• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Wow, about 80% have cells phones in iceland

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I was just reading it on the net, 79.1% of people from age 16-75 have cell phones. Just wow, alot more than I thought.

And 65% have access to the internet at home. Just cant wait for my 100mbps inet connection that I´ll hopefully get next year, drool people, drool.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
And they're dangerous. People drive with them and get into accidents. And they give you cancer.

I think the Icelandic goverment should spend a lot of money to convince people that cell phones are bad. Then when that doesn't work they should just ban them.

abracadabra1

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 1999
it's merely a conveniece...cell phones aren't necessary, but neither is fine food

it sure is nice though ;)

cxim

Golden Member
Dec 18, 1999
BF,

you should check into cost to the Iceland Gov concerning landlines vrs cell phones before you submit your proposal

My guess is that population density, the climate, & land contour has a great deal to do with cost & with which type of phone system is most appropriate.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Its more like that we "think its cool" to have a cell phone, we icelanders are such techno freaks, must have everything thats new.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Thank you for helping my point Czar. They're not necessary, and they're dangerous. Ban them.

cerebusPu

Diamond Member
May 27, 2000
dont say anything if you arent sure czar.

my friend in france tells me that it is cheaper to have a cell phone than regular landline service. And thats france, where cell phone rates are more expensive than Iceland or Finland or any of those northern coldass countries.

What they do in some parts of europe is make it backwards...when you receive a call on landline you pay for it...when you receive a call on cell phone...you dont pay for it. Its a very great idea...I like it.

Mark

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Ussally when you see a country that has a high percentage of cell phones, it's ussally it's too expensive to put telephone lines in people houses so it's cheaper just using cell phones.

Zucchini

Banned
Dec 10, 1999
Face it, we americans are slow..:( Its not just iceland that has a massive advantage over us in cellphones, hell tons of asian countries also do. When my mom visited hong kong she saw little old women on the bus yacking on cellphones hehe:)

and goddamnit, cellphones aren't evil. If your gonna ban cellphones in cars, ban passengers.. talking to passengers is #@% distracting. Ban little children, taking car of them in the car is way too #%@ distracting. Might as well ban mothers too i guess. Ban eating.. ban%#@ everything. I think we should have little cameras installed in all our cars so the government can watch ppl and automatically fine ppl that do something else while driving.

On a more serious note, i think cellphone signals should be jammed in theaters and other places like that. That or a large fine if the phone rings during the feature/performance and a beating if they answer the phone. Happens almost everytime i go to the movies, how hard is it to remember to turn your %#@ phone off.

and those that think cellphones aren't useful,.. i don't know whats wrong with you. If your busy or have more then 1 friend, its very useful.

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Telephones of all types are a cancer on the body politic. They are worse than heroin, ecstasy, LSD, marijuana, and all drugs combined.

I would like to have one telephone in my house and have it installed in the garage.

When YOU have a 12 year old daughter, you'll understand. :p :p

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Actually we have a very good ground line system here and its very cheap to. Whats best is that now we are getting fiber optics in each home, dedicated 100mbps and two ip numbers per home :)... that will happen next year though. DVD quality pay per view will also come with that. Like I said, we icelanders are technology freaks, we want it all.

Zucchini

Banned
Dec 10, 1999
Czar,

You are one lucky #%@ I almost wish i was living in iceland:( I think they wired my neighborhood for fiber, but nothing happened after that:(

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The worst part is that the 100mbps is only the speed we will get between homes here in iceland, the problem is that the company that will be providing this has only got a 45mbps connection through Candat3, the OC out of the country. But, thats going to improve soon, they will buy more bandwith when this all starts and another company here is putting its own OC out of the country.

perry

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2000
I got a cell phone, don't use it much. Use my home phone even less. If I could convince both my roommates to get cell phones I would just cancel the stinkin home phone. Bellsouth complete choice + VM + inside wire maintance + fees + taxes comes out to around $50/month. Don't forget to add LD.

I pay $30/month for 500 cell phone minutes with LD included. Tax and stuff comes out to around $35. And its more convenient. I carry the darn thing everywhere (it's usually on vibrate so I don't disturb people with the ringing) so it's easier to get ahold of me on my cell.

When I move out to an apartment on my own, I probably won't get a landline. Just use the cell all the time.

ASK THE COMMUNITY