Wouldn't it be better if people got to vote on bills?

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001
Congressmen are a corrupt group of slimebags who allegedly vote for our behalf while taking gifts from corporations. Wouldn't it be better if we got to vote on the proposed tax cut or voter reform or health care etc.. (I'm talking about major issues) instead of lobbyists bribing congressmen with campaign money. Maybe we can have a vote every 4 months on major bills. Another thing, lobbyists should be banned. I'm sure this would also get people more involved in politics.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: BarneyFife
Congressmen are a corrupt group of slimebags who allegedly vote for our behalf while taking gifts from corporations. Wouldn't it be better if we got to vote on the proposed tax cut or voter reform or health care etc.. (I'm talking about major issues) instead of lobbyists bribing congressmen with campaign money. Maybe we can have a vote every 4 months on major bills. Another thing, lobbyists should be banned. I'm sure this would also get people more involved in politics.

Direct democracy is nothing more than mob rule.

tweakmm

Lifer
May 28, 2001
Originally posted by: charrison

as opposed to corporation rule which is what our current legilsative system has become for all practical purposes

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: tweakmm

as opposed to corporation rule

We dont have corporation rule right now, the corporate world, does have say, but so do PACs and the people.

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001

So the government run by the people is mob rule, yet the government run by corporations is fine? Interesting... Well check out this link that shows how much money is being spent by corporations to influence decisions that benefit them, not me and you.
Link

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

So the government run by the people is mob rule, yet the government run by corporations is fine? Interesting... Well check out this link that shows how much money is being spent by corporations to influence decisions that benefit them, not me and you.
Link

PACs and people also contribute a great deal of money as well.

I think their should be campaign finance reform. The only way to do this is give power back to the states and let the state goverments appoint senators as the constitution was originally written. This at the very least would force politics to be more local.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Great idea, 300 plus mini elections (on bills instead) every year just like the last one...... Can we ban all the residents in florida from voting? Then I would say ok.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Alistar7
Great idea, 300 plus mini elections (on bills instead) every year just like the last one...... Can we ban all the residents in florida from voting? Then I would say ok.

I think with direct democracy it would be quite easy for the other 49 states to strip voting rights from florida.

Mandrill

Golden Member
Feb 7, 2000
I'd settle for the Line Item Veto. Also I think it would be neat if a President bought some air time when he is forced to veto a bill because it contains all kinds of riders in it. Instead of getting lambasted by the opposition for being against say heathcare, gun control, etc.... He could say "Here is why I had to veto this bill. Sen Bob from Wyoming attached a rider that set aside 4 million dollars for a study of warts in field mice" etc.....

That might also have the benefit of making people think twice about porking up bills because they will be publicly called on it

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
People wouldn't read the bills. They wouldn't even read an executive summary of the bills.

RigorousT

Jan 12, 2001
Originally posted by: sward666
Originally posted by: zephyrprime
People wouldn't read the bills. They wouldn't even read an executive summary of the bills.
What he said.
The majority are dumb... it was true back when the constitution was written and it's just as true today. Plus, we "hire" professional politicians cuz most of the rest of us have jobs and a life (somewhat)... They know the protocol, they know the lingo, they say what makes us happy so we go on about our mundane lives. Plus, if your corperations don't get their way, your bosses aren't happy and you don't get to get a raise.

But yeah, it'd be cool if like 1 hour on Sundays we had a yes/no vote zapper for the fun decisions...

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
An online voting forum?

Set them up like the polls here, that way if you liked you could read about the issue with a wide range of perspectives being brought to bear......;)

I always thought election days should be holidays, given with pay IF you voted.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999

Do you vote?

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
boy, I don't even know where to begin to respond to this.

Trezza

Sep 18, 2002
Voting isn't a fun or light hearted task that should be thrown around once every four months. For every bill there is a special interest that got it started and therefore to a % of the american people it would be important and as a good citizen you should vote. Look at how many bills are put forth in congress and you tell me if you think you want to vote that many times. I am not even going to talk about how this would throw the constitution out the window, you know that little thing called checks and balences.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
True or "direct" democracy is quite possibly the world's worst form of government. It is pure mob rule, worse than any tyranny, where the "majority" dictates to everyone how they should live every form of their lives. We already have too much democracy now, and our Founding Fathers never wanted America to be a democracy. They built a constitutional republic, a representative limited government. IMO, the best form of government.

edit:
Originally posted by: Alistar7
I think with direct democracy it would be quite easy for the other 49 states to strip voting rights from florida.
Exactly.