Wouldn't Romney spend more than Obama?

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
I heard that Romney is only going to cut discretionary non-military spending by 5% while increase military spending even more than Obama has.

If I'm not mistaken discretionary defense spending isn't more than 800Bn for FY2012, so that's a meager 40Bn reduction. But then I would assume that 40Bn would at least be cancelled out by the increases in military spending that Romney would request. He hasn't said how much he wants to increase military spending, he's just said that we need to spend more on the military.

He would have to do some serious means testing for SS and medicare, cut medicaid, schip, negative taxes for the poor, and food stamps by 1/2, then freeze the whole budget for at least 6 years until there was a balanced budget.

The U.S. debt is higher per capita than Greece (higher than every country in the whole world actually), so how could Romney be president without a collapse of the U.S. Federal Republic within the next decade?

Even a recent bloomberg article says that Dr. Paul is the only one who would balance the budget. Having any deficit isn't going to work. It absolutely needs to be eliminated next fiscal year or else we're going to be in deep shit. The problem is that the Republicans are just as into "job creation" as the Dems are. The real problem is the deficit because the government could control that. The government can't, however, "create" jobs without increasing the deficit even more.

The only way Romney could spend that amount of money while coming anywhere close to balancing the budget is if he regulates the ***k out of things to drive revenues up and he'd have to completely nationalize the banking system. The banks aren't going to continue lending at near zero interest even if the Fed keeps their rates low.

Matthiasa

Diamond Member
May 4, 2009
Umm... the US isn't even close to having the highest debt per capita.
That honor goes to Luxembourg at over 3M per person more than second place Ireland.

Ynog

Golden Member
Oct 9, 2002
Using Obama's 2013 Budget Proposal: $3.7 trillion dollars with approximately 900 billion dollar deficit. Assumes $2.8 trillion in revenue.

Approximately 2.3 Trillion dollars of that budget is Health and Human Services + Social Security + Treasury. That leaves approximately 500 billion dollars for the rest of the government.

Somehow I don't see a balanced budget being passed in the foreseeable future. Regardless of which party (Democrat or Republican) is in charge.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Wouldn't Romney spend more than Obama?

I tend to doubt it.

I realize I'm probably alone in this, but I think the 'worm has turned' in the Repub party. I think too many conservatives, libertarians and indies want to see reduced spending.

Fern

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
I tend to doubt it.

I realize I'm probably alone in this, but I think the 'worm has turned' in the Repub party. I think too many conservatives, libertarians and indies want to see reduced spending.

Fern

Haha, Romney's going to invade Iran.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
I tend to doubt it.

Fern
A lot of people thought the "worm turned" in the GOP when Reagan was elected. It turned out he spent more per year than Carter, not only on warfare, but also on welfare. If it weren't for Reagan we probably wouldn't even have to worry social security anymore.

Romney himself has never committed himself to reducing overall spending. I believe he's already said he that there wasn't enough military spending. His "cuts" also doesn't count if he plans to inflate the dollar even more and if he plans on artificially boosting GDP.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
-snip-
Romney himself has never committed himself to reducing overall spending. I believe he's already said he that there wasn't enough military spending. His "cuts" also doesn't count if he plans to inflate the dollar even more and if he plans on artificially boosting GDP.

My post is more directed at the Repub party in general, and thinking of Congress specifically.

Spending is the responsibility of Congress. IMO, if Romney wanted to increase spending/deficit as President, he'd have to go against the Repub's in Congress. I don't see it happening. As is it now, Repub leaders have had major problems getting junior Repub members of Congress to go along with any compromises with the Dems on spending.

Fern

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I tend to doubt it.

Fern

You better believe though that if Obama is re-elected and proposes big cuts he will be accused of desimated our military strengh. It's like Nixon could go to China but if McGovern had been elected and tried the same thing holy hell would've broken loose.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
You better believe though that if Obama is re-elected and proposes big cuts he will be accused of desimated our military strengh. It's like Nixon could go to China but if McGovern had been elected and tried the same thing holy hell would've broken loose.

I thought that already happened?

But yes, as he proposes cuts to the military he will surely be accused of decimating the military.

Fern

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
No offense intended, but you're missing on quite a bit of news.

http://news.yahoo.com/obama-proposes-defense-cut-decade-growth-012121399.html

Sec of Defense testified about it (or at least made public remarks). Some members of Congress, e.g., McCain, blasted Obama over it.

It was quite the topic of discussion when his proposed budget was released earlier this month.

Fern
He's still increasing it. It's 950Bn less than he originally wanted to spend over 10 years, which will be no less than what's being spent now. It's still an increase because most of that amount will be towards the end of the 10 year period and the dollar will be worth a lot less then than it is now.

I mean, if he were going to cut military spending, then wouldn't he say it terms of next year (rather than a 10 year period)? The government saying it's going to cut x amount of spending over 5, 10, however many years is just deceitful.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
He's still increasing it. It's 950Bn less than he originally wanted to spend over 10 years, which will be no less than what's being spent now. It's still an increase because most of that amount will be towards the end of the 10 year period and the dollar will be worth a lot less then than it is now.

I mean, if he were going to cut military spending, then wouldn't he say it terms of next year (rather than a 10 year period)? The government saying it's going to cut x amount of spending over 5, 10, however many years is just deceitful.

Perhaps. But I'm pretty sure there's a Congressional law that requires the budgetary effects of anything to be quantified over a 10 yr period.

But he proposed some 'real' cuts because they called for a reduction in troops etc, and reduced our ability to simultaneously wage war on 2 fronts down to 1. Now whether our military force reductions/cuts bring net spending cuts too I can't answer.

Fern