Wouldn't want to fly with this pilot in the cockpit <g>

rootaxs

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2000
Was just going over some reviews at Carreview.com and found this one:

<< ...Being a pilot I can tell you for certain colder air makes an engine performance increase. That's why planes fly higher, the higher the colder. The density is greater... >>

Unless i slept through my thermodynamics class, last i heard is hot air rises and the higher we go the less dense air is.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Siva

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2001
The higher you go, the colder it is. The higher you go the less dense the air is. You are half right, he is half right.

There is less pressure at higher altitudes, so that makes the air less dense, despite the cold temps.

Kntx

Platinum Member
Dec 11, 2000
it's true that airplane engines perform better in cold air and that air is colder as you go higher (hence snow on mountain tops). However the air is also thinner as you go higher (hence mountain climbers needing oxygen bottles).

So, in conclusion he's a pilot so he probably knows more about flying than I do.

rootaxs

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2000
So i guess he's part wrong about how being higher is good for an engine's intake. He was doing a review on an AEM Intake, i agree with the colder air theory and the reasoning behind wanting cold air is density and thus more oxygen - which is what the intake is made for in the first place.

BruinEd03

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2001
Plane's fly higher because the air is less dense and hence less resistance/drag when they fly thus requiring less fuel.

-Ed

freebee

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2000
If they fly higher cause the air is lense dense, what stops them from going higher still. I mean, is there a certain height where the air has so little density as to be not practical for the engine?

LordMaul

Lifer
Nov 16, 2000

<< The higher you go, the colder it is. The higher you go the less dense the air is. You are half right, he is half right.

There is less pressure at higher altitudes, so that makes the air less dense, despite the cold temps.
>>

<Neo> WOAH! </Neo>