WOW Bill Kristol says raise taxes on the rich!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
So we need more disciplined candidates no matter who supports them.

You need candidates that aren't idiotic social conservatives. Look, the country is approximately 60% pro-choice and increasingly supportive of things like gay marriage. Deal with it by rejecting social conservatives or remain a minority. The choice is yours.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
Yes, by all means, deflect attention away from your failures. :rolleyes:

How about getting the social conservative idiots out of the mix?
Establishment candidates are losing too, why should we ignore that?

Murdock and Akin deserved to lose for saying that stuff about rape (Akin especially). I'm not deflecting attention I'm keeping everything in perspective.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
Establishment candidates are losing too, why should we ignore that?

We're not... but you keep mentioning them in the same paragraph as your own people.

Murdock and Akin deserved to lose for saying that stuff about rape (Akin especially). I'm not deflecting attention I'm keeping everything in perspective.

The perspective is that both the "establishment" and Tea Party have to pick better candidates who are as socially libertarian as they are fiscally conservative.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
No doubt that there has been some bad picks for senate races but it isn't like the establishment candidates are doing much better.

Yes, they are. And they'd be doing better still without tea party kooks dragging them down.

We need to pick better candidates and I'm sure going forward we can get that done but the idea that its just the tea party that is fucking this up just doesn't line up with the facts.

Actually, it lines up pretty darned well with the facts. You just don't like the facts, so you're choosing to ignore them.

Uncoincidentally, the exact same thing you did with the polling during the election.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Disciplined ?

You mean ones that think rape is God's plan but are smart enough not to say so ?

Here's what's disgusting. The idea that the problem with Romeny calling half the country dead beats isn't that he thinks that, its that he got caught saying it behind closed doors.

Same thing with forcing raped women and children to give birth to their rapist's child. That's the Republican position, but its supposed to be a secret ?

And deporting hard-working immigrant's children born in America, policies based on ethnic hatred are great, but we need how to cloak that..

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
Yes, they are. And they'd be doing better still without tea party kooks dragging them down.
Tea party kooks like Rubio? Rand Paul? You're cherry picking the bad cases and ignoring the good cases.
Actually, it lines up pretty darned well with the facts. You just don't like the facts, so you're choosing to ignore them.
Yeah if you ignore data you don't like. I don't dismiss the fact that some tea party candidates screwed the pooch but I won't throw out the baby with the bath water either.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
Tea party kooks like Rubio? Rand Paul? You're cherry picking the bad cases and ignoring the good cases.

You're very confused.

I'm not saying everyone in the tea party is a bad candidate. I'm saying that the blind adherence to electing the most conservative possible candidate is causing the GOP to give away races they could easily win.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

Exactly, you need candidates who can hide the fact they are conservatives. You need a party even richer with two faced phonies. And try giving away stuff for free. It's a winner.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
Disciplined ?

You mean ones that think rape is God's plan but are smart enough not to say so ?
I don't really think he believes that. But if abortion is wrong why should it matter how that pregnancy started?

But yes, he shouldn't have said what he said.
Same thing with forcing raped women and children to give birth to their rapist's child. That's the Republican position, but its supposed to be a secret ?
Again, abortion is either wrong or it isn't. If you say it is wrong except when there was a rape then you don't really think it is wrong.
And deporting hard-working immigrant's children born in America, policies based on ethnic hatred are great, but we need how to cloak that..
So lets just allow people to break the law? Why have laws then?

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
You're very confused.

I'm not saying everyone in the tea party is a bad candidate. I'm saying that the blind adherence to electing the most conservative possible candidate is causing the GOP to give away races they could easily win.
See I think we agree on more than we don't, even on this. The tea party is in its infancy and has backed bad candidates based upon principle instead of expedience. Over all I'm happy with the good ones we got out of it instead of worrying about the duds that blew up in our face. We just need to maximize on the good ones and try to avoid the bad ones.

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I don't really think he believes that. But if abortion is wrong why should it matter how that pregnancy started?

But yes, he shouldn't have said what he said.

Again, abortion is either wrong or it isn't. If you say it is wrong except when there was a rape then you don't really think it is wrong.
So lets just allow people to break the law? Why have laws then?

What law did the child of an "illegal" immigrant break ?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
That doesn't make it true.

This is your opinion.

What about all of the establishment losses? You aren't including Nevada as a give away are you? She was up in all of the polls. She didn't lose because of being a tea party candidate.

And Delaware hasn't had a Republican senator since the early seventies. O'Donnell was in over her head and a bad candidate but don't act like it was in the bag for Coons.

Who else? McMahon? Connecticut hasn't had a Republican senator since the early sixties.

Heh. Delusion has no bounds. Voters have turned away from Repub candidates partially on the basis of rational observations, like "You're with them? You're running on the same ticket as obvious whack-o-matics? Why the Hell should we trust you?"

When Repubs purge themselves of the obvious loonies, they'll have broader appeal. Problem is, there may not be much of anybody left. Their long march off into the far right wing has left them in the political wilderness, and it seems unlikely they'll be able to reverse course.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
Heh. Delusion has no bounds. Voters have turned away from Repub candidates partially on the basis of rational observations, like "You're with them? You're running on the same ticket as obvious whack-o-matics? Why the Hell should we trust you?"

When Repubs purge themselves of the obvious loonies, they'll have broader appeal. Problem is, there may not be much of anybody left. Their long march off into the far right wing has left them in the political wilderness, and it seems unlikely they'll be able to reverse course.

Duh! The Tea Party is going to save them!

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
Over all I'm happy with the good ones we got out of it instead of worrying about the duds that blew up in our face. We just need to maximize on the good ones and try to avoid the bad ones.

What you're missing is that what you define as a "good one", most of the country defines as a "bad one".

A big part of the problem is that some of these people only got into trouble for saying what Republicans actually believe.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
What you're missing is that what you define as a "good one", most of the country defines as a "bad one"**

A big part of the problem is that some of these people only got into trouble for saying what Republicans actually believe**

Do you think it's a matter of definition or a matter of truth? Are the candidates he thinks are good really good and the majority is wrong or are they not good and the majority is right? Are you suggesting that a political party should think like the majority so they can win or is the real job of politicians to lead by holding to a higher vision, some truth they actually believe in?

I hope you are pushing for a change is what Republicans believe, not just say**

Assuming so, the problem it seems to me is that in order say to change the mind of a person emotionally invested in lies because he thinks they are good requires directing the bigot to examine their motivations and every time a bigot tries that he only sees his good** You can't one day just up and say that good is actually evil** Good is good and that's the end of the story** This is why bigots can't see** They will never agree that good isn't good and you will never get them to see that's not the issue, at least by logical argument and reason** That good is good is all the logic there is in the world**

So the question I think is whether there is any way at all to help them**

Last edited:

michal1980

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2003
A perfect Republican for democrats is one that supports their ideas.

So to listen to a democrat for what a republican should stand for is idiotic. Since there litmus test will be is if they are really a democrat with an R after the name.

Juror No. 8

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Holyshit does this mean the rats are leaving a sinking ship???

No, it just means that you've spent years believing in a phoney Left/Right narrative in which Republicans are the opposite of Democrats.

The real truth is they work for the same interests and essentially want the same for America.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
No, it just means that you've spent years believing in a phoney Left/Right narrative in which Republicans are the opposite of Democrats.

The real truth is they work for the same interests and essentially want the same for America.

LOLWUT are smok'in?

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
A perfect Republican for democrats is one that supports their ideas.

So to listen to a democrat for what a republican should stand for is idiotic. Since there litmus test will be is if they are really a democrat with an R after the name.

Republicants don't even know what they stand for besides offshore Tax havens and protecting the Rich look no further than Rmoney!

Juror No. 8

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
LOLWUT are smok'in?

If you don't think they want the same for America, why don't the Democrats ever repeal or put an end to anything the Republicans do, and why don't the Republicans ever repeal or put an end to anything the Democrats do? Why do both parties basically carry out the same policies? Why did Barack Obama campaign in 2008 on being the anti-Bush who was going to bring "change" and then, once he was elected, do nothing other than give us a third Bush term featuring more corporate welfare, more big spending, more war, more drones, and more police state?

The correct answer is it's a scam. You're being scammed. You're the proverbial professional wrestling fan who can't accept the fact that it's all fake. It's nothing more than a huge money making and power consolidation scheme.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
Charles, do you have examples of candidates I define as good but are really seen as bad candidates by the majority of the country or not?

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
Tell me what candidates you define as "good". But you can do that research yourself.

In general, the more favorable a candidate is to the "tea party", the less favorable it is to anyone else. Pretty much the same with a hard-left candidate -- they will do fine only in regions where everyone has a similar viewpoint.