Wow. Gas Attendant tip scam...felt like beating the crap out of him.

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Why didn't you pump your own gas? I've accidentally pulled into a full service one before, and I polite said I would pump my own gas. The guy wasn't a dick about it or anything. He walked back to his booth and everything was ok. It was winter, so he was probably glad that he didn't need to stand in the cold.

I can't speak for the OP but in NJ you aren't even allowed to pump your own gas.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
I can't speak for the OP but in NJ you aren't even allowed to pump your own gas.
I would still try to pump my own gas. The can't imagine the 16 year old gas station attendant caring enough to fight about it.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
1. In most western states this is always illegal. It may be illegal in all western states.
2. Taking a order and puting food on a table takes very little effort.

Every state no matter what, a server has to make minimum wage. If they tell you otherwise they are lying. If their tips don't cover it the restaurant has to make up the difference.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I only recently learned that it's customary to tip gas station attendants. Being from NJ where we aren't allowed to pump our own gas I always considered them to be equivalent to other retail workers that aren't generally tipped.
It might be customary to tip gas station attendants when you have a choice between full and self, but it's not when you are forced into full service.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
It might be customary to tip gas station attendants when you have a choice between full and self, but it's not when you are forced into full service.

Yet it makes zero sense that they shouldn't be tip. They are doing a service like a waiter, and are paid just as little, if not less.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
You go to a full service station and are too cheap to tip?? Please put that in the thread title, while leaving out the lame excuses.

why would you tip some monkey to press a button on the gas pump? they are being paid a wage to perform a menial task, and deserve no extra reward.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
Yet it makes zero sense that they shouldn't be tip. They are doing a service like a waiter, and are paid just as little, if not less.

Would you tip a best buy employee for helping you? Do you tip people at the drive through window? Cashiers?

After all, they're performing a service.

Your answer is no, so please explain why not.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
Would you tip a best buy employee for helping you? Do you tip people at the drive through window? Cashiers?

After all, they're performing a service.

Your answer is no, so please explain why not.

Best buy employees spend a small fraction of their day helping, and they do nothing physical. When I order take out I do tip. Cashiers make 15 to 30 an hour, they don't need my tip.

Someone pumping your gas does just as much a service as any waitress, explain why they don't deserve a tip.

In many states waitress and waiters are the highest people in a restaurant after tip, even before tip they make more than many of the employee and even line cooks. But people still give them tip, while others are get nothing, it makes no sense.

Last edited:

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
yes they are paid min wage! they work extra hard for those tips they deserve.

fucking op didn't even tip 18% what a fucking poor loser! if you can't tip stay the fuck home!

If the guy doesn't like his minimum wage job, then the guy should find another job.

that said, get the hell out of your car and pump your own gas OP.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Best buy employees spend a small fraction of their day helping, and they do nothing physical. When I order take out I do tip. Cashiers make 15 to 30 an hour, they don't need my tip.

Someone pumping your gas does just as much a service as any waitress, explain why they don't deserve a tip.

In many states waitress and waiters are the highest people in a restaurant after tip, even before tip they make more than many of the employee and even line cooks. But people still give them tip, while others are get nothing, it makes no sense.

uh, no they don't. The put in the friggen nozzle, put the flow lock on, 5 minutes later they're done.

A waiter spends an hour or more with you and gets you whatever you need.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
uh, no they don't. The put in the friggen nozzle, put the flow lock on, 5 minutes later they're done.

Hardly, a waiter spends 1 minute getting your order and another to bring your food. They might spend another minute refilling drinks.

Only 1 dollar tip as well, they spend less time, but they get less tip. A person pumping gas makes minimum wage, a waiter with tip makes 30+ an hour here.

Last edited:

Quantos

Dec 23, 2011
Why aren't people allowed to pump their own gas in NJ? I'm curious... what's the reason for that rule? :confused:

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Hardly, a waiter spends 1 minute getting your order and another to bring your food. They might spend another minute refilling drinks.

Only 1 dollar tip as well, they spend less time, but they get less tip. A person pumping gas makes minimum wage, a waiter with tip makes 30+ an hour here.

LOL, you are either stoned to think that a waiter makes $30/hour or you are going to high dollar restaurants. I'm placing bets that it's the former.

Waiting tables is the only job that the feds allow companies to pay less than minimum wage. And it's taken advantage of.

But, that's all beyond the point. If you don't like what you're doing, change what you're doing.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Why aren't people allowed to pump their own gas in NJ? I'm curious... what's the reason for that rule? :confused:

Both NJ and OR made laws to protect full service, the argument being safety.
Which of course is bullshit cuz the other 48 states are doing just fine.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

not 100% true.

i remember reading how it also gives more jobs to teens. A few other states were going to try to get it passed and they all failed. :biggrin:

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
this got me to thinking back when I was a station attendant. We did not sell much full service gas in my town, and I don't recall ever getting a tip for it. Different time and place, I guess.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
So you are saying doing something damaging to a customers car isn't wrong? Why doesn't he carry loose change? Why make me wait.

Why even make it obvious that you wanted me to leave the tip? I am not the dick here.

I have the same type of gas tank cap on my Chevy and if it's not correctly installed it will trigger a CEL but there is no "damage" LOL, just install the cap correctly and the CEL goes out within a start or two..

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000

In the early days of self-serv I was at a pump when the guy across from me sent his 13yr old to do it, this was one of the tanks that filled from under the cars tag, somehow he managed to squirt gas everywhere so the dad gets out to check WITH A LIT CIGAR IN HIS MOUTH!, I just finished and hopped in my car and hauled ass!. I STILL see people these days SMOKING while filling, it's amazing there are not more accidents IMO..

Puppies04

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2011

You are so naive it hurts, A waiter spends a few minutes with you. Unless you invite him to quit his job and sit at your table while you eat. You are spouting the same sheep bullshit that you got taught growing up.

Luckily I am in the UK and I have no preconception forced on me to tip a % of the money I choose to spend. I tip and I tip well when I feel someone went above and beyond the expected level of service be that a friendly taxi driver or a good waitress if however I go out to eat and enjoy the food but the service is poor I tip the chef not the server.

You seem to have a list of places where you have to tip in America which make absolutely no sense to pretty much the rest of the world.

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
You are so naive it hurts, A waiter spends a few minutes with you. Unless you invite him to quit his job and sit at your table while you eat. You are spouting the same sheep bullshit that you got taught growing up.

Luckily I am in the UK and I have no preconception forced on me to tip a % of the money I choose to spend. I tip and I tip well when I feel someone went above and beyond the expected level of service be that a friendly taxi driver or a good waitress if however I go out to eat and enjoy the food but the service is poor I tip the chef not the server.

You seem to have a list of places where you have to tip in America which make absolutely no sense to pretty much the rest of the world.

Oh the ironing. You've obviously never worked in the food industry. Maybe that should be fixed to "A waiter who gets a crappy/no tip spends a few minutes with you."

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
not 100% true.

i remember reading how it also gives more jobs to teens. A few other states were going to try to get it passed and they all failed. :biggrin:

If you wanna give jobs to teens, kick out illegals.
Sorry, just got out of P&N, this is on my mind.

mrCide

Diamond Member
Nov 27, 1999
This "we have to tip everyone for everything" mentality has got to stop. It's stupid.