WoW PvP patch scheduled for 12/5

wheresmybacon

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
This is taken from a stickie on the WoW General Forums

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=51145118&sid=1

says Drysc, the dripping Tree:

The next World of Warcraft content update, ?Before the Storm,? will include the new PvP Honor System, as well as other new features that will prepare us for The Burning Crusade expansion. We are currently planning to release this content update next Tuesday, December 5. Please note that the patch date is still subject to change, and we will keep you informed of any changes to the plan as they happen.

If the patch goes live as planned, this will be the last week that new PvP ranks under the old Honor System can be earned, as the patch will immediately introduce the new Honor System. We will run one final honor calculation on December 5 and update everyone?s ranking accordingly on that date so that players who achieve a new rank for that week have the opportunity to display that title on their character. Please note, however, that no new PvP rewards will be unlocked for purchase with this final ?old Honor System? calculation, regardless of any increase in rank.

For those who have been seeking high-rank PvP armor and weapons, note that the new Honor System will still include these item rewards, and it will actually be easier to earn these items under the new Honor System than under the old Honor System. Those who wish to see how their PvP abilities measure up against other players will still be able to do so under the new Arena System.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
What's going to be unfun is trying to find people I want to PVP with in the Arena. Also, it seems you not only need 1 team, but 3 teams all together. Since you can only have a certain amount of ranked arena matches (20 I believe) and I believe this is also per player amount, you'd need to compete in all 3 to have a high amount of points. I don't know if you're actually allowed to compete in all 3 or if you do, that the others will count. But what I'm glad is that the limit will make it so time doesn't necessarily matter... just as long as you have enough time to do the max amount of matches.

But here's my questions so far:

1) Blizzard mentioned early on that team registration may be like guilds where you have a charter and sign up with x people (x being your area, 2 for 2v2 etc) and then have n alternates. If your team wins, but you're not in the match, does it count for you?

2) How will PVP and PVE be balanced? Before PVP was "hard" because you had to put up with those that have no life, but now the amount that counts is regulated. So PVP will still take time to accrue the amount of points, but it is essentially very random when it comes to difficulty. A boss encounter rarely changes difficulty (there are some, such as Nefarian and the different Drakonids and Chromaggus and the different breaths) and it still must be overcome, which usually comes in at a hefty price (such as consumables for the Noth the Plaguebringer fight and repair bills for many other encounters). I can't remember the rule, but aren't all potion buffs stripped from you when you enter the arena? So, you'll never have the concept of people with tons of money to get items like Flasks, etc will win, but that also removes part of the difficulty. Now, we can't say much until we see what the newer encounters will be like in TBC, but I've always felt that PVP made gear too easy to get and now Blizzard says they will be doing their best to make PVP gear equivalent to the current top-of-the-line PVE gear.

3) Will we have our talent points reset when Burning Crusade comes out? I know they're being reset for this patch, but certain builds will be used to make the best of the lack of 10 points and these builds may not be ideal when TBC comes out over a month later.

wheresmybacon

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
Originally posted by: Aikouka
What's going to be unfun is trying to find people I want to PVP with in the Arena. Also, it seems you not only need 1 team, but 3 teams all together. Since you can only have a certain amount of ranked arena matches (20 I believe) and I believe this is also per player amount, you'd need to compete in all 3 to have a high amount of points. I don't know if you're actually allowed to compete in all 3 or if you do, that the others will count. But what I'm glad is that the limit will make it so time doesn't necessarily matter... just as long as you have enough time to do the max amount of matches.

Why do you need 3 teams? One for each situation? (i.e. 2v2, 5v5, etc)? I haven't played in Beta or on the PTR yet so I really don't have a clue how this teams thing is going to work.

But here's my questions so far:

1) Blizzard mentioned early on that team registration may be like guilds where you have a charter and sign up with x people (x being your area, 2 for 2v2 etc) and then have n alternates. If your team wins, but you're not in the match, does it count for you?

I don't have a clue on this either. In fact, I don't think anyone has experienced it first hand b/c as I understand it they aren't allowing premades in beta or on the ptr.

2) How will PVP and PVE be balanced? Before PVP was "hard" because you had to put up with those that have no life, but now the amount that counts is regulated. So PVP will still take time to accrue the amount of points, but it is essentially very random when it comes to difficulty. A boss encounter rarely changes difficulty (there are some, such as Nefarian and the different Drakonids and Chromaggus and the different breaths) and it still must be overcome, which usually comes in at a hefty price (such as consumables for the Noth the Plaguebringer fight and repair bills for many other encounters). I can't remember the rule, but aren't all potion buffs stripped from you when you enter the arena? So, you'll never have the concept of people with tons of money to get items like Flasks, etc will win, but that also removes part of the difficulty. Now, we can't say much until we see what the newer encounters will be like in TBC, but I've always felt that PVP made gear too easy to get and now Blizzard says they will be doing their best to make PVP gear equivalent to the current top-of-the-line PVE gear.

Balanced in terms of pve gear drops vs. pvp gear rewards? I don't know for certain but I'm willing to bet that the best PvE drops will continue to edge out ahead of PvP rewards for some stats, while pvp will edge out ahead for others, much as it is now. Think T2 vs. PvP Rank 12+ set.

3) Will we have our talent points reset when Burning Crusade comes out? I know they're being reset for this patch, but certain builds will be used to make the best of the lack of 10 points and these builds may not be ideal when TBC comes out over a month later.

I would be very surprised if they don't reset talent points upon BC release, but then again I don't think anything official has been said yet.

At the end of the day one of us is confused here. I was under the impression that for this patch it was *just* the points system going live, not the arenas, and the current BG's and their respective rewards would continue to be just as they are, the only difference is you would buy them with tokens and not faction/cash. This would also apply to rewards for rank as well. Is that inaccurate?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: hungfarover
Why do you need 3 teams? One for each situation? (i.e. 2v2, 5v5, etc)? I haven't played in Beta or on the PTR yet so I really don't have a clue how this teams thing is going to work.

That's what I'm suggesting. But from what I've heard people say in the realm's IRC chat room, they seem to be playing with random people right now in the Arenas.

I don't have a clue on this either. In fact, I don't think anyone has experienced it first hand b/c as I understand it they aren't allowing premades in beta or on the ptr.

Don't need premades if you transfer your 60's over :). I have 3 of my characters on the PTR, I've just been too busy/lazy to really play it. But like I said above, from what I've understood is that people are playing that I talk to are playing in PUG-esque situations.

Balanced in terms of pve gear drops vs. pvp gear rewards? I don't know for certain but I'm willing to bet that the best PvE drops will continue to edge out ahead of PvP rewards for some stats, while pvp will edge out ahead for others, much as it is now. Think T2 vs. PvP Rank 12+ set.

Balanced in terms to difficulty to get the reward (gear or whatever it may be). PVP was never very hard to get certain gear, but there were always holes and to fill those holes, you needed to PVE for gear. But now it sounds like Blizzard is making it so you can choose to either PVP or PVE. Gear will change every 3 months in the PVP Arena as the seasons are only 3 months long.

At the end of the day one of us is confused here. I was under the impression that for this patch it was *just* the points system going live, not the arenas, and the current BG's and their respective rewards would continue to be just as they are, the only difference is you would buy them with tokens and not faction/cash. This would also apply to rewards for rank as well. Is that inaccurate?

The arenas are on the PTR from what I've been able to ascertain. Like I said, I haven't personally went to look yet, but I may just go try that tonight (if they're still up).

EDIT: To be a bit more clear, from what I've always read, this patch is supposed to be essentially everything you'd need to play if you didn't upgrade your WoW account to Burning Crusade. Blizzard can't really lock you out of all the talents, as there were some new talents inserted below the current 31-point talents. The Arena will become the newer and more preferred PVP system and I'm not sure what level it starts at, but it's usable by 60s. Essentially, this is the bridge between World of Warcraft and The Burning Crusade. Even if you don't upgrade your account, you should still be able to play when TBC comes out with this patch. Although, you won't have access to the newer zones, instances, races or levels, you will be able to see said races. So this patch probably also includes all the new models for weapons and such as a person in normal WoW could see someone in full T4 with fancy weapons in IF, so they'd need the data as well.

wheresmybacon

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
Good info. I'll try and ask around tonight when I'm off work to see if the arenas are indeed live on PTR. That would be pretty cool if they are.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Good info. I'll try and ask around tonight when I'm off work to see if the arenas are indeed live on PTR. That would be pretty cool if they are.

They are, I went on PTR to play around yesterday afternoon. Although, ranked matches are not available as you need to be level 68.

I also got a chance to check out "pricing" on all PVP rewards and it doesn't seem too bad. Supposedly you can get about 300-ish honor points per AV win and as an example, the Ironbark Staff from AB is 22000 honor points and I think it was 25 or 50 AB tokens. So, that's about 70 AV wins (not hard if you're Alliance) and then a bunch of AB pug losses :p.

wheresmybacon

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
Originally posted by: Aikouka

They are, I went on PTR to play around yesterday afternoon. Although, ranked matches are not available as you need to be level 68.

I also got a chance to check out "pricing" on all PVP rewards and it doesn't seem too bad. Supposedly you can get about 300-ish honor points per AV win and as an example, the Ironbark Staff from AB is 22000 honor points and I think it was 25 or 50 AB tokens. So, that's about 70 AV wins (not hard if you're Alliance) and then a bunch of AB pug losses :p.

I don't know *anything* about ranked matches. Can you offer some info on that at all? I wish I could look this stuff up, but I'm at work for another 7 hours or so and all gaming sites are blocked.

I'm exalted in all the BG's so I don't need any faction rewards, but I would like to get my hands on some of the rank (13/14) awards which, as I understand it, are also available to purchase with appropriate honor and tokens.

Can't wait for Tuesday! :)

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Ranked matches decide the "champions" of the Arena system as the Arena system only lasts in seasons (every 3 months). As to what these champions get, I don't know.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Arena right now in PTR is really disconcerting because only those who were serious (well-geared ppl) actually downloaded the 450MB+ PTR client to try it. Needless to say I got dead more than I'm used to, even though I have Marshal gear. Can't wait till it's live and there's fewer epiced++ ppl & premades.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: rh71
premades.

No premades on test at the moment. I didn't even try arena because I knew people'd be too serious about it and personally... I need more time to play with my build to see if it's worthwhile. I had to give up Inner Focus for Vampiric Touch on my priest and I'm not too sure if that was a good thing to do :x.

Also, my mage's build dropped Elemental Precision, which I don't like doing much. I haven't even specced my rogue yet, but I've been playing with builds and I should be able to get some nice abilities, but going too far in any tree spells disaster as I'll lose Lethality if I spec too far in Combat. So I may stay with my Assassination-heavy build (currently 31/8/12) and modify it by removing some of the Subtlety talents to grab some of the nicer Assassination talents.