Wow, just installed & started to use DVD Shrink (it's free)

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
mrbass posted a link to DVD Shrink 3.1 in Hot Deals here

I actually figured out how to use it & it's awesome and free:D

No more 2 disk backups:D :D :D

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose

Funny you mention it. I'm ripping a movie with version 3.1 for the first time as we speak (previously was using beta 3 v5)
Edit: Make sure to choose deep analysis in the recoding options, takes longer but quality is worth it!

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001

I totally agree. I was using DVDXCopy Xpress (rips just the movie, 1 DVD) and I liked it very much (still do). I had a problem with a futurama disc that I couldn't rip the other day. It kept bombing out at 99freakingpercent saying the disc had an error.

I downloaded 3.1 and it's awesome. It was able to do the whole disc without that last error and I was very pleased with the results. Honestly the end results look about the same, no real quality advantage between the two, but I just like the interface and the ability of the software.

Two thumbs up.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by: aircooled

Funny you mention it. I'm ripping a movie with version 3.1 for the first time as we speak (previously was using beta 3 v5)
Edit: Make sure to choose deep analysis in the recoding options, takes longer but quality is worth it!

Ok here's my quesiton. All the guides on Doom9 and DVDRhelp.com never tell to do deep scan and only say "let the quick scan finish", making you think to only use quick scanning.

I was looking for a reason to use deep scanning, but never found one. I didn't search too indepth, cause i figured i'd ask on one of the forums. So why exactly is deep analysis better than just the quick one? Does it really help?

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
When DVD shrink has to use heavy compression, the Deep Analysis setting will help the image quality by 'looking' at the DVD first to decide what scenes to compress higher than others. For large movies like LOTR I would recommended it. You may see more frequent pixel-ation or blocky-ness with the quick-scan. But it's all in the eye of the beholder.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by: aircooled
When DVD shrink has to use heavy compression, the Deep Analysis setting will help the image quality by 'looking' at the DVD first to decide what scenes to compress higher than others. For large movies like LOTR I would recommended it. You may see more frequent pixel-ation or blocky-ness with the quick-scan. But it's all in the eye of the beholder.

Thats what i figured, but I assumed it could probably also do that on the fly. None of the guides talked about it, so I figured maybe it wasn't really worth the time spent.

HyTekJosh

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2001
Is it possible to keep the DVD menus when using DVD shrink to put an entire dvd movie on one disc?

jfall

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2000
Is it possible to keep the DVD menus when using DVD shrink to put an entire dvd movie on one disc?

You pick what you want to keep and what you want to lose.

I am most interested in the new feature that will automatically open up Nero and burn the disc :D

HyTekJosh

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2001
Originally posted by: jfall
You pick what you want to keep and what you want to lose. I am most interested in the new feature that will automatically open up Nero and burn the disc :D

Last time I tried, I couldn't figure out how to recreate the DVD menus. It would allow allow me to work with the actual video files...

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Just pick the top menu folder rather than default main movie folder. I get all the menu's and special features evey time (another reason why I pick deep analysis).

slpaulson

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2000
I just use nero recode.
Although my dvds burned in nero never work in dvd players, bah.
That's what dvd decrypter is for I guess.