Wow, my friend just got his gas and electric bill

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: ajpa123
I live in a 2 bedroom condo. Each room has its own thermostat, including the bathroom. I turn all my heat to very low at nite.. and only keep it high in the living room when i am home.. Just being wise and saving money.
The owner of the unit downstairs comes to my door to chat and says that his tenant is complaining about her electricity rate/bill and wants him to reduce her rent. So we compared Kilowatt hours.. OMG .. she was using 7 times as much. My bill in December was $54.00.. hers was $358.00. He was like, that B!tch downstairs is trying to take me for a ride.. people are funny !

G:Q:QGLY M:Q:QGLY .. Some people don't know how to economize.

NO!

She's just heating your condo for you. You are above her remember. Lucky.

Saltin

Platinum Member
Jul 21, 2001
This is why it's a good idea to pro-rate the gas bill. It spreads the cost of high winter months across the year. I pay one price every month, regardless of the time of year, and the bill is never a kick in the groin : )

DeadByDawn

Platinum Member
Dec 22, 2003
They let you prepay for propane at the summer price here. That way if it goes way up, you can get your tank filled at the lower summer price. I prepaid for 600 gallons this summer, I hope it lasts until spring.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Riprorin
He lives in Clarence, NY and his bill for January was $639!!!!

Ouch!

my last one was 110

last year it was always 180 at least, ugh

electricity in the winter is around 95-110, in the summer its 175-200

beatle

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2001
Last month was $220 here for all electric (wish I had gas though) for a 4 br house, programmable tstat. Temp is 72 from 5:30 - 11:30am, then from 4:30 - 11:30pm. Other time is 67. The house is insulated very poorly, but I'm renting, so there's not a lot I'm prepared to do aside from trying to add a bit more weatherstripping.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Just got a $240 electric bill here... Gas is about $200 or so a month in the winter. Going to buy a new drier tonight (switching to a gas drier), and a new refrigerator. Our fridge seems to run constantly (about 25 year old - time for a newer more efficient one). I was kinda shocked at the cost of the electric bill.

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Crazymofo
What are heat and electric bills?? I dont get any of those:D:p
Those are things you have to worry about when you move out of your parents' basement. So you'll probably never have to think about them. :p

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Originally posted by: thenerdguy
It was $11,000 but it was installed 8 years ago.
Its placed about 50 FT away from my house i got the extra long stack on it and no i dont smell smoke.
I also heat my water with it. I use about a cord of wood every winter month. In the summer i might use a cord of wood all summer.
I have a forest on my place so i can cut as much wood as i want. :)

I really like it when the power goes out. Ive got a 10 hour battery setup for the blower and four batteries in case the power is off longer. :)

Interesting...got any pics of that setup??

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Gas bill last month was about $50 higher than the highest I've ever gotten in 10+ years. We immediately started using the woodburning stove more in the evenings when we're home. It can heat the whole house (it's not that big) for about 6 hours with 8 or so 18" split pieces of wood. Strange, but it's got to be cheaper than using gas.

arcas

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2001
A coworker lives in a second-floor apartment flanked by neighbors on the left and right. During a cold spell last week (high temps in the teens and low 20s), he turned his heat completely off before leaving for work one day. Came home and the apartment was 73F. He says he's going to send a 'Thank you' card to his downstairs neighbor when his lease is up. :)

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Joeyman
the 4 bills for my previous apartment hovered around $10 per bill....of course this was because the electric wheel the meter man reads broke and they never bothered to come around and fix it

it was great screwing CA electric for once :D

they will find out. and you will be found out as well.

my dad's job is to catch people like you.

but good job!!

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I live in a third floor apartment, with one floor above. It's great, we rarely turn the heater on, and the place never gets under 70 degrees, usually about 73.

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Pepsi90919
Originally posted by: Joeyman
the 4 bills for my previous apartment hovered around $10 per bill....of course this was because the electric wheel the meter man reads broke and they never bothered to come around and fix it

it was great screwing CA electric for once :D

they will find out. and you will be found out as well.

my dad's job is to catch people like you.

but good job!!

See that's the thing, I don't think they will. We lived in an apartment surrounded by empty apartments, this was during the time the electric refund was credited to the account, and the bill wasn't in my name nor is the account even active anymore (roomate the bill was under canceled 2 months ago and still havn't heard anything).

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Riprorin
Originally posted by: optoman
Wow, he needs to turn down the thermostat. We just got ours and its $155, gas and electric. When will it get warmer?

Actaully, they are saying by next weekend we could see the freezing mark. :D

He alleges that he keeps his house at 65!

how do you know he doesn't?? do you know how big his house is?? does he have a high ceiling? how is it insulated??

our 2400 sq ft house with a 16 foot living room ceiling used to run us over $500.00 in the winter.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Holy crap. Mine was $50, because we have had the fire on a lot. Our primary heating is covered by electric though, so my bill may be as high as $150 next time, but probably not even that high.

JC

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
I just got a $280 propane fillup today :Q My thermostat never goes over 67, and it's 58 at night. And I use an electric dryer!

Electric bill is $50-60 max, including heated waterbed ;)

JC

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
I pay $212 on a budget plan(same payment all year).

Although, I do live in an 80+ year old house with 29 windows.

Rudee

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
I program my electronic thermostat to lower the room temperature while I'm at work, and raise it to normal shortly before I return home. No sense heating and empty house. Saves $$$

johnjosh

Banned
Dec 13, 2003
wow that is high bill, our house electric bill is around $200 but keep our house at 73f during the day and lower it to 68 during the night

steph30

Mar 21, 2003
Our house is 2200 sq. ft. and our power bill this month was a high one. $288 In all fairness, we've run our pool this year 24X7 (a first for us, we usually turn the pump off for a few months) and on top of that we had my in-laws here almost a month (ahhh!) and they keep it at 78 all the time.

Typically, we run less than $200 a month, but I do keep it at 75 during the summer months when it's hot. (We're in Ga.)

Stephanie

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
They just filled up our oil tank from practically empty = $185

Monthly electric bill = $60

This house is usually very cold too... no A/C needed in the hottest summer days... because of the tile floors. For winter, we keep it at about 65-67F all day/night... draft assistance makes it cooler than it feels. :|

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: LAUST
Originally posted by: JHawk
My gas bill is about $100/month more than last year for appromimately the same useage.:disgust:
I am so sick of these mofo's, there must be a way to heat our houses for cheaper.
Solar. :) You'll just never recover from the cost to put that stuff up on your roof. ;)