Wow, it seems Lindows actually did it! They created a linux distro for newbies.

Rallispec

Lifer
Jul 26, 2001
whoa... i wonder if walmart is still selling pc's loaded with lindows.

i might have to give it a try.

rpc64

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2002
Originally posted by: Rallispec

Sarcasm?

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Originally posted by: rpc64

Sarcasm?

I don't know if you meant sarcasm about trying it or if wal mart had it. If its about wal mart, they do carry pc's with lindows. It might not hurt to try it out sometime... I wonder what the compatibility between it and Windows programs is like.

bjc112

Lifer
Dec 23, 2000

I would also like to give it a try...

There isn't a trial available is there?

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: AgaBooga
Originally posted by: rpc64

Sarcasm?

I don't know if you meant sarcasm about trying it or if wal mart had it. If its about wal mart, they do carry pc's with lindows. It might not hurt to try it out sometime... I wonder what the compatibility between it and Windows programs is like.

You can run whatever windows programs will run with wine...

The review made it sound VERY appealing, especially for the non power user. If all aunt Flo needs is email + internet, this looks like the cheap way to go now.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: rbloedow
Wow! I wonder if it'll ever take off? I hope so :D

If it does, I'm adding this to my list of owned OS's. $50 for a kick ass Linux version that I can learn on and then move to Mandrake 9.1 or SuSE 8.2? Sweet. :D

BadNewsBears

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: RossMAN

Yep

Ross thats the trial membership to that click n run thing discussed in the article. Try going to walfart and playing around on it. (note: wlmart= lindows 3.0 NOT 4.0)

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
I've heard about this for some time but I never gave it much attention. I wonder if 10 years from now we will get choices from a Dell or Dell-like company for OS'es different than Microsoft, like Lindows or a MAC OS. I think I'm going to give Lindows a try and dual boot or something because I've only used Linux a few times other than on my website and that too I just FTp'ed in. I think Linux and Unix based OS'es are much better for running CGI and SQL databases, IMO.

Anyway, I can't wait to try out Lindows if it is as great as that article makes it sound. I'm willing to try a Mac OS too but sadly they don't have a PC version and I don't have the money for a Mac, and if I did, I'd spend it on other things, not that a Mac is bad but because with that much money I can buy more useful things since my PC is just fine for me.

Shuxclams

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I dont think so.... Lindows isn't meant to be an entry point for Linux wannabees...... Its a attampt to make Linux useful for your typical AOL user.

Originally posted by: FFMCobalt

If it does, I'm adding this to my list of owned OS's. $50 for a kick ass Linux version that I can learn on and then move to Mandrake 9.1 or SuSE 8.2? Sweet. :D

SHUX

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Shuxclams
I dont think so.... Lindows isn't meant to be an entry point for Linux wannabees...... Its a attampt to make Linux useful for your typical AOL user.

Originally posted by: FFMCobalt

SHUX

Okay, cool.

bockchow

Platinum Member
Sep 18, 2001
ya stick with redhat or mandrake and give lindows to your mom or something. not saying it's not good, it is very good for what it was designed for like shux said. after RH or drake you can move to like debian slack or some bsd. i got a couple distros and how to books sitting around if you want any.

jonmullen

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2002
Yah I am sure its great for someone who just needs a basic OS...no more pay a arm and a leg to M$, but I dont think you can even call it an entry linux distro cuz if you are really trying to learn about linux I would stay away from it, other wise it looks fine.

NTB

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2001
just finished reading the article, and I may have to give it a shot. Sounds interesting, and it would certainly be cheaper than Windows for basic stuff, as has been said before. If I can find a copy (do they sell this retail anywhere?) I may grab one - There are worse ways to blow $50 :D

Nate

ghostman

Golden Member
Jul 12, 2000
I've heard about this for some time but I never gave it much attention. I wonder if 10 years from now we will get choices from a Dell or Dell-like company for OS'es different than Microsoft, like Lindows or a MAC OS.

Well, MacOS doesn't sound like it'll end up on a PC without emulation anytime soon. Actually, I believe you can get Red Hat installed on a Dell. I remember unpacking a brand new Dell machine and configuring the Linux setup on it last year. I wonder if they still do it.

When Lindows came out, the Linux community frowned upon it. I think they were logging people in as root by default and allowing users to use their click-n-go (?) software to download 3 apps for free. Any additional apps would cost money to download. That's fairly silly, considering the software that they would be paying for were most (all?) GPL'd/other free software anyway. Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I hope they've changed.

In the mean time, for those who are interested in Linux because of this article, I would still recommend getting Red Hat or Mandrake instead. That way, it's free! The setup is actually quite easy. http://www.linuxiso.org/

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: DurocShark
I thought that all linux distros were required to be available for free?

No, they're required to have the source code available under the GPL.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
And the code only has to be availible to the people that buy the product. You could in theory recompile the source code, but without the widgets, images, settings, etc, it wouldn't resemble the original very much.