Wow, its getting chilly outside in the morning

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
I try not to run the AC/Heat in the winter months here, letting my computers provide some heating by running S@H at night, with two SFF systems running it 24/7.

Last night, however, my internet stalled, and all Seti computations were ceased, allowing the computers to go to idle status.

The result? Its fricking cold inside my apartment too!

Jun 14, 2003
welcome to 3 weeks ago for me....

it gets quite bright and sunny during the day, and my office is always toasty but the wind outside is bitterly cold.

im glad i got a new radiator installed in my room when we upgraded the central heating to a combi boiler (no more boiler to heat the water then store it in a tank, just super hot water as an when you need it) my bedrooms superb on a morning now...actually dont mind gettin out of bed because my room is no longer like the inside of a freezer

Patt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
Welcome to my world ... northern Alberta, Canada ... this morning when I went out to start my car it was -32 degrees Celcius (-26 Fahrenheit). I'm glad I plugged it in yesterday or it wouldn't have started. Of course, then I wouldn't have been able to make it to work. :p

Put it this way, I live in a valley, and I work outside the valley. The car warms up on the way to work (25 minute drive), but when I drive back into the valley, because the car isn't working hard enough, the engine temp plummets and cold air comes back out the vents :(

Edit: -42 C and -43F with the windchill factored in :(

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Patt
Welcome to my world ... northern Alberta, Canada ... this morning when I went out to start my car it was -32 degrees Celcius (-26 Fahrenheit). I'm glad I plugged it in yesterday or it wouldn't have started. Of course, then I wouldn't have been able to make it to work. :p

Put it this way, I live in a valley, and I work outside the valley. The car warms up on the way to work (25 minute drive), but when I drive back into the valley, because the car isn't working hard enough, the engine temp plummets and cold air comes back out the vents :(

Shoot, its about 45, 40 after wind chill right now. After a few years of living in Phoenix, thats damn cold. :p

Running the heater will cost money, so I don't want to do that unless I have to. Its cool enough in here to drop the idle temp on my X2 4200 from 28C to 24C.

I'm going to pick up another set of long johns after payday, definitely will need them when I go back to Michigan for Christmas.

OVerLoRDI

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
Originally posted by: Patt

That's impressive... I have never seen a car engine's temp drop while driving. What kind of car are you driving? Also just curious what kind of work do you have up there in Alberta?

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
seriously dude it was like 60 degrees this morning...my ballz froze and i had to go back in to get my ski jacket.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
It was in the low 60s here today...supposed to drop down in the 30s tonight. That's about as cold as it ever gets in SoCal...unless you're up in the mountains.

Kalvin00

Lifer
Jan 11, 2003
26 here this morn, high of 54! brrr

Supposed to be mid/upper 60s for highs this weekend! woohoooo