Wow how stupid is Sony? Really ...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
Originally posted by: Queasy
Originally posted by: randay
Does the nic in the 360 support gigabit ethernet?

Nope. 10/100.

I'm not sure what you'd do with a gigabit ethernet port on a console anyways.

I can think of a lot of things actually. 100mbit/s ain't much these days. Especially since blu-rays will store 25-50+gb of data. I've just recently upgraded my network at home and I'm very happy with the extra bandwidth.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
ok fine. what legal crap are you going to do with those speeds.

sheesh

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001

Nope. 10/100.

I can think of a lot of things actually. 100mbit/s ain't much these days. Especially since blu-rays will store 25-50+gb of data. I've just recently upgraded my network at home and I'm very happy with the extra bandwidth.

What does Blu-Ray have to do with gigabit ethernet? You going to rip the 20-50GB Blu-Ray movies to the 60GB PS3 drive?

The main use for the ethernet port is get online and we aren't even close to 100mb/s speeds for the internet.

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
Originally posted by: waggy

sheesh

Yes some uses are probably illegal. But that doesn't mean that legal uses don't exist. The PSP is a good example, you can do a lot with it in regards to video/audio. Since the PS3 has the same-ish menu and OS then one could expect the same sort of functionality, probably even more. Then theres those who always want to load up unix or linux or whatnot. Anyway if its there someone will find a use for it.

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006

Nope. 10/100.

What does Blu-Ray have to do with gigabit ethernet? You going to rip the 20-50GB Blu-Ray movies to the 60GB PS3 drive?

The main use for the ethernet port is get online and we aren't even close to 100mb/s speeds for the internet.

Great idea!, of course I would rather rip it straight over gigabit to my fileserver which has a lot more space. ;)

edit: man I think you are onto something, someone go pass this idea onto some homebrew guys.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Originally posted by: gsellis

Originally posted by: sash1

I went into best buy last week to pick up a 360, and they FORCED me to buy a HD-DVD player and the hard drive. They said Microsoft required it, so I didn't get one.

Sony is stupid

I think I know what your problem is.

I went into best buy
Yep, found it.

They pulled this crap already with the X360 and bundling. Seems like tricks are back. Probably told you that you needed the Monster Cables too. I really am starting to hate these guys.

Your sarcasm meter is broken, you should really get it looked at.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

sheesh

Yes some uses are probably illegal. But that doesn't mean that legal uses don't exist. The PSP is a good example, you can do a lot with it in regards to video/audio. Since the PS3 has the same-ish menu and OS then one could expect the same sort of functionality, probably even more. Then theres those who always want to load up unix or linux or whatnot. Anyway if its there someone will find a use for it.

perhaps.

now how many people have anything close to 1000? fastest i have seen (non-commercial) has been 50. now does anoyone really need anything faster for linux or mp3's?

swtethan

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2005

Nope. 10/100.

ps3 lan party

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006

sheesh

perhaps.

now how many people have anything close to 1000? fastest i have seen (non-commercial) has been 50. now does anoyone really need anything faster for linux or mp3's?

8 bits=1 byte.

I think you are confused with megabits and megabytes? 100megabit connections max out at around 11-12 megabytes a second. And yes while 1000megabit theoretical max is around 125 megabytes, it usually maxes out at 66 megabytes a second. Still quite a difference from 12.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
The purpose of the fact sheet is to show you what a PS3 costs versus an Xbox 360 with comparable hardware. I'm pretty sure it's been posted on ATOT before.

Sony overall is cheaper if you want the same hardware. Supposedly the PS3 has more powerful processing but only time will tell.

Way to to Microsoft fanboy.

Wii FTW

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Eeezee
The purpose of the fact sheet is to show you what a PS3 costs versus an Xbox 360 with comparable hardware. I'm pretty sure it's been posted on ATOT before.

Sony overall is cheaper if you want the same hardware. Supposedly the PS3 has more powerful processing but only time will tell.

The thing that everyone has been pointing out though is that Sony's fact sheet isn't very factual at all. This fact sheet is filled with unfactual information. And that's a fact!

Thraxen

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Eeezee

Way to go Microsoft fanboy.

Wii FTW

The fact sheet says "requires users to buy"... which is not true.

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: swtethan

Nope. 10/100.

ps3 lan party

Would have to be a big lan party since most games will be designed for 1.5 - 6mb/s in mind.

Auryg

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: swtethan

Nope. 10/100.

ps3 lan party

Would have to be a big lan party since most games will be designed for 1.5 - 6mb/s in mind.

I suppose if you wanted to send the whole game over the network, only requiring one disk.

...Hah!~

arod

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2000
And here is MS's response...

Fact Checking 101

Boy, someone over at Sony really needs to do some fact checking. Some of you may have seen Sony's recent console price comparision grid? Well, we here at Xbox wanted to make sure that you got the accurate facts?
1. Fact: PS3 has monkeys inside. (Monkeys required)
2. Fact: Yellow Ray + Blue Ray = Green Ray
3. Fact: The PS3 weighs 243 pounds
4. Fact: Xbox 360 + Ferrarri F430 = $168,404 (Ferrari Required)
5. Fact: Xbox 360 + Red Vines = Crazy delicious
6. Fact: Pizza is good. We like Pizza
7. Fact: Zune does not work as rear view mirror
8. Fact: My daddy can beat up your daddy
9. Fact: PS3 online network suffers outages due to giant crabs attacking Sony?s servers (yes, the Crab thing is getting old, but I think it?s still funny).
10. ...

http://gamerscoreblog.com/team/archive/2006/10/20/538227.aspx

EarthwormJim

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2003
Originally posted by: purbeast0
Originally posted by: Kur
Originally posted by: purbeast0
Fact sheet right here.

The sheet speaks for itself. it's just ridiculous that sony let this slide and made this fact sheet public. i didn't realize that you have to buy a core system for the 360, and are required to buy a HDD, the HDDVD drive, a wireless controller, and a 12 month xbox live subscription. well apparently sony realized that and put it in their fact sheet.

What they are trying to compare is if you want the FULL benefit that you get from the PS3 you have to buy all this and that. Everyone knows online gaming is huge, PS3 it's free, xbox360 it's not. That's all they are trying to compare.

So before blasting a company try and understand the point they are trying to make.

(I am not a sony fanboy, I simply hate people who don't look at things as a whole and simply see ZOMG SONY SAID WHAT OMFG)

ok then answer me this ....

1. why would you need an hd-dvd drive in the xbox360 "package" they put together, when you cant even view anything in hd because it comes with composite cables?

2. why did sony forgot to add in a 2nd controller to their package, because if you add in a wireless controller to the xbox360 package, you wll now have a total of 2 controllers for the 360 vs 1 for the ps3?

3. why did sony forgot to mention you get 1 month free of xbox live gold, and that the majority of the games also come with free trials?

4. Why did sony neglect to mention that there are two xbox 360 packages. One for $399 which includes everything their $600+ "package" has.

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003
Originally posted by: Raduque
Originally posted by: gsellis

Originally posted by: sash1

I went into best buy last week to pick up a 360, and they FORCED me to buy a HD-DVD player and the hard drive. They said Microsoft required it, so I didn't get one.

Sony is stupid

I think I know what your problem is.

I went into best buy
Yep, found it.

They pulled this crap already with the X360 and bundling. Seems like tricks are back. Probably told you that you needed the Monster Cables too. I really am starting to hate these guys.

Your sarcasm meter is broken, you should really get it looked at.
No, it goes to 11. 11 is better than 10.

thirdlegstump

Banned
Feb 12, 2001
Point is, their target market aren't cheap, poor bastards like you who really want it but cannot afford it thus venting.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by: deathkoba
Point is, their target market aren't cheap, poor bastards like you who really want it but cannot afford it thus venting.

Bullshit. I can more than afford a PS3 ( i got the xbox package from Amazon at launch, 7 games, extra controller, charger, xbox live, faceplate for $900). This has NOTHING to do with money. The problem is Sony. It's nothing but mistake after mistake. They do NOT care about the customer or putting out a good product.

Honestly, here's the facts.

My son was begging for an Xbox 360 before launch. He's not said a single word about the PS3. He owns a PSP - which he almost never plays because the DS Lite is so much better. He's also played Jax and Dexter like a million times on the PS2 (along with many other games). I think this goes to show you how they've just screwed themselves with the general population.

Sony has really screwed themselves. Now they are resorting to FUD and lying? That's what I really hate about Apple and Sony. They have advertisments that flat out lie about MS. How freaking pathetic can you be.

I for one will NOT buy a PS3. But I WILL buy a Wii to go with my Xbox 360 for xmas for my son.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Just like the PSP, that is exactly who the target market is. People who really can't afford them, but buy them as status symbols.

thirdlegstump

Banned
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: loup garou
Just like the PSP, that is exactly who the target market is. People who really can't afford them, but buy them as status symbols.

missing the point but ok..