Wow how stupid is Sony? Really ...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: Kur
2) When has sony every included 2 controllers? Ive never got a PS2 or PS1 with 2 controllers...

No, he's saying that with the Xbox 360 system they put together you get two controllers - one wired and one wireless. It comes with a wired controller, they say you have to buy a wireless controller.

Why? Because they were trying to fudge the numbers. They could have just used a Xbox 360 Premium in their system and eliminated the $100 HDD and $50 wireless controller, knocking $50 off the total for the 360.

but then they would have to add in component cables to sony's price ... which of course they wouldn't.

Kur

Feb 19, 2005
Originally posted by: purbeast0
Fact sheet right here.

The sheet speaks for itself. it's just ridiculous that sony let this slide and made this fact sheet public. i didn't realize that you have to buy a core system for the 360, and are required to buy a HDD, the HDDVD drive, a wireless controller, and a 12 month xbox live subscription. well apparently sony realized that and put it in their fact sheet.

What they are trying to compare is if you want the FULL benefit that you get from the PS3 you have to buy all this and that. Everyone knows online gaming is huge, PS3 it's free, xbox360 it's not. That's all they are trying to compare.

So before blasting a company try and understand the point they are trying to make.

(I am not a sony fanboy, I simply hate people who don't look at things as a whole and simply see ZOMG SONY SAID WHAT OMFG)

ok then answer me this ....

1. why would you need an hd-dvd drive in the xbox360 "package" they put together, when you cant even view anything in hd because it comes with composite cables?

2. why did sony forgot to add in a 2nd controller to their package, because if you add in a wireless controller to the xbox360 package, you wll now have a total of 2 controllers for the 360 vs 1 for the ps3?

3. why did sony forgot to mention you get 1 month free of xbox live gold, and that the majority of the games also come with free trials?

1) You don't need it, but in order to view what they call "Next generation DVD qaulity" you will need it. With PS3 you get the Blueray which is also able (and fast enough) to play games and the last I heard they got 30GB disks working and 60GB are due nexy year? (30gb/60gb > 10GB DVD's)

2) When has sony every included 2 controllers? Ive never got a PS2 or PS1 with 2 controllers...

3) Because it's called their "PR" department, you see it all throughout the industry they always leave out little "details"

you didn't answer any of my questions except #3 ...

your answer to part 1 is flawed, because the bluray player on the ps3 is pointless out of the box (for movie viewing) because it only comes with composite cables and you cant view bluray movies in HD, and if thats the case there is no point to add a HD-DVD player to the xbox360 either. so you should really subtract -$200 from the total price.

also, since this is a "comparison" and stuff is supposed to be equal, then sony should have added in a 2nd controller to their "package" to make it have 2 controllers as the xbox360 package has. either that, or subtract $30 from the total price of the xbox360 for removing the wired controller.

the only valid one you answered was #3, which can sum up this whole stupid fact sheet ... its a marketing ploy.

PR PR PR PR I'll keep saying it. This is their job is to hide tiny facts and make things look better and bigger then they are. It's the nasty cycle of any major project like Windows Vista. It's awesome ya cool hey this thing has this and that and this. Oh wait apple had all this 3 years?

We can go back and forth ALL DAY LONG, there is no winner here. No one will know until the console is launched.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
There is a reason thet I quit buying any Sony products, right around the time they played the profit maximization game with their BetaMax.

I hope this goes the same way - rejected by the consumer as not fair competition, I have no reason at all, ever again to buy anything made by Sony.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Originally posted by: CaptnKirk
There is a reason thet I quit buying any Sony products, right around the time they played the profit maximization game with their BetaMax.

I hope this goes the same way - rejected by the consumer as not fair competition, I have no reason at all, ever again to buy anything made by Sony.

i do ... EEEBBBBAAAAYYYY!!!

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: CaptnKirk

i do ... EEEBBBBAAAAYYYY!!!

yeap. i will try to get a PS3 (not very hard though) to ebay.

i won't buy myself one until they are around $300 or so. so right before the PS4 comes out hah

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: loup garou
hehehe...while we're at it, Sony standalone BD player delayed AGAIN. And yet, it still will cost a cool grand.

So why again would someone buy that? Seriously the PS3 will be cheaper and you can game on it....
That is a good question. Why would someone buy that (or the PS3) for watching HD movies, when they could get an HD-DVD player for $371, right now?

Kur

Feb 19, 2005
hehehe...while we're at it, Sony standalone BD player delayed AGAIN. And yet, it still will cost a cool grand.

So why again would someone buy that? Seriously the PS3 will be cheaper and you can game on it....
That is a good question. Why would someone buy that (or the PS3) for watching HD movies, when they could get an HD-DVD player for $371, right now?

Because sony movies won't be in HD-DVD format! SONY MOVIES ROCK COME ON

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
PR PR PR PR I'll keep saying it. This is their job is to hide tiny facts and make things look better and bigger then they are. It's the nasty cycle of any major project like Windows Vista. It's awesome ya cool hey this thing has this and that and this. Oh wait apple had all this 3 years?

We can go back and forth ALL DAY LONG, there is no winner here. No one will know until the console is launched.

They're not hiding tiny facts, they're blatantly lying.

lyssword

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2005
Originally posted by: krotchy
I like how the PS3 has a 10/100/1000 Port, but Xbox only has an Ethernet port.... Way to say the same things in two different ways sony :thumbsup:

Did they hire a 12 year old kid to write those comparisons, I coulda done better without knowing what either was.

10/100/1000 port sounds sexy! oooh! And xbox only a lowly ethernet port? :(
hahahaha :D

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

and you say you are not a sony fanboi?

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: mugs

They're not hiding tiny facts, they're blatantly lying.

Well, it's not like we would expect anything different from Sony....

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000

Well sh1t, you've convinced me! Time to dust off that old Beta VCR!

Itchrelief

Golden Member
Dec 20, 2005

So before blasting a company try and understand the point they are trying to make.

(I am not a sony fanboy, I simply hate people who don't look at things as a whole and simply see ZOMG SONY SAID WHAT OMFG)

3) Because it's called their "PR" department, you see it all throughout the industry they always leave out little "details"

PR PR PR PR I'll keep saying it. This is their job is to hide tiny facts and make things look better and bigger then they are.

;)

RapidSnail

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2006

How about Windows Vista was in developement since May 2001. How about Apple has stolen plenty of ideas from other companies including Microsoft. How about a product in developement for five years is more than likely to have many features which offer equivalent functions of the competitor's.

You see Apple chooses to release a new revision of their operating system every 1.5 years or so. It's highly probable that Apple had discovered Microsoft's plans and implemented a few of its ideas into their own product, released it to the public, claimed innovation, and blaimed Microsoft if their product contained anything remotely similar to OSX.

Auryg

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2003
Sony did the same trash with the PS2 against the dreamcast. What's this type of marketing called again? It has a specific name...meant to have the consumer doubt the competitor's product...

Anyways, yeah. This is a reenactment of PS2 vs. dreamcast. The early release of the lower competitor, Sony showing mainly FMVs (flowing hair for the PS2, with individual strands..among other stuff), and lying about their systems capabilities against the competition. Especially with their processor. Emotion engine = Cell.

Sony's trying what worked before. Very well too. But this time they're going against MS. MS has the money and the legal team to face them, and the money to do what i'm guessing will be the biggest marketing blitz in videogame history in the next month. I'm sure MS will even hint at their trump card- Halo 3, in a commercial.

It's going to get very interesting.

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: lyssword
Originally posted by: krotchy
I like how the PS3 has a 10/100/1000 Port, but Xbox only has an Ethernet port.... Way to say the same things in two different ways sony :thumbsup:

Did they hire a 12 year old kid to write those comparisons, I coulda done better without knowing what either was.

10/100/1000 port sounds sexy! oooh! And xbox only a lowly ethernet port? :(
hahahaha :D

Even better is when they list the PS3 as having "HDMI out - (x1/HDMI), AV Multi-Out x1), Digital Out (Optical) x1 but list the 360 as having "Component HD AV cable" for the Premium and "Composite AV cable" for the Core.

The PS3 only comes with a composite cable...no HDMI, no component...has to be bought seperately. The 360 AV cable (for the Premium at least) comes with a digital out.

Unheard

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2003
Sony is so full of sh1t. My TV will be the last sony product I ever own. I know I have talked atleast 2 of my friends out of buying a PS3 and into getting a 360 and/or Wii. Screw you Sony.

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003

Originally posted by: sash1

I went into best buy last week to pick up a 360, and they FORCED me to buy a HD-DVD player and the hard drive. They said Microsoft required it, so I didn't get one.

Sony is stupid

I think I know what your problem is.

I went into best buy
Yep, found it.

They pulled this crap already with the X360 and bundling. Seems like tricks are back. Probably told you that you needed the Monster Cables too. I really am starting to hate these guys.

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
Haha (gamerscore blog)

Fact Checking 101
Boy, someone over at Sony really needs to do some fact checking. Some of you may have seen Sony's recent console price comparision grid? Well, we here at Xbox wanted to make sure that you got the accurate facts?

1. Fact: PS3 has monkeys inside. (Monkeys required)
2. Fact: Yellow Ray + Blue Ray = Green Ray
3. Fact: The PS3 weighs 243 pounds
4. Fact: Xbox 360 + Ferrarri F430 = $168,404 (Ferrari Required)
5. Fact: Xbox 360 + Red Vines = Crazy delicious
6. Fact: Pizza is good. We like Pizza
7. Fact: Zune does not work as rear view mirror
8. Fact: My daddy can beat up your daddy
9. Fact: PS3 online network suffers outages due to giant crabs attacking Sony?s servers (yes, the Crab thing is getting old, but I think it?s still funny).
10. ...

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: randay
Does the nic in the 360 support gigabit ethernet?

Nope. 10/100.

I'm not sure what you'd do with a gigabit ethernet port on a console anyways.