"Wouldn't you feel safer with a gun?"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: techs
Originally posted by: Nebor
Originally posted by: PrinceofWands
Originally posted by: sandorski
One may "feel safer" with a gun, but they're actually less safe. "Feelings" are not Reality.

Actually the EXACT opposite is clearly true. Though your last statement is absolutely true, and essential. It's the reason we have the fallacy of gun control at all.

For sure. My guns have saved my life repeatedly, and never done me or my loved ones any harm.

Conversely, gun control is all about "feeling" safer. You'll never take the guns away from the people you want disarmed.

Shens. Shens. Shens.

You are a dangerous gun nut who should NEVER be allowed to have one.
Read below what you posted previously:

Originally posted by: Hyperblaze
And yet they were voted in the office....twice.

Where are all them bush supporters?

Probably cheering "4 more years."

I'd vote for him again. Or support any other method he used to remain in power.

Your sarcasm meter has been out for a while on that one.

If you feel so strongly that I shouldn't have guns, you are more than welcome to come (try to) take them. :)

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: NeoV
Guess how many people in the UK were killed by guns in 2006? 210. Care to compare that with the US? Care to compare the rate of crimes committed with a gun in the UK to the US?

haven't their stabbings skyrocketed since guns were banned? IIRC, the UK was considering legislation to ban knives because of all these stabbings...what's next?

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: spacejamz
Originally posted by: NeoV
Guess how many people in the UK were killed by guns in 2006? 210. Care to compare that with the US? Care to compare the rate of crimes committed with a gun in the UK to the US?

haven't their stabbings skyrocketed since guns were banned? IIRC, the UK was considering legislation to ban knives because of all these stabbings...what's next?

Uh, and people are being kicked to death. Gun control: Advocating that 95lb women fist fight with 220lb rapists. :thumbsup:

3chordcharlie

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2004
One may "feel safer" with a gun, but they're actually less safe. "Feelings" are not Reality.

Actually the EXACT opposite is clearly true. Though your last statement is absolutely true, and essential. It's the reason we have the fallacy of gun control at all.

For sure. My guns have saved my life repeatedly, and never done me or my loved ones any harm.

Conversely, gun control is all about "feeling" safer. You'll never take the guns away from the people you want disarmed.

Couldn't agree more, my no guns have cost me my life a good number of times.

It's a good thing I'm actually a cat, but I really am starting to run out.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: 3chordcharlie

Good for you. I respect your decision to have as many or as few guns as you want. I would appreciate you returning the favor. :)

3chordcharlie

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2004

Good for you. I respect your decision to have as many or as few guns as you want. I would appreciate you returning the favor. :)
Oh, go right ahead and own guns, I don't care.

I find it exceedingly difficult to believe that you have legitimately saved your own life or others even once, let alone repeatedly, unless you are either thrill-seeking, or an under-world criminal type.

In 26+ years, I've seen one person killed by a criminal, but that was a drunk driver, and I doubt a gun would have helped.

AmigaMan

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999

I find it exceedingly difficult to believe that you have legitimately saved your own life or others even once, let alone repeatedly, unless you are either thrill-seeking, or an under-world criminal type.

In 26+ years, I've seen one person killed by a criminal, but that was a drunk driver, and I doubt a gun would have helped.

Cuz we all live just like you, in the same place as you, and have the same exact circumstances you have. While I'm sure your 26+ years of experience in life has taught you much, you clearly have no clue to how life really is outside your fantasy world.

If you cared to read any of the amicus briefs in the Heller vs. DC Supreme Court case, you'd see tons of evidence proving that legal gun ownership by law-abiding citizens prevents crime. If you take that away, you're basically allowing the criminals to have their way with everyone.

3chordcharlie

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2004
Originally posted by: AmigaMan
Cuz we all live just like you, in the same place as you, and have the same exact circumstances you have. While I'm sure your 26+ years of experience in life has taught you much, you clearly have no clue to how life really is outside your fantasy world.

If you cared to read any of the amicus briefs in the Heller vs. DC Supreme Court case, you'd see tons of evidence proving that legal gun ownership by law-abiding citizens prevents crime. If you take that away, you're basically allowing the criminals to have their way with everyone.

You're reading far too much into my post.

You're also an idiot if you think random gun crime is so rampant, with or without gun control, that you can expect a single person to prevent even one significant incident in their life, let alone several.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

He doesn't live in a fantasy world. He lives in a world where Guns are not cherished as a Penis enhancement device.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004

You're also an idiot if you think random gun crime is so rampant, with or without gun control, that you can expect a single person to prevent even one significant incident in their life, let alone several.

"Saved my life" is probably an exaggeration in Nebor's case, but who said that concealed carry could only be used to combat gun crime, and homicidal crime at that? Sure, most of us will go through our entire lives without ever being held at gunpoint or shot at, but a lot more of us might get robbed, have a road rager start threatening us and trashing our car, be approached by some very suspicious people while walking alone at night...in these situations, while chances are high that you wouldn't be killed without a gun, I can understand the desire to have one as an option, because you don't know. It might do nothing, it might save you from getting robbed or hurt, or it might save your life. You always have the option not to use it if the situation doesn't play out that way, but as a non-gun owner myself I know that I have no other option if I get accosted. I have my own reasons for not owning, but frankly the logical, thought-out concealed carry viewpoint makes sense to me as well.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003

Er, if you look at a country like England, odds are you will be robbed in your lifetime. Look at South Africa, where if you're a woman, odds are you will be raped more than once in your lifetime. Both countries with extreme gun control. You're telling me no one there could protect themself?

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Don't places in the US with the tightest gun control generally have the highest violent crime rates.

Legal owners of firearms in the US commit very few gun crimes. It's the people that have obtained firearms illegally that are the criminals. Imagine the idea of Criminals doing criminal actions.

3chordcharlie

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2004
Originally posted by: jagec

"Saved my life" is probably an exaggeration in Nebor's case, but who said that concealed carry could only be used to combat gun crime, and homicidal crime at that? Sure, most of us will go through our entire lives without ever being held at gunpoint or shot at, but a lot more of us might get robbed, have a road rager start threatening us and trashing our car, be approached by some very suspicious people while walking alone at night...in these situations, while chances are high that you wouldn't be killed without a gun, I can understand the desire to have one as an option, because you don't know. It might do nothing, it might save you from getting robbed or hurt, or it might save your life. You always have the option not to use it if the situation doesn't play out that way, but as a non-gun owner myself I know that I have no other option if I get accosted. I have my own reasons for not owning, but frankly the logical, thought-out concealed carry viewpoint makes sense to me as well.

And we're back to "You're reading far too much into my post."

I grew up in what is considered a rougher part of Toronto, and there has never, ever been a time that I would have felt safer with a gun, or that I feared for my safety at all.

I'm not claiming that this forces a conclusion of 'gun ownership is a bad idea'.

I am saying that I simply don't believe one person has innocently ended up in as many 'draw' situations as Nebor. I could be wrong - he could just be exceptionally unlucky.

It's kind of like one of Dissipate's threads, where he's likely to conclude that air should be distributed by a free market, but never for free - it's a one-dimensional viewpoint, and it doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

He doesn't live in a fantasy world. He lives in a world where Guns are not cherished as a Penis enhancement device.

Or hated as an embodiment of penis envy.

I have found that gun rights arguments on the internet are the epitome of stupid. Where else do self-proclaimed "liberals" fight for a "law and order" agenda and claim that poverty and unemployment has nothing to do with crime rates, and "moral conservatives" find themselves in agreement with the socially liberal crowd?