Wow, 118,000 users registered on the forums

optoman

Diamond Member
Nov 15, 1999
I wonder how many of those are active. Do they ever get rid of the none active accounts?

Do you actually believe those numbers when you have members returning incognito, circumstantial registration in order to straighten things out with the moderators, and members from other forums intentionally disrupting the forum?

Walleye

Banned
Dec 1, 2002
Originally posted by: luvly
Do you actually believe those numbers when you have members returning incognito, circumstantial registration in order to straighten things out with the moderators, and members from other forums intentionally disrupting the forum?

that's why i said ABOUT ;)

TechnoKid

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2001
Can you imagine if we started a money pyramid we'd be rich! or maybe not...That is a lot of member though.

Damn Dirty Ape

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 1999
I challenge the mods to go through and weed out the ones with long-abandoned email addresses, duplicate accounts, banned accounts longer than one year, etc....

You know the reason they don't? They can charge more for the banner ads, the more members that number says they have...

"You know the reason they don't? They can charge more for the banner ads, the more members that number says they have..."

Okay, HellSpawn, I have a problem with your reasoning. . . . I came close to agreeing or accepting, but something is questionable.

Now, if the mods really fail to delete accounts for the reason you stated, then why would mods be adamant about people returning incognito or even having more than one account? Why do people get instantly banned when the mods uncover this fact, even if other members do not know? It would seem to me that the mods would encourage more people to have accounts as a joke account at least, for as long as they're in compliance with other rules of the forum and the mods can keep track of the accounts they own.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Hellspawn
I challenge the mods to go through and weed out the ones with long-abandoned email addresses, duplicate accounts, banned accounts longer than one year, etc....

You know the reason they don't? They can charge more for the banner ads, the more members that number says they have...

They don't charge for ads based on member count. They do it based on cost per thousand, at least that would seem most likely. Then they charge rates based on where on the page, the ones located at the top cost the most since you see those first and almost always see those.

Walleye

Banned
Dec 1, 2002
Originally posted by: AgaBooga
Originally posted by: Hellspawn

They don't charge for ads based on member count. They do it based on cost per thousand, at least that would seem most likely. Then they charge rates based on where on the page, the ones located at the top cost the most since you see those first and almost always see those.

they get paid based on hits on the page. and yes, the side columns do get more noticed, so they do get more money based on them.

however, i dont even notice the adds to the left, so it's okay ;)

Antisocial Virge

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 1999
559 members on right now out of 118 044. Now a quick glance at Somethingawful.com is 1559 out of 17 780 people. I figure alot of the 118044 are very inactive.

Lounatik

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
I actually remember when the number was around 2-3000 and people were getting all worked up over the 10,000 member plateau. Ahhh, the memories.

Peace

Lounatik