a certain number of "arena points" each week. Arena points can be used to buy gear.

2. Seasons: Season one officially started when the Burning Crusade expansion was released. Each season last 3-4 months (I'm not sure exactly and can't look it up at work). We are now in season 3 which started about 3 months ago (I think). With each new season they introduce a new set of gear:

Season 1: Gladiator's
Season 2: Merciless Gladiator's
Season 3: Vengeful Gladiator's

You used to only be able to buy the arena gear only with arena points but now you can buy the season 1 gear with the honor points and tokens you earn in battlegrounds. I can't link to any of the items because all the wow-related sites are blocked at work but someone might be nice enough to do it for me. :)

3. Talent Specs: At your current level pretty much any spec is viable. On my pally, I did a lot of pvp at lower levels using a protection spec. Reckoning + holy shield, which you can get at lvl 40, dominates against melee characters but is especially weak against casters. Retribution is decent at best at lower levels but far outpaces protection for DPS eventually. Holy spec is good at pretty much any level (unless you hate healing like a lot of people do), and is arguably the only viable spec at lvl 70 if you're serious about arena pvp.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
1. The Arena: Arena pvp isn't available until lvl 70. There are three different team sizes. 2v2, 3v3, and 5v5. Evey arena team has a rating based on win/loss ratio. Teams are matched based on their rating so you never have really good teams go up against bad teams. Based on your rating, you a certain number of "arena points" each week. Arena points can be used to buy gear.

Except at the opening of a season... everyone starts at 1500 rating. Also, teams like to sell their charters and start new teams which puts them back at 1500, so a budding team could end up fighting seasoned veterans.

Also, here's the arena gear that you're looking for:
Gladiator (S1): http://www.wowhead.com/?items&...ladiator%27s;maxle=123
Merciless Gladiator (S2): http://www.wowhead.com/?items&...erciless+Gladiator%27s
Vengeful Gladiator (S3): http://www.wowhead.com/?items&...Vengeful+Gladiator%27s

Note that my filter for S1 doesn't include the "Obtained from PVP" source filter because whenever Wowhead changes their filters (add or delete), it will render all old filters useless. I cut out the Blackrock Depths Ring of Law loot by just setting the loot quality to Epic.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Ok so I have a 70 BE priest. I am going to be a supporting healer raiding Kara, but I also want to be viable for PvP. I am obviously thinking disc/holy spec. But I dont know whether to go 41/20, the usual disc spec or to put a few more talents to holy b/c of raiding. Also, I will be teaming 2v2 with a mage and 3v3 with a mage and hunter (irl friends) so any help on perfecting spec towards that would be helpful. (i.e. I've heard using reflective sheild when teamed with mage or hunter is bad b/c dmg can hit their sheep/ice trap.) thanks

Weird..I posted a response..but it "disappeared" :)

Unless you want to pay to respec every week, you're going to have to make a choice to either be a great raid healbot or a great arena healbot IF you want to stay holy spec. One of the great things TBC did for shadow priests is making them a viable healer for instances as long as you team up with someone who is going to heal [shadow priest + Holy pally = awesome healing/dps setup].

You can however be raidhealbot spec'd and do well in WSG, AB, AV, and EOTS. One word of advice - TRY to get in on a premade for WSG, AB, and EOTS so you can build up honor/tokens a lot faster AND have fun in those BG's.

My priest is holy spec'd and does fairly well in the BG's. I haven't touched the Arena's because I'm too busy having fun Arena'ng on my rogue. :)