Would you vote for a President who was previously divorced?

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Yes. Instead of why, why not?

Well I was expecting responses like, If he can't keep a marriage together, how cold they keep a country together. Or, everyone makes mistakes.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by: zerocool84
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Yes. Instead of why, why not?

Well I was expecting responses like, If he can't keep a marriage together, how cold they keep a country together. Or, everyone makes mistakes.

This is a Republican Taliban value not a Democrat one so I would apply it only to Republicans. I did not, however, vote for Clinton because he was worthless as a husband, in my opinion.

Jun 26, 2007
Shit like how their stances on issues might be too difficult for some to comprehend, or as of now, at least one person.

In the long run, that is what wins votes (votes that ARE winnable), the undecided are usually the most intelligent people and the only ones who give a shit about the real stance and how it could benefit the country (and themselves), the already decided will not be swayed.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Well of course we would. Why not? What does being divorced have to do with running for president? The idiotic drama keeps you from the real issues.

woodie1

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2000
Yes, without giving it a second thought. How are divorce and being President related.

jackschmittusa

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2003
Can't imagine why you'd ask the question.

Though I have been married for 36 years, I see no absolute imperative to keep a marriage together if it does not work out well.

Sometimes the best managers spend so much time doing what they do best, that their marriages fall apart because the spouse fells like second fiddle. I have also seen people stay together seemingly just to torment each other.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Sometimes it takes a true leader to admit that they made a mistake and fix it rather than just living with the results.

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
Would you vote for someone who has killed another person?

Would you vote for someone who is not and has never been married?

Would you vote for someone who has never had a drop of alcohol?

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Yes I would vote, but I won't vote for someone who cheated on their previous wife like McCain did.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
Originally posted by: seemingly random
Would you vote for someone who has killed another person?

Would you vote for someone who is not and has never been married?

Would you vote for someone who has never had a drop of alcohol?

Depends on who they killed and why they did it.

Yes.

Yes.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: zerocool84

Sorry, but there's no way to make value judgments without knowing the unique circumstances of the particular couple's private lives that could lead to a divorce. There are lots of reasons why a divorce could be the best and most rational move a couple could make.

woodie1

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2000
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Yes I would vote, but I won't vote for someone who cheated on their previous wife like McCain did.

Speaking of cheating, did you vote for Slick Willy?

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: woodie1

Wasn't old enough to vote.

Even if I was, news of the scandal didn't break until Jan. 2008, well after his elections were held.

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007

Not that I defend marital infidelity, but don't you feel a bit trite repeating this? like a discarded tool?

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004

Even if I was, news of the scandal didn't break until Jan. 2008, well after his elections were held.
????
News of Bill Clinton's infidelities broke in 1992, during the presidential primaries. There was a famous TV interview (60 Minutes? Too lazy to Google) with Bill & Hillary during which he explained it away, with his "loving wife" by his side, supporting him.

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
Originally posted by: CallMeJoe

????
News of Bill Clinton's infidelities broke in 1992, during the presidential primaries. There was a famous TV interview (60 Minutes? Too lazy to Google) with Bill & Hillary during which he explained it away, with his "loving wife" by his side, supporting him.
Without googling, I believe it was mike wallace.

It was minor but nevertheless, probably a sham. I equate it to most candidates promising to do something for the religious and then never following through.

woodie1

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2000

Not that I defend marital infidelity, but don't you feel a bit trite repeating this? like a discarded tool?

Not in the least, thank you very much.
He brought up cheating.

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007

Not in the least, thank you very much.
He brought up cheating.
Ok. Why didn't you just ask him if he voted for clinton then? There is a shelf life for political slogans and using one which is out of date makes the speaker sound bitter and out of touch.

Just saying...

Jun 26, 2007
personally, and since i'm an Englisman this may differ but i wouldn't care if the man running were fornicating with men and women all night and all day while being married or divorced as long as i agreed with him on the issues, he'd get my vote.