Would you upgrade from a Surfboard 5120 to a 6141? Upgraded... huge speed difference

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
I primarily surf the web but do some light console gaming and do stream Netflix/Amazon/etc. Would the modem upgrade possibly provide more consistent HD feeds from these sources?

FYI, I have Comcast Blast internet which is supposed to be 50 down / 15 up and my speed test is ~ 17.5 / 7.5. Not sure if the modem has anything to do with this or not.

Thanks.

*update*

Wanted to provide a quick update. I ordered a 6141 from Staples and just installed it. Speed tests are as follows:

~45 down
~12 up

Much better now.

Last edited:

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
I got 30mbps reliably on my 30 down/6 up connection with my 5120 until it died and had to be replaced. If yours is only getting 17.5mbps and you SHOULD be getting 50mbps, I'd have Comcast check your connection to see if there is a problem on the lines before you buy a new modem (unless you are renting the modem from Comcast, in which case have them check the lines AND replace the modem).

Last edited:

TheCrackLing

Feb 11, 2013
Yes, you should upgrade from your Surfboard 5120 to a 6141. The 5120 is limited to 1 upstream, and 1 downstream. You will never be able to get 50 Mbps on a 5120, it is impossible, as 1 downstream is limited to 38 Mbps when nobody else is using it.

From what it sounds like you are in a crowded area, so being able to use 4 upstreams and 8 downstreams would improve your situation a lot. So yes, upgrade it.

ImDonly1

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2004
If you are on blast, then yes you should upgrade 100%.

Why are you paying for blast when your modem can only handle performance tier speeds (28/5)?

Even I'm on performance and have a sb6121.

Last edited:

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Why are you paying for blast when your modem can only handle performance tier speeds (28/5)?
I can't answer for the OP but in my case, I was not aware that my modem was not capable of the tier I was paying for until it suddenly popped into my head one day. Comcast does not reach out to their customers to let them know this. I am using a Comcast supplied modem. I would imagine that if one is using their own modem, it would be even less important to Comcast to let their customer know.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
I can't answer for the OP but in my case, I was not aware that my modem was not capable of the tier I was paying for until it suddenly popped into my head one day. Comcast does not reach out to their customers to let them know this. I am using a Comcast supplied modem. I would imagine that if one is using their own modem, it would be even less important to Comcast to let their customer know.

This. I didn't know until they started calling telling me my modem is at end of life and asking if I wanted to upgrade via a rental (no thanks).

Plus the Blast promo I'm on currently was cheaper than the Performance promo that had just ended when I called back in a couple of months ago.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Wanted to provide a quick update. I ordered a 6141 from Staples and just installed it. Speed tests are as follows:

~45 down
~12 up

Much better now.

Mushkins

Golden Member
Feb 11, 2013

Depends on where you live I guess. I moved into my place with brand new comcast service around last christmas. Kept the rental modem with my blast service. Three months later they send me a letter in the mail saying my old modem didnt support the new speeds when they boosted everyones speeds last year (this was after they did it, and my modem absolutely supported it). A few days later a brand new modem shows up in the mail with instructions to ship the old one back. /shrug.