Would you upgrade from a 1.4 Athlon to a 2000+?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TheCorm

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2000
I would say it's worth it, or you could overclock a little (must remember when suggesting people overclock they do run the risk of killing their chip, although less so for a lower overclock...if they don't have the money to replace it, this can be off putting).

Plus you have the bonus that a 2000+ (1.67ghz) clocked processor will be much cooler than the piping hot 1.4 plus it will use less power.

Jamie

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Gobadgrs
Originally posted by: DivideBYZero
What I did is got a JIUHB 1700+ or 1800+(make sure it's a 1.5volter code 'DLT3C', you should be able to get these with help from PPL in here of Hot deals. I'm in the UK so I can't help you there.

But to get the 15 I had to cut the L3 Bridges to hardwire the multiplier. To select the multiplier you want, go HERE. This shows you which bridges to cut to get the multiplier you want. I used a multimeter's continuity mode to tell when I had broken the link on the bridge, as you can cut too far (only if ur a hamfisted foo like my m8 John).

Once ur new chip is prepared, update to the latest KG7 BIOS and set it to 'Above 13', pop in the new modded CPU and boot, should start up fine and then you can mod the FSB to your liking. My 1700+ booted at 2Ghz right away(133 x 15), so 2.1 was relatively simple.

Your PC2100 will be fine as the AMD760 chipset is shady at anything over 150Mhz anyhow.

Good luck!

/0

Can you also give me a more detialed guide about cuttin the L3 bridge?

If you go to the above link and select the multiplier you want, it shows the bridges you need to cut or leave to get the value.

For example, if you select 15, it shows that the bottom two of the five L3's need cutting. This is what I did.

- Get a knife like a 'Stanley knife', this is a British tool, but you guys talk of 'Exacto' knives which I believe are the same.

- Set your multimeter to continuity mode, where it beeps when you touch the tips together. Borrow one if you don't have one, it makes the job 100% rather than hit or miss.

- Check the current unmollested bridge. The bridges have small pips showing and you need to touch each of these to check the circuit. The multimeter will beep, the circuit is made and so the bridge is uncut.

- VERY gently make a score line accross the bridge you want to cut.

- Make gentle but certain strokes along the score line, checking with the multimeter after each one until it doesn't beep. The bridge is now cut. Repeat on the next bridge up and viola! A 15 multiplier.

As I said before, set to 'above 13' in the BIOS before taking the old CPU out, then pop in the modded one and all should be well for a 2Ghz boot.

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
So what did you do with the L11 bridge....?

I havent bought my chip yet, I am still trying to figure out what to do here...

If I cut the L11 bridge to work at say 1.6 volts... wont that be the only voltage it can run at?

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
WoAH!

Don't need to touch teh voltage, the KG7 is more than capable of voltage changes in the BIOS. I run mine at 1.6, but the board is overvolting to 1.65-1.67 odd.

The only bridges you need touch are the L3's, absolutely nothing else!!

bigpow

Platinum Member
Dec 10, 2000
I had the same situation before.
I upgraded from 1.4 (o/c 11x143) to 1700+ (o/c 9x200)

CPU speed difference is not that big, but huge FSB speed difference makes it a different new world.
Especially doing memory intensive softs like photoshop, etc.

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
Originally posted by: bigpow
I had the same situation before.
I upgraded from 1.4 (o/c 11x143) to 1700+ (o/c 9x200)

CPU speed difference is not that big, but huge FSB speed difference makes it a different new world.
Especially doing memory intensive softs like photoshop, etc.

200 FSB will never happen on a KG7.

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
WoAH!

Don't need to touch teh voltage, the KG7 is more than capable of voltage changes in the BIOS. I run mine at 1.6, but the board is overvolting to 1.65-1.67 odd.

would you ever consider trying a 16x multiplier? or should I just stick with teh 15x?

Im thinking I should do the 15x + 140fsb = 2.1ghz

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
if I got the CPU cheap, yeah.

I upgraded my T-Bird 1.33 to an XP1800+ and noticed a decent gain overall..

pspada

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2002
I upgraded my 1.4 to an XP processor..........well over a year ago. Don't think there is any question that you will see considerably better performance, not to mention a much cooler system.

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
WoAH!

would you ever consider trying a 16x multiplier? or should I just stick with teh 15x?

I did 15 as you can still get 15.5, 16, 16.5, 17 and 17.5 with relative ease, if you find your chip to be a goodun.

Don't forget that the XP CPU's have SSE and the Tbirds don't. This alone should make PhotoShop faster if it is SSE aware.

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
WoAH!

I did 15 as you can still get 15.5, 16, 16.5, 17 and 17.5 with relative ease, if you find your chip to be a goodun.

Don't forget that the XP CPU's have SSE and the Tbirds don't. This alone should make PhotoShop faster if it is SSE aware.

Yea, I have photoshop 7, so I should be good to go! :D

I think I'm gonna have to order me a B chip.... the only thing is, once I cut it for 15x multiplier, I'm stuck there arent I?

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
WoAH!

Yea, I have photoshop 7, so I should be good to go! :D

I think I'm gonna have to order me a B chip.... the only thing is, once I cut it for 15x multiplier, I'm stuck there arent I?

No not at all, but you can only go up. This is fine however. Let me tell you how I came to this:

15x133 = 1995Mhz. Most B's can do this no worries, so a first boot is a given. A 16 is 2.13Ghz and you could be pushing it, so wait until you test at those speeds with a 15 multi, so this is what I did. Made sure it could do it at 15, then I'll up it to 16 and go from there.

So tonight I was pushing my FSB. I got to 2175/145FSB and Prime would run like a dream, but my Video card doesn't like teh overspec AGP(Or it could be any number of PCI cards...). So, I know the chip is good, so I can cut for a 16 or a 17 and still stay in spec. With the PC2700 RAM I can run fast mem timings and a CAS of 2, and I'm not losing all that much! Still got a 2GB mem bandwidth:D

So, 15 is hardwired, but you can change it one or maybe two times more by cutting one or two more bridges. The only caveat being you can only go up from 15.

Use the bridge painting guide to decide you next bridge victim.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
I also remember something like you should also reinstall windows if you will stick an athloxp processor so windows will sadd in SSE aware code so it runs faster too. Not sure if its true or not but I heard it here ;)

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
If you don't want to cut, try the PINMOD..

This does the same thing but is reversible.

stupid page doesnt work for me.... :|

Try again, works for me.

I cant get it to show what pins to connect. I would love to try this stuff, especially if someone would sell me a 1700+ B

DivideBYZero

Lifer
May 18, 2001
If you don't want to cut, try the PINMOD..

This does the same thing but is reversible.

stupid page doesnt work for me.... :|

Try again, works for me.

I cant get it to show what pins to connect. I would love to try this stuff, especially if someone would sell me a 1700+ B

It's java. Make sure ur JVM is enabled for your browser.

GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
Well I finally got my 1700 T bred B! :D It should be here in the mail anyday... Im kinda scared about cutting the chip though.... how reliable is that wire trick and what kind of wire should I use?