Wow! Go France! Time for us to learn from them!!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: BlinderBomber
Originally posted by: Tango
This is motivated purely by hatred. French immigration policy has been a mess and has left hundreds of thousands of people in the country as social outcasts. Why should we follow a country where people who have lived within its borders for generations are still called immigrants? The French government is so out of touch with it's own immigrants that it has made reference to them as "scum." Discrimination against those who are different (not French) is widespread. Is that really what you want America's immigration policy to be based on? Do we really want to regulate our immigrants to second-class status? As a democracy that supposedly puts human rights as a high priority, how can we even entertain ideas that this kind of a policy is a good idea?

This is not a humanitarian policy, France is nto a country that we should let take the lead in forming immigration policy.

The people you are talking about (those Sarkozy called scum) are not immigrants.

In what sense? Many were not off-the-boat immigrants, but most were the sons or grandsons of people who immigrated to France. Hence, many still bore / bear the immigrant moniker.

The grandson of an immigrant is not an immigrant.

They shouldn't be treated that way, but they are in France. it's similar in Germany as well. People who have lived in the country for generations are still called immigrants, still shunned from society, and still hated by the general population.

I wouldn't say they are hated, but some of them are shunned, they are called immigrants, and they cannot become citizens for the most part. The immigration policy in Western Europe is an experiment that seems to be backfiring. They still have plenty of immigrants, but by not encouraging them to mix and assimilate they've created a group of pissed off residents without loyalty to the country they live in.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: Mill
This is motivated purely by hatred. French immigration policy has been a mess and has left hundreds of thousands of people in the country as social outcasts. Why should we follow a country where people who have lived within its borders for generations are still called immigrants? The French government is so out of touch with it's own immigrants that it has made reference to them as "scum." Discrimination against those who are different (not French) is widespread. Is that really what you want America's immigration policy to be based on? Do we really want to regulate our immigrants to second-class status? As a democracy that supposedly puts human rights as a high priority, how can we even entertain ideas that this kind of a policy is a good idea?

This is not a humanitarian policy, France is nto a country that we should let take the lead in forming immigration policy.

The people you are talking about (those Sarkozy called scum) are not immigrants.

In what sense? Many were not off-the-boat immigrants, but most were the sons or grandsons of people who immigrated to France. Hence, many still bore / bear the immigrant moniker.

The grandson of an immigrant is not an immigrant.

They shouldn't be treated that way, but they are in France. it's similar in Germany as well. People who have lived in the country for generations are still called immigrants, still shunned from society, and still hated by the general population.

I wouldn't say they are hated, but some of them are shunned, they are called immigrants, and they cannot become citizens for the most part. The immigration policy in Western Europe is an experiment that seems to be backfiring. They still have plenty of immigrants, but by not encouraging them to mix and assimilate they've created a group of pissed off residents without loyalty to the country they live in.

That, in the nut shell, is the problem, in my opinion also.

Many immigrants that come to America become more American than Americans because they get rich. They are adapted to survive in misery and famine and fall into a candy store where the sugar ignites their rockets and fills their larder before they can relax.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: palehorse74
Are you trying to encourage all of us to embrace Mexico and learn Spanish?

Knowing you, I bet I'm close...

No, I'm not, and as for knowing me, I don't recall you showing you understand my posts much.

I am in favor of efforts to accomodate foreign language speakers, such as protecting democracy's enfranchisement of all voters by printing materials in many languages.

But I'm not in favor of inconveniencing English speakers much. Let them keep conveniences. Of course, in areas there are many foreign speakers, it can make sense to use their language.

For example, in Chinatowns, you often see most signs in Chinese. That makes sense given the demographic.

Bi-lingual education? I say follow the science on what works. I don't know for sure but I lean towards focusing on their learning English from what I've heard. If b-ilingual education did work well, I'd say invest in it, but since I see mostly evidence that it doesn't work that well, do what works, and is good for the students - get them proficient in English.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Immigrant children are being taught in our schools by Mexico?s history books which lay claim of ownership over our land. If these people are Americans, it is in name only ? their loyalty will become clear as they become the majority.

Assimilation is the only way to preserve a nation and that function has long since broken down under the sheer volume we face ? which is unprecedented and has never before been witnessed in history.

This is a problem no prosperous nation is dealing with correctly, soon we will learn just how thin our prosperity stretches as they devolve our home their old home.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
A Frenchman who pushes for this immigration plan has balls! Wow, I am impressed!

It's time our more conservative media outlets to end their hatred of France and learn a thing or two from this!

The French government is toughening up its immigration policies, with plans to introduce DNA tests for prospective immigrants and demands that local officals meet their deportation targets...Sarkozy had promised to expel 25,000 illegal immigrants from France by the end of 2007.

Of course, the French "left" are getting in the way.

SPIEGEL Article

whoa... how is this a GOOD thing? dna testing? wtf?

yeah... the left is getting in the way of big brother. what a shame :roll:

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
Originally posted by: ayabe
Originally posted by: Pabster
Originally posted by: ayabe
DNA tests?

For what?

The Jihad gene?

If only that were possible...

It would be for a database, so to have DNA samples available for the police.

OK and we should adopt that here because???

That is a terrible idea and if such a thing were proposed in the US, the right wingers would be up in arms and rightly so.

Talk about invasion of privacy.

seriously... why in the hell would we want that bullshit over here? we've already got enough of a government enema for right now.

we don't need more governmental surveillance... we're chock full right now.