Would you want to know the sex of your baby before birth?

monk3y

Lifer
Jun 12, 2001
Pretty straight forward. I haven't had any children yet but I'm fairly certain I wouldn't want to know until the birth.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Yes. I haven't had any kids yet, but I figure things are going to be hectic enough once the baby arrives, so might as well get a jump start purchasing things such as clothes with that gender's color.

blackdogdeek

Lifer
Mar 14, 2003
the first one we didn't find out. we kept it a surprise.

the second we found out, for practicality reasons.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
For the first one we didn't care but found out inadvertently during a sonogram because my son had his legs spread out for all the world to see. It was kind of obvious we were having a boy.

For the second, I wanted to know for practical reasons. We had a ton of baby boy clothes, boy toys, boy furniture, yadda yadda yadda that was sitting in bins. I wanted to know whether or not we needed to start unpacking that stuff or donate it and start buying/asking for girl stuff. Turns out we had to get rid of the boy stuff, keep the gender neutral stuff, and buy/ask for girl stuff.

Jan 18, 2001
My wife and I have 2 kids and are expecting a 3rd in about 4 weeks. We've chosen NOT to find out until the baby was born for all three.

monk3y

Lifer
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Queasy
For the first one we didn't care but found out inadvertently during a sonogram because my son had his legs spread out for all the world to see. It was kind of obvious we were having a boy.

Has to be a proud moment in a mans life :D

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Yes, our baby boy is due at the end of April. We initially talked about not knowing, but knowing the sex makes things like purchasing clothing, nursery preparation, and dealing with anxious grandparents so much easier.

NuroMancer

Golden Member
Nov 8, 2004
For me, its would be partly the practical reasons, and partly, I would want to know to help me come up with a name...

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
nope didn't know for both of ours and wouldn't want to know for anymore.
Wouldnt have it any other way.

geecee

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2003
We wanted to be old-fashioned and be surprised for the first child so we specifically asked not to be told. The second time around we wanted to know. Not a big deal either way. Knowing early is nice because you're not forced to buy clothing in gender neutral colors or styles (it makes gifts easier as well). Also, you spend less time thinking about names because you can narrow them down to one set or another. Besides, even if your doctor tells you, they can still be mistaken. :)

Yreka

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
Originally posted by: monk3y
Originally posted by: Queasy

Has to be a proud moment in a mans life :D

Very proud. I remember the Ultrasound when we found out we were having a boy, I kept asking the midwife, "Are you sure?... Are you sure thats what that is ?... I mean, could it just be a... blob or something ?" I was so afraid we were getting a false positive. hehe

My wife still gives me $hit for that.

Anyway, yeah we wanted to know for practicality reasons. We wanted to nail down a name, color of clothes, etc.

blackdogdeek

Lifer
Mar 14, 2003
Originally posted by: dainthomas
If God wanted you to know, he would have women's abdomens out of plexiglass.

i'm curious about your stance on ultrasounds and amniocentesis to determine health of the baby while in the womb.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: blackdogdeek

i'm curious about your stance on ultrasounds and amniocentesis to determine health of the baby while in the womb.

It was a joke son... stop trying to look for a fight.

chambersc

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2005
absolutely. it makes shopping for their clothes, paint schemes, and toys much easier.

:thumbsup:

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
My wife and I found out what sex our baby was before he was born. I would definitely do it again too. It definitely helped with the preparations.