Wow mini iPods!

gentobu

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2001

Thinksecret
December 23, 2003 - With rumors rampant, Think Secret can confirm that Apple CEO Steve Jobs will focus on the release of new low-end, 'mini iPods' and a major update to its iLife digital ensemble at his Macworld Expo keynote address on January 6 in San Francisco, Calif.

Reliable sources inside and outside of Apple have confirmed Apple will announce the new pocket-size iPods in a number of capacities and in various colors, including stripes. Capacities will be 2 and 4GB -- meaning users could store some 400 and 800 songs, respectively. Prices will start at around $100US, Think Secret has learned. It is not known if the new product line will be available immediately after introduction.

It is also expected that current iPod models will be revamped to add body colors as well.

The addition of mini iPods is not unexpected what with recent comments by Jobs that such a device has been an Apple priority and MP3 industry watchers confirming the market is wide open for Apple to take a lead in technology and offer a better, faster, cheaper, low-end MP3 player.

The announcement of the new mini iPods will be the catalyst for a keynote that will concentrate primarily on music. Numerous sources have confirmed the keynote will be some two-plus hours in length and will be "music centric," as one source put it.

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2001
Hmmm... Might have to check that out. I have to admit, I'm not a huge Apple fan, but the iPod has been a great product for them...

zimu

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2001
i dont' think they shoudl change the color of the ipod, its such a distinctive feature!

Gravity

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2003
Yup, I can't lug around 30 gigs of music anywayz. Storage like the rio nitrus for the price of this new device would be fitting!

DurocShark

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
Originally posted by: zimu
i dont' think they shoudl change the color of the ipod, its such a distinctive feature!

And it's most easily duplicated feature as well. If the color becomes the only distinguishing characteristic then it will sink fast. They need to make sure the interface is the primary feature.

I think the interface is great. Not worth the $$, but great.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
I wonder what they will use for a 1 - 4 gig storage device? hard drive? i didnt think they make small HD's with that low of a capacity

dartworth

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: sygyzy
I wonder what they will use for a 1 - 4 gig storage device? hard drive? i didnt think they make small HD's with that low of a capacity

microdrives?

metalmania

Platinum Member
May 7, 2002
Toshiba.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Include an FM tuner, make sure that Dell S&P sells it and I'll buy (a few dozen ;) ).

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
Originally posted by: dartworth

microdrives?

Doubt it. For various reasons they are not very reliable, and they are big battery drains. The only other recent HD innovation (after the small laptop HD's that apple, Rio, and iRiver use) are the 1GB hard drives found in the Creative Muvo X2 and the Rio Nitrus. So sure that solves the 1GB option. What about 2GB? 3GB?

Have you ever tried buying a new 2GB IDE drive? They are MORE expensive than drives that hold 10x the space. The reason? Nobody makes them!

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Those would sell like Hotcakes. Most people don't need large storage capacity for the MP3 players. A 1 gig would be more than enough for me.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Doubt it. For various reasons they are not very reliable, and they are big battery drains. The only other recent HD innovation (after the small laptop HD's that apple, Rio, and iRiver use) are the 1GB hard drives found in the Creative Muvo X2 and the Rio Nitrus. So sure that solves the 1GB option. What about 2GB? 3GB?

? its those new 1.5gb stripped down tiny harddrives found in other players already. i'm sure by the time the micro ipods come out 2-4gb versions will exist. i'm sure he's working closely with the manufacturer.

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
Originally posted by: RossMAN
Include an FM tuner, make sure that Dell S&P sells it and I'll buy (a few dozen ;) ).

AM/FM tuner and i'd consider buying it.