Wow, Apple upgrade prices when ordering iMac are absurd

phexac

Jul 19, 2007
I was considering getting a 27" iMac for my wife and was checking out the different loadouts on them.

To go from 8GB memory to 16GB is $200 when the entire 16GB kit probably costs about $50-$70 retail.

Fusion drive to 512GB SSD is $200 when that's around the retail price of a top of the line consumer 512GB SSD.

$250 to go from i5 to i7 Haswell. The combination of overpricing and last gen processor is baffling.

I remembered that Apple overcharged for upgrades but these are way out there...

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
Always has been, always will be. Been talked about to death.

-KeithP

rugby

Oct 11, 2001
The SSD drive is not a SATA drive, but rather PCI-E which is a shit ton faster.

Never buy ram from Apple.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Yes, it's borderline extortion. And you're not going to have an enjoyable time upgrading an iMac, especially the newer ones. The only reason I haven't popped an SSD into my late 2010 iMac is because I really don't feel like dealing with suction cups and removing the glass 15,000 screws. Not to mention there's a hack I need to do to prevent the fans from going on full blast because removing the original HD messes up the thermal sensor. There is a small little part you can buy to solve the problem for like $50 bucks. Sigh.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Overpriced upgrades are hardly exclusive to Apple. Last time I looked at Dell it was pretty bad too. Though Apple is likely the worst of them.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Overpriced upgrades are hardly exclusive to Apple. Last time I looked at Dell it was pretty bad too. Though Apple is likely the worst of them.

This is very true, especially for notebooks and such. You basically have to wait for a $200 off sale to compensate for the exaggerated upgrade prices.

Nov 20, 2009
In Q3 2011 I bought my wife a 27" iMac. I took the 1TB spinner and the 4GB RAM. I then bought 16GB of Micron (?) RAM and installed it myself. Not sure if you can do that now. I also added a 3rd part external USB hard drive.

I do regret buying her the iMac. The desire to get her onto a more stable computing platform hasn't exactly panned out. I should have bought a Mac mini and a separate Cinema monitor whereby I could just buy a new mini, build a Hackintosh, etc.

Lessons learned.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
you don't understand .... it just works.

that ram, it just works.

the cpu, made by intel and not apple? it just works.

ok? it's for creative people that don't have time to spend on learning a computer that doesn't just works.
Getamac.png

jeez people today

xorbe

Sep 7, 2011
Same reason I don't own a tablet. The upgrade prices are insulting, more than the part coming out + the part going in.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
I have a 2011 model at work and it was very easy to upgrade the ram. However the crappy HDD looks like a nightmare to upgrade so better leave it alone. It's annoying because it's the HDD that is killing performance. With a SSD the machine will feel brand new almost. The rest of the specs are fine.

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
I have a 2011 model at work and it was very easy to upgrade the ram. However the crappy HDD looks like a nightmare to upgrade so better leave it alone. It's annoying because it's the HDD that is killing performance. With a SSD the machine will feel brand new almost. The rest of the specs are fine.

I may force myself to upgrade my iMac with an SSD at some point. It is the last piece of the puzzle. My dilemma is partially due to the fact that the iMac has a 1TB drive in it loaded with family stuff and my daughter and wife have their own user accounts and use the machine daily. I need to buy a 1TB SSD if I don't want to condition them to save elsewhere, etc. Not that big of a deal but still tedious, not to mention the lengthy repair job.

Prices for 1TB SSDs are still up there. I'm waiting for SSD prices to fall a bit further before I take the leap.

Based on the massive performance increase of my 2010 MacBook pro, I am more leaning toward the SSD upgrade in the iMac. I was OK without it but now that I've seen how much of a differene it can make, I'm increasingly tempted.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
you don't understand .... it just works.

that ram, it just works.

the cpu, made by intel and not apple? it just works.

ok? it's for creative people that don't have time to spend on learning a computer that doesn't just works.
Getamac.png

jeez people today

Windows has come a long way in stability and usability since those ads. The ads used to have some truth to them. Most people during that time were still on Windows XP or older, which are great systems, but not the easiest for a novice to use.

I can say that once I recommended my family to switch over to Mac, I've had a lot less calls. I barely get called at all now. One of the things that helps a lot is Apple's awesome customer service.

I'm not sure the current iMac are upgradeable anymore by the user. May want to research that before buying the base model with the intention of upgrading.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i consider the I'm A Mac to be one of the most vile campaigns ever; besides the fact that pretty much everything in it was wrong, the deviousness of each ad was infuriating AND it pushed a lot of people to buy macs when they should have bought pcs and i will even tell you why.

first off; that image is the opposite of reality.

at a consumer level (non-corporate) macs are by far the more professional-owned computers, not pcs. (we're assuming macs -> osx, pcs -> windows)
during the 90s macs had a lockdown on post-prod software, like final cut, or protools. if you were in the printing, video, photo, or sound editing business, all your colleagues and everyone you worked with was using a mac, saving on mac extensions, exporting mac files, and you needed a mac.
(i bet apple is really happy they insisted on proper monitor calibration, because that's what saved them)
businesses owned macs; "civilians" owned pcs.

the only reason to own a mac was always that the industry standards ran on them. to tell a college kid to buy a mac is like telling a gamer to run unix.

the reason why the NT platform was so superior, aside from the freedom to upgrade, and the lower cost, was the popularity; it was de facto, the "industry standard" of non-professionals.

i'm sorry if your family keeps asking you to fix things they should ask google, but that's what makes a responsible computer owner - people need to learn how to computer, so that they know what they are computering.

XP was, in practice, the open standard, that people coded on; whatever mod or addon you want for your pc, you can get it because someone has coded it and made it available for free.
And not just coding, but creating the modern computer community, from amazon to imgur to youtube. Maybe the servers ran on unix, maybe there were some linux users - they all contributed. But we created the digital world, through hard work and learning difficult stuff.

Macs didn't contribute squat; how much community-created resources come out of the mac world? Not from Apple, but from mac users.
Do you remember tucows? It was all either expensive, for-profit coded windows-freeware rehashes($40 for a mp3 player app in 1998), or 2d browser games. Zero new content.
The mac community didn't create winamp, bittorrent, overclocking, gumtree, Anandtech, and most certainly did not fight against SOPA or break the AACS encryption key.

I grew up with the development of computers and i have seen the many efforts (Microsoft in primis) to control computers and take away our digital rights, and i know that we have much freedom today that we take for granted, but that was given to us by people like Linus Torvalds and Richard Stallman. People fought, if metaphorically, for computers to be as they are today, upgradeable, moddable, and the property of their owner, not of who runs content through them.

Also, I'm sorry if macs have been crap for the past 20 years; maybe if they didn't cost twice as much and have 3 year old hardware in them, there would have been a bigger community. And, if they had been pushed - by need or will - to actually improve the platform they live on, then they would be a viable alternative to windows, like Linux is.

Apple's attitude of "don't think about your computer, just play" is irresponsible and made our society worse; there's too many people who have no idea of the implications of their choices, be it security, owners right, market control. PC ownership gratified savings, efficiency, intelligence. It was the coming of age of computers and we needed to have people as informed as they could possibly be; instead, we got an army of zombies.

Please don't mix yourself or other AT people who own macs, with the generic mac user. It's fine to own a mac (despite the cost and draconian control), just not for kids. It's bad, bad bad to sell your product by insulting people who are working for you.

The computer community needs people to contribute, in order to advance and Apple wants people to not do that.

Apple could have sold their product in so many ways, "it's the industry standard for editing", "we have a more stable, more modern OS", "Macs have better build quality", or simply "we are not Microsoft" but instead the chose to lie about their product and mislead hundreds of thousands of people.

Last edited:

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Fair enough, but those days are increasingly in the past. I agree with much of your point about how we got to where we are now.

IN terms of upgrading older iMacs, I spent some time reading about the upgrade process some more last night and I actually think swapping the HD for an SSD isn't such a big deal after all. I think I will go for it later this year.

Subyman

Mar 18, 2005
i consider the I'm A Mac to be one of the most vile campaigns ever; besides the fact that pretty much everything in it was wrong, the deviousness of each ad was infuriating AND it pushed a lot of people to buy macs when they should have bought pcs and i will even tell you why.

first off; that image is the opposite of reality.

at a consumer level (non-corporate) macs are by far the more professional-owned computers, not pcs. (we're assuming macs -> osx, pcs -> windows)
during the 90s macs had a lockdown on post-prod software, like final cut, or protools. if you were in the printing, video, photo, or sound editing business, all your colleagues and everyone you worked with was using a mac, saving on mac extensions, exporting mac files, and you needed a mac.
(i bet apple is really happy they insisted on proper monitor calibration, because that's what saved them)
businesses owned macs; "civilians" owned pcs.

the only reason to own a mac was always that the industry standards ran on them. to tell a college kid to buy a mac is like telling a gamer to run unix.

the reason why the NT platform was so superior, aside from the freedom to upgrade, and the lower cost, was the popularity; it was de facto, the "industry standard" of non-professionals.

i'm sorry if your family keeps asking you to fix things they should ask google, but that's what makes a responsible computer owner - people need to learn how to computer, so that they know what they are computering.

XP was, in practice, the open standard, that people coded on; whatever mod or addon you want for your pc, you can get it because someone has coded it and made it available for free.
And not just coding, but creating the modern computer community, from amazon to imgur to youtube. Maybe the servers ran on unix, maybe there were some linux users - they all contributed. But we created the digital world, through hard work and learning difficult stuff.

Macs didn't contribute squat; how much community-created resources come out of the mac world? Not from Apple, but from mac users.
Do you remember tucows? It was all either expensive, for-profit coded windows-freeware rehashes($40 for a mp3 player app in 1998), or 2d browser games. Zero new content.
The mac community didn't create winamp, bittorrent, overclocking, gumtree, Anandtech, and most certainly did not fight against SOPA or break the AACS encryption key.

I grew up with the development of computers and i have seen the many efforts (Microsoft in primis) to control computers and take away our digital rights, and i know that we have much freedom today that we take for granted, but that was given to us by people like Linus Torvalds and Richard Stallman. People fought, if metaphorically, for computers to be as they are today, upgradeable, moddable, and the property of their owner, not of who runs content through them.

Also, I'm sorry if macs have been crap for the past 20 years; maybe if they didn't cost twice as much and have 3 year old hardware in them, there would have been a bigger community. And, if they had been pushed - by need or will - to actually improve the platform they live on, then they would be a viable alternative to windows, like Linux is.

Apple's attitude of "don't think about your computer, just play" is irresponsible and made our society worse; there's too many people who have no idea of the implications of their choices, be it security, owners right, market control. PC ownership gratified savings, efficiency, intelligence. It was the coming of age of computers and we needed to have people as informed as they could possibly be; instead, we got an army of zombies.

Please don't mix yourself or other AT people who own macs, with the generic mac user. It's fine to own a mac (despite the cost and draconian control), just not for kids. It's bad, bad bad to sell your product by insulting people who are working for you.

The computer community needs people to contribute, in order to advance and Apple wants people to not do that.

Apple could have sold their product in so many ways, "it's the industry standard for editing", "we have a more stable, more modern OS", "Macs have better build quality", or simply "we are not Microsoft" but instead the chose to lie about their product and mislead hundreds of thousands of people.

Apple wanted to pivot to being a more mainstream product. Their ads did that and they were ingenious and produced huge results for the company. I agree that Mac was and somewhat still is the industry standard for design applications and that pretty much only super nerds used them at the time, so the ads were dubious. The ads were meant to change Apple's image, which they handiedly did.

As for giving a more user friendly item to someone who is completely disinterested in learning about technology being a disservice to them, I do not agree. People have different interests and you can't expect every single person to fully understand everything they use on a daily basis. People have very busy lives and need the things in which they rely on to "just work."

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
i consider the I'm A Mac to be one of the most vile campaigns ever;

Could you take another look at your post and edit a bit? I think I get what you're trying to say but in places I think you flipped mac and win (seriously) making it a confusing read. Thanks.

Edit: read it again, changed my mind, it's fine.

Last edited:

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
@Subyman

the argument that "just works" implies that Windows doesn't. You know fully well that even XP was stable, and only failed when the user pushed it by installing tons of freeware.
Besides that, i was a OS9 owner and i can assure you that MacOS fails just as easily as Windows does.
Also, i would agree that some people need to have machines that just work; but how you can equate this to pushing macs to college, or even high school students? Of all people, they are the ones who most should collaborate to the growth of the digital community... and also the ones who stand to profit the most from it.

@ironwing

such as.. what?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
@ironwing

such as.. what?
I read it again and I've changed my mind; what you wrote is fine. I disagree with your professional => mac vs non-professional => pc view in the 90s but only because of my professional world was different than your's. You are correct about the mac being the standard for image/video/audio at the time but for anything below the mainframe and mini-computer workstation grade, for engineering/CAD/science Windows was the standard. I used Sun, AIX, DEC, and SG minis and workstations as well as IBM mainframes when I had the chance but most work was done on x86 Windows boxes. In non-technical, general office work Windows absolutely dominated the landscape.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
I read it again and I've changed my mind; what you wrote is fine. I disagree with your professional => mac vs non-professional => pc view in the 90s but only because of my professional world was different than your's. You are correct about the mac being the standard for image/video/audio at the time but for anything below the mainframe and mini-computer workstation grade, for engineering/CAD/science Windows was the standard. I used Sun, AIX, DEC, and SG minis and workstations as well as IBM mainframes when I had the chance but most work was done on x86 Windows boxes. In non-technical, general office work Windows absolutely dominated the landscape.

i dont disagree - i just explained myself badly.

of the few macs out there, most were owned by businesses, and few by simple consumers. (because of cost .. lack of games .. the PR war .. etc)

on the other hand, there were many, many windows machines in the hands of normal users.

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
Whoa really? I thought that was only on the laptops? :eek:

Almost all Apple laptops (the aged 101 [the 13" NON retina Pro that they keep selling for... reasons] being the only outlier), the Mac Mini, and MAYBE the 21" iMac have soldered RAM. The 21" certainly doesn't have user accessible RAM, whether it's ultimately removable or not, I'm not sure.

The 27" iMac has user accessible/serviceable RAM, as does the Mac Pro.

paperwastage

Golden Member
May 25, 2010
I may force myself to upgrade my iMac with an SSD at some point. It is the last piece of the puzzle. My dilemma is partially due to the fact that the iMac has a 1TB drive in it loaded with family stuff and my daughter and wife have their own user accounts and use the machine daily. I need to buy a 1TB SSD if I don't want to condition them to save elsewhere, etc. Not that big of a deal but still tedious, not to mention the lengthy repair job.

Prices for 1TB SSDs are still up there. I'm waiting for SSD prices to fall a bit further before I take the leap..

1TB SSD Mushkin has been onsale for ~$220... i think that's cheap enough

2TB SSD samsung evo is $660 (roughly 50% premium)

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Yeah. I'm waiting for 1TB for $125 to $150. I imagine 12-18 months.

Subyman

Mar 18, 2005
@Subyman

the argument that "just works" implies that Windows doesn't. You know fully well that even XP was stable, and only failed when the user pushed it by installing tons of freeware.
Besides that, i was a OS9 owner and i can assure you that MacOS fails just as easily as Windows does.
Also, i would agree that some people need to have machines that just work; but how you can equate this to pushing macs to college, or even high school students? Of all people, they are the ones who most should collaborate to the growth of the digital community... and also the ones who stand to profit the most from it.

I've used both OS's extensively. I think a large part of the perception of OS X being better than Windows is because OS X has a hardware standard.