Wow, never thought that I would see a new MLC SSD report 1% health.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
But my VisionTek GoDrive 120GB is doing just that. CDI reports "Health Status - Bad 1%".

Most of the stats are fairly normal, more or less, nearly 7000 hours POH but that's nothing for an SSD, even a HDD.

Both Host Reads and Host Writes are showing 0 in RAW values, and SSD Life Left (E7) is showing Current 1 Worst 1 Threshold 10 Raw 00000800000001.

Seems to be some sort of error indicator?

This is a SandForce 2nd-Gen drive, so who knows how screwed up it might be, but so far, it boots Win10 and runs fine. Wondering at what point it will just drop dead and refuse to boot any more.

I've backed up anything important on it. (It's just for mining, mainly.)

Just a bit surprised, as my friend's Crucial M500 120GB SATA MLC SSD, is 11% used after like 5 years.

But mine's down to 1%???

Maybe mining takes its toll on SSD, like Distributed Computing did to my 30GB OCZ SATAII drives.

Edit: I've been using this drive for several years, what I meant in the title was that I purchased it new, it wasn't a refurb, so all of the lifespan usage was mine.

Edit: Just above that, "Life Curve Status" (E6) is showing Current 100 Worst 100 Threshold 0 Raw 00000000000064. Which is what my other two nearly-new GoDrive SSDs also show.

I may do a secure-erase, and see what happens to the SMART stats afterwards.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Mining doesn't really do much reading and writing as far as storage is concerned, at least with the miners I have used. Unless you mean you are syncing large wallets on that drive.

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
Some drives have strange SMART parameters, I would not be surprised if it was the inverse (99% life remaining).

Glaring_Mistake

Mar 2, 2015
But my VisionTek GoDrive 120GB is doing just that. CDI reports "Health Status - Bad 1%".

Most of the stats are fairly normal, more or less, nearly 7000 hours POH but that's nothing for an SSD, even a HDD.

Both Host Reads and Host Writes are showing 0 in RAW values, and SSD Life Left (E7) is showing Current 1 Worst 1 Threshold 10 Raw 00000800000001.

Seems to be some sort of error indicator?

This is a SandForce 2nd-Gen drive, so who knows how screwed up it might be, but so far, it boots Win10 and runs fine. Wondering at what point it will just drop dead and refuse to boot any more.

I've backed up anything important on it. (It's just for mining, mainly.)

Just a bit surprised, as my friend's Crucial M500 120GB SATA MLC SSD, is 11% used after like 5 years.

But mine's down to 1%???

Maybe mining takes its toll on SSD, like Distributed Computing did to my 30GB OCZ SATAII drives.

Edit: I've been using this drive for several years, what I meant in the title was that I purchased it new, it wasn't a refurb, so all of the lifespan usage was mine.

Edit: Just above that, "Life Curve Status" (E6) is showing Current 100 Worst 100 Threshold 0 Raw 00000000000064. Which is what my other two nearly-new GoDrive SSDs also show.

I may do a secure-erase, and see what happens to the SMART stats afterwards.

Yeah, think that it reports SMART-values inaccurately rather than that it is really worn out.
Not sure if a secure erase will fix that but it's worth a try.

Some drives have strange SMART parameters, I would not be surprised if it was the inverse (99% life remaining).

Think that this is not the case for this drive but agree with the sentiment otherwise.
Like Toshiba drives that have the SMART-attribute Erase Count start at 200 and the drive is worn out when Erase Count reaches 100.
Or like the Samsung 850 Pro and PM863 where life goes down from 100% to 99% after 20 P/E cycles even though they're rated for significantly higher than that.
Or like Crucial MX500 where if you calculate write amplification using the official method you get a quite different result compared to using Host Writes and Wear Levelling Count to calculate it.
Or like with the Samsung 860 EVO (my copy at least) where life went down suddenly from 100% to 98% after 19 P/E.

Reactions: PliotronX

SlowBox

Jul 4, 2018
Just make a image of the drive and just continue to use it until you have to burry it to the ground. good luck