WoW - Is anyone happy with the class they play?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Originally posted by: Xavier434
I wasn't really questioning your spec recommendation as much as I was making a point regarding one of the reasons behind your recommendation. In general, there just are not enough encounters where a lock would be asked to tank so it isn't something that I would advise even considering when making a spec. If the spec happens to benefit both dps and tanking then it is a win/win situation though.

It was to suggest that the point being placed there had some possible utility in some other facet rather than just throwing the point elsewhere in something that probably wouldn't even be worthwhile at all. The build also includes the immunity to fire/shadow talent that you'd use when tanking Leo as well. The only other place you might be impelled to put that point is Improved Corruption if you prefer to use that.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: dNor
"I liked my class until I read their forums" is pretty much how it is. Man, the WoW forum community are an obnoxious bunch. Rarely anything positive comes out of there.

The classes I play and have been playing since launch are perfectly fine to me and I have fun. Ignoring all the "nerf that" or "buff this" or "X is overpowered" crying makes it even easier to just enjoy the game.

It is also 10 times more enjoyable if you elect to not get involved with PvP and instead just do that with a different game hehe. There is so much less to complain about then.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
It is also 10 times more enjoyable if you elect to not get involved with PvP and instead just do that with a different game hehe. There is so much less to complain about then.

It can actually be kind of fun if you choose the right class. My rogue, even with his poor gear, can still beat up on a lot of classes with no problems. Definitely better than playing my gimp (gear-dependent) warrior.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Aikouka

It can actually be kind of fun if you choose the right class. My rogue, even with his poor gear, can still beat up on a lot of classes with no problems. Definitely better than playing my gimp (gear-dependent) warrior.

Ya, but the "right class" seems to change on a regular basis so if you don't have a bunch of 70's all lined up for it then you are out of luck. :(

ggnl

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004

Ya, but the "right class" seems to change on a regular basis so if you don't have a bunch of 70's all lined up for it then you are out of luck. :(

It depends on what kind of pvp you want to do as well. Like druids are godly healers in 2v2 but are pretty ineffective in 5v5 whereas palaldins are exacly the opposite. When the battlegrounds were marginalized to make way for arena pvp every class was forced into niche roles. Well...warriors can still do it all but every other class was forced into niche roles.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: ggnl

It depends on what kind of pvp you want to do as well. Like druids are godly healers in 2v2 but are pretty ineffective in 5v5 whereas palaldins are exacly the opposite. When the battlegrounds were marginalized to make way for arena pvp every class was forced into niche roles. Well...warriors can still do it all but every other class was forced into niche roles.

Ya, I supposed...I don't know. It's just far to complicated and fragile for me to consider dedicating a lot of time towards. I have tried but I never end up having fun.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Anubis
Originally posted by: BadRobot
If you want pvp go play tf2. mmorpgs mostly arent good at pvp.

umm you cant really compare a FPS game to a mmo that really just doesnt work

Ya, even though both are technically player vs player, the two game types are a completely different experience. I say if you want MMO pvp then go play an MMO game which concentrates more on the pvp aspect of the game.

BadRobot

May 25, 2007
Ya, even though both are technically player vs player, the two game types are a completely different experience. I say if you want MMO pvp then go play an MMO game which concentrates more on the pvp aspect of the game.

Just kind of using it as a reference because it is soley a pvp game, name a popular mmorpg that is all pvp?

Lamont Burns

Platinum Member
Dec 13, 2002

actually i think it has some merit. i know a shitload of people that play wow for the mmo/pve factor but despise wow pvp and use cod4 to fulfill that desire. not a great comparison, but since it happens quite a bit...

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Just kind of using it as a reference because it is soley a pvp game, name a popular mmorpg that is all pvp?

Fury :)

BF04

Sep 25, 2004
I am still a noob when it comes to WoW as I have only been playing since Dec. I basically play with wife and a friend. Our main group currently is:
40 Warrior - me
40 - Warlock - wife
40 - Rogue - friend
We do great on quest and were doing good in on instances until we hit SM Armory(couple of levels ago). That last guy was tough. We did not know the instances repoped after a certain amount of time so now if someone dies it is a problem. So I decided to roll a Paladin. He is currently lvl 32 and for the most part I am happy with him. I only play on the horde side currently. I figured a Paly would fit better in the group since I could tank little and heal/rez when needed.

I have also started PvP with my Paly. Wife and friend do not care for it. I am spec holy/protection so I know I am bascially a buff/heal backup. I think I am doing something wrong though as I die alot. It could be I am only 32 where most of the people in PvP are 37-39. I do really enjoy Aritha Basin though, it not as fast paced and I seem to help out the team more. Wife and friend where impressed with my first blue magic PvP boots though. :) I am thinking of respecing to Retro and hope that once I get upper 30s I will do better in combat.

Overall we are enjoying WoW and plan to play for awhile. We all played EQ2 for 3yrs. I know we will not be raiding as it is only us 3, but still having fun.

We play on a small server also, The Scryers I think it is. I have to admit I have met alot of nice people in the game, despite what is written on the board about the WoW community. :)

ggnl

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2004

PvP is virtually the only thing I do in WoW. Words cannot express how much I hate raiding. So all I can say is, if you're dedicated enough to pvp you'll either find ways to make your class work or roll a new class that does work (I happen to do both, I have 3 70's, working on a 4th, and I actively pvp with all of them).

Yes, it's frustrating when you get hit with nerfs (including indirect nerfs from other classes getting buffed), but eventually the pendulum swings the other way. Hunter's are a good example of formerly bad pvp class that's now very good, rogues were a good example too until they had their buffs partly rolled back on them.

I don't know about your server, but PVP is huge on mine. So the interest is there and Blizz knows it. Expect the pvp content to become much more fully fleshed out in the future.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: ggnl

PvP is virtually the only thing I do in WoW. Words cannot express how much I hate raiding. So all I can say is, if you're dedicated enough to pvp you'll either find ways to make your class work or roll a new class that does work (I happen to do both, I have 3 70's, working on a 4th, and I actively pvp with all of them).

Yes, it's frustrating when you get hit with nerfs (including indirect nerfs from other classes getting buffed), but eventually the pendulum swings the other way. Hunter's are a good example of formerly bad pvp class that's now very good, rogues were a good example too until they had their buffs partly rolled back on them.

I don't know about your server, but PVP is huge on mine. So the interest is there and Blizz knows it. Expect the pvp content to become much more fully fleshed out in the future.

I'm happy you enjoy it. :beer:

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002

I hear Eve is particularly PvP oriented.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

Originally posted by: BF04
We do great on quest and were doing good in on instances until we hit SM Armory(couple of levels ago). That last guy was tough. We did not know the instances repoped after a certain amount of time so now if someone dies it is a problem. So I decided to roll a Paladin. He is currently lvl 32 and for the most part I am happy with him. I only play on the horde side currently. I figured a Paly would fit better in the group since I could tank little and heal/rez when needed.

What sounds awkward is you make it sound like you three are doing instances by yourself? Not sure if this is what you mean, but based on how you say you won't raid because you can't do that with just you three....

I have also started PvP with my Paly. Wife and friend do not care for it. I am spec holy/protection so I know I am bascially a buff/heal backup. I think I am doing something wrong though as I die alot. It could be I am only 32 where most of the people in PvP are 37-39. I do really enjoy Aritha Basin though, it not as fast paced and I seem to help out the team more. Wife and friend where impressed with my first blue magic PvP boots though. :) I am thinking of respecing to Retro and hope that once I get upper 30s I will do better in combat.

Well, the one thing I will bring up is twinks absolutely kill PVP for people like you. You're just someone leveling that wants to have a bit of fun in PVP, but that's practically impossible when you fight a twink. These twinks have better enchants than my level 70's, will probably have 2-4x as much hp as you, have around 5x as much AP and other stats will be through the roof (especially if they use something like Crusader (occassionally grants 100 str on hit and heals for 100-ish), Mongoose (occassionally grants 125 agil on hit and 2% attack speed increase), etc). Just imagine some of those enchants... you might only have 100 str normally and for someone to have a chance to double it... that's crazy.

Level differences can depend on what class you are as well. You're definitely at a disadvantage being a lower level in your bracket with your class. I know I've gone in as a level 44 lock in the 40-49 bracket and killed 49's with some ease.

Molondo

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2005
I have made a Human Priest (heal spec) to play with my girlfriend. I tried out his pvp. I really enjoyed it even thou i was a heal bot. I find it i do more than if i made a rogue or warrior that was untwinked.

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
The WoW forums are scary. There are a few sane people there, but the cries of the rest tend to drown them out.

Anyway, I'm happy with my mage in that he's my main. If I weren't, I would reroll - and I haven't done that. However I do think mages are a bit weak now and need some lovin'.

BF04

Sep 25, 2004
"What sounds awkward is you make it sound like you three are doing instances by yourself? Not sure if this is what you mean, but based on how you say you won't raid because you can't do that with just you three.... "

Yes, it is only the 3 of us doing instances. I have changed from Warrior to Paladin and we seem to do better now even with the less dps.

I doubt we will be raiding as we do not plan on joining a big raid guild. Our time does not permit us to commit to raiding x3 a week 3-5hrs at a time.

bpatters69

Aug 25, 2004
I actually like my mage for the most part. I have mostly crafted epics and some PvP epics and he is a lot of fun. I mostly play PvP these days for the daily gold and then I hit AV for some HKs.

BTW - apologies for the spam.....

I would like to sell my mage if anyone is interested send me a PM.

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: bpatters69
I actually like my mage for the most part. I have mostly crafted epics and some PvP epics and he is a lot of fun. I mostly play PvP these days for the daily gold and then I hit AV for some HKs.

BTW - apologies for the spam.....

I would like to sell my mage if anyone is interested send me a PM.

Bye.

hooflung

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2004

EVE-Online

BadRobot

May 25, 2007
fury and eve are pvp games

like the person said earlier, wow is pve game with a pvp mini-game tacked on.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
"What sounds awkward is you make it sound like you three are doing instances by yourself? Not sure if this is what you mean, but based on how you say you won't raid because you can't do that with just you three.... "

Yes, it is only the 3 of us doing instances. I have changed from Warrior to Paladin and we seem to do better now even with the less dps.

I doubt we will be raiding as we do not plan on joining a big raid guild. Our time does not permit us to commit to raiding x3 a week 3-5hrs at a time.

Dang, you don't find many people that try to 3-man an instance at the level without a tank+healer+dps make-up. I don't think you'll be able to do this as you get up higher into instances though. Uldaman has some relatively small pulls. I don't recall Maraudon being bad, but I think you'll run into problems when you hit the Sunken Temple as there are some fairly large pulls in there with around 7 mobs (3 elite + 4 non-elite). Not to mention the dragonkin 4 (or is it 5...) elite mob pulls. Then there's Blackrock Depths which has 5-mob pulls that include a healer :Q!