wow check this out jefferson/adams mudslinging from 1800 turned into a campaign ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotteq

Diamond Member
Apr 10, 2008
If you get a chance, check out the mudslinging between Aaron Burr and Alexander Hamilton (Burr eventually shot and killed Hamilton in a highly controversial Duel.) The History Channel in the US did a whole hour on it.

Last edited:

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
I like how Jefferson's eyes turned red! Classic stuff!

What's a ho-cake though?

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
I like how Jefferson's eyes turned red! Classic stuff!

What's a ho-cake though?

basically poor peoples food, so i guess it was considered a insult to say "you were raised on ho-cakes"

* 2 cups corn meal
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 2 cups boiling water
* oil for frying

Put the tea kettle on to boil. In a large bowl combine the corn meal and salt. When the water boils, measure it in a metal or tempered-glass measuring cup. Pour the boiling water over the cornmeal and stir it up. The cornmeal will swell up, absorbing the water, and making a very thick mash.

Heat some oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. You can use as little as two tablespoon of oil per panful, but it is a little easier to use 4 or 5 tablespoons of oil for each panful. Use your waistline and frying skill as the final judge. Now scoop up a little of the cornmeal mush (about 1/4-cup) and shape it into a patty. It will still be warm from the boiling water, so be careful not to burn yourself. You can let it cool down some more first if you like. Plop the patty into the hot fat, and get it to frying. Make some more, until you have a whole pan full. I usually cook about 4 or 5 at a time. When the underside is crispy brown, turn them and cook the other side. When both sides are crispy and brown, transfer them to a plate to keep warm, and start another batch. This recipe makes about 12 hoe cakes.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
If you get a chance, check out the mudslinging between Aaron Burr and Alexander Hamilton (Burr eventually shot and killed Hamilton in a highly controversial Duel.) The History Channel in the US did a whole hour on it.
IIRC, the duel was allegedly inspired by Mr. Hamilton's insinuation that Mr. Burr had had carnal knowledge of his daughter, Theodosia...

Status
Not open for further replies.