Wow - I have some old clothes in my closet

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Decided today was as good of a day as any to rummage through my closet and pull out all the old stuff I don't wear anymore and donate them to a local Goodwill

Its amazing how old some of the clothes in my closet are, even things that still have the tag on it that were never worn but somehow I decided to keep even through multiple moves.

Its hard to put a date on many of the clothes, but one brand in particular is sticking out to me - Structure. I used to shop there quite a bit before it became Express for Men (and subsequently changed style to something I don't care for). The stores changed back in 2000, but most of these clothes are likely from 1998-99 or even earlier. Insane that I would keep these that long.

Anyway, anyone else have quite a bit of old clothes in their closet?

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
I have a lot of clothes that are both new and old that simply don't fit anymore. My sizes are increasingly hard to find these days.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: aphex
Not any more. I did the same thing as you last week - I too gave it to Goodwill. I got rid of nearly half of my clothing. I wore it all (no clothes with tags), I just happened to switch styles over the last few years. My closet is barren now.

ballmode

Lifer
Aug 17, 2005
They will pull whatever you can put in your car inside their shop. Easy for the lazy or "done with it" mentallity

ChaoZ

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2000
I did that not too long ago. I still had stuff from middle school.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Originally posted by: aphex
Decided today was as good of a day as any to rummage through my closet and pull out all the old stuff I don't wear anymore and donate them to a local Goodwill

Its amazing how old some of the clothes in my closet are, even things that still have the tag on it that were never worn but somehow I decided to keep even through multiple moves.

Its hard to put a date on many of the clothes, but one brand in particular is sticking out to me - Structure. I used to shop there quite a bit before it became Express for Men (and subsequently changed style to something I don't care for). The stores changed back in 2000, but most of these clothes are likely from 1998-99 or even earlier. Insane that I would keep these that long.

< Raises hand... Hi, I'm Allen and I'm an old clothes horse.... <group> "Hi Allen" </12 step reference>

I started to do that last week a few weeeks ago, and While I managed to shake the dust off a bit, I finally admitted I....
1. have little ability to actually dress myself,
2. it's a miracle I match socks,
3. I was lucky to be associated with women who took pride in how "their man" looked,
Seriously, Men need a "What Not To Wear" as much as any woman with no fashion sense.
I would volunteer, for damn sure.
If it weren't for old gig shirts from all my years of touring, I wouldn't have crap for casual wear.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
:thumbsup:

I did the same thing 6 years ago when I moved; this thread brought back that memory. :) I literally got rid of four Hefty LAWN & LEAF bags full of clothes. I never knew I had so much crap I didn't wear anymore. :eek: Most of that stuff was easily 8-10 years old. You just move stuff from house to house, closet to closet and never really think about it.

I think a lot of my "clothes packrat" mindset stems from the fact that I was pretty financially strapped until about 2000-2001...I didn't throw anything away. I reused aluminum foil. Really.

L

Lola

i try to donate a few times a year, clothing wise... too much stuff that i have a hard time throwing away.

lokiju

Lifer
May 29, 2003
I have a closet full of old clothes.

I keep telling my wife we need to go through everything and donate whatever we haven't touched in a years time.

I have some clothes that are easily 15 years old.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
Originally posted by: lokiju

I keep telling my wife we need to go through everything and donate whatever we haven't touched in a years time.

Just do it. :) When I still worked and lived in NYC, I worked down the block from a soup kitchen that also gave out clothing to the homeless. I really felt like I helped when I put my bags into the big, metal donation container. :)

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001

Hah, I have a 700 sq foot apartment and really barely own anything with my wife compared to a lot of people and I still force us to go through crap almost quarterly to get rid of stuff. We're in the process of doing it again right now. I really hate excess crap, especially stuff that I have not touched in years.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: TallBill

Hah, I have a 700 sq foot apartment and really barely own anything with my wife compared to a lot of people and I still force us to go through crap almost quarterly to get rid of stuff. We're in the process of doing it again right now. I really hate excess crap, especially stuff that I have not touched in years.

I did that to my cable drawer a few weeks ago, cables I hadn't touched in years. Sure enough earlier this week I realized I needed a cable that I threw out :(