Wow!!! Jason Kidd got traded for Marbury

mztykal

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Damn them! Phoenix traded it's cornerstone for a POS! Damn them! They will suffer now! J. Kidd will make them pay! :|

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
i personally would much rather have marbury. He's not done anything horrible for PR, and well they needed to try something new. Besides did you see marbury at the end of the all star game

Oct 19, 2000
Wow, that kinda suprises me. Kidd is a good player, but I think Marbury could be a better leader of a team to take them where they need to go.

syzygy

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2001
why all the anti-marbury ranting ? this kid is younger, can score, penetrate, and do almost
anything better than kidd. kidd is probably a better rebounder and maybe a better defensive player (which is isn't saying much for either), but nothing more. the one intangible kidd
has over marbury is that he's played for winners and playoff teams while marbury has played
on only one winning team. minnesote in fact did not become a perennial playoff team until
marbury left. marbury is probably a more immature player on the court while kidd has
serious shortcomings away from the court. pick your poison :)

Shmorq

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2000
Kidd is NOT gonna like being in NJ. He's a passer, but who's he gonna pass to??? No one can shoot on the Nets.

In the papers today, Marbury is quoted as saying that he'll be on a team that can get it in the hole.

syzygy

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2001
despite what i read on atot yesterday, there isn't any word that
kenyon martin will be part of this trade. there will be more players
included to even out the salary cap for both teams, but martin will
not be among those included.

new jersey has a few shooters. van horn has a decent perimeter game.
if kittles comes back, kidd will have a great shooter to look for.
but i still think new jersey screwed themselves.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Tell me, is New Jersey as bad as it is portrayed by the Media (not the team but the whole state)? I've never been there myself so I haven't any personal experience to go on.

d0ofy

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
New Jersey is a polluted dump. People live there because it's a suburb of NYC and Philadelphia. There is really nothing else notable in NJ except Atlantic City.

I think the Nets are better off with Marbury.

webnewland

Golden Member
Apr 21, 2001
In my opinion, New Jersey got the better of the deal. Jason Kidd is probaly the best point guard in the league, the most completely. Marbury is good, but mostly only in scoring. Plus Nets will get another guy because of Kidd's higher salary, which make the deal even sweeter for them. And I question Marbury's attitude. First he wasn't happy that he was in Minnesota, then after a short time in New Jersey, he want to be traded again. What will happen after a loosing season in Phoenix?
Only time will tell

Linh

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999

<< New Jersey is a polluted dump >>

I currently live in Manhattan, but to tell you the truth, I'd MUCH rather be ANYWHERE else than NYC. God i hate this city

gooch

Oct 11, 1999
I'm anxious to see how this works out next season. Sure Jason Kidd is a great PG, and we will miss him, but imagine what the Marion/Marbury combo will do out there...

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

<< but imagine what the Marion/Marbury combo will do out there... >>

Allow the Suns to come in 5th place?

Quickfingerz

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2000
I dunno, i mean the Suns will have talent but honestly I don't like Marbury. He was the one that forced the trade out of Minnesota and now look Minnesota has done pretty well while the Nets have sucked. I mean marbury has to be the man I don't think he can do too well with in a Marbury/Hardaway/Marion combo. Maybe have Hardaway as the point guard so that Marbury can score. It's hard to say.

Kidd is different, he's helped his teams go to the playoffs the past 5 seasons and next season with him at the helm. I have to admit this is the biggest shock of a trade since I can remember. I guess the owner wanted to sell tickets because Kidd is a franchise player he is IMHO the second most dominant player in the NBA (second only to shaq).

Kidd's dominance is indirect he can make anyone that plays around him look good. If he plays long enough, he should go down as the best pure point guard in NBA history because he's better now than John Stockton ever was. He just never had a surrounding cast that Stockton has had.

monto

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 1999

<< the rest of the suns are probably agonizing about this one >>

agreed...hardaway coping with marbury, 2 ball hogs on one team

mztykal

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Kidd is a play-maker not a scorer. Who's he going to pass to on the Nets? Martin? The 10 point wonder. Van Horn? Can you say scrub? They have a great line-up at NJ, they always did, they just can't mesh enough to become productive. Hopefully Kidd and Kittle's and Martin will hook-up. That would be a killer combo. :D

Damn Phoenix. :(

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
NJ made out like fat cats on this deal. Marbury is so over rated. He has never made any of his teams better. I don't even think he has even seen the second round, has he?

dvda

May 10, 2001
Phe4onix screwed themselves royally. Kidd is a better passer, better rebounder, better defender, and a much better floor leader. Leadership and the ability to properly run an offence are the key for a PG, not scoring. Marbury cried his way out of Minnesota because he wanted to be &quot;the man&quot; on a team and not have to play on a team where KG is the man. He is a loser, and a cancer on the court. He is like Rod Stricklnad in that he can get 8 assists and still do it in a way that is detrimental to the team. Kidd might be able to take NJ to the playoffs, but Pheonix probably won't. Also keep in mind that Kidd is only 4 years older than Stephon and has been injured less so the age thing is not that big a deal. Marbury also has a bad history with Gugliotta and the Suns just traded away Cliff Robinson for nothing (Jud Buschler and John Wallace) to Detroit. The Suns will be significantly worse next year.

Quickfingerz

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2000
Kidd has much better fundamentals as a basketball player. His biggest highs are decision making and defense.