would you trust a doctor who got paid $11 an hour?

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
i was listening to NPR a couple of days ago and i caught the last bit of a segment on a health care facility who pays the entire staff the same amount of money, the doctors and the janitors make the same money $11 per hour.

if you were sick and you had the option of going somewhere or going to this place where would you go?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Any doctor making $11 is either a really crappy doctor or REALLY loves his job and doesn't care about money.

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
that is aweful, that just goes to show the sad state of health care in this country, I mean these guys go to school for 7 years longer than the janitors and rack up hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt, and they get paid $11 an hour? good luck paying back those loans...

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I need way way way more information here.

I'm going to *assume* that this is a volunteer sort of facility. Meaning, that the doctors/nurses/ect that work there are doing it out of their own generosity. I've known of a couple doctors that made their millions doing private practice work, and then went out and joined non-profit(and non paying) organizations and went out to 3rd world countries and provided their services for free.

I'm going to assume that this is the case.

Oh, and whenever you are being looked at by a resident - you are getting advice/medical services from somebody who is only making $10 an hour.

kuk

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2000
My mom used to work for $2 USD an hour ... specialized in kidney and urinary disorders.
Of course, that wasn't in the US ... but noneoftheless, it's pretty crappy. :(

kuk

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: her209
There are doctors that don't get paid anything. :D

i think there is a big difference between a doctor taking no money and taking $11 an hour.

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: vi_edit
I need way way way more information here.

I'm going to *assume* that this is a volunteer sort of facility. Meaning, that the doctors/nurses/ect that work there are doing it out of their own generosity. I've known of a couple doctors that made their millions doing private practice work, and then went out and joined non-profit(and non paying) organizations and went out to 3rd world countries and provided their services for free.

I'm going to assume that this is the case.

Oh, and whenever you are being looked at by a resident - you are getting advice/medical services from somebody who is only making $10 an hour.

your welcome to help me look, i cant seem to find any reference on npr's website and as i said i caught the last few minutes of the segment

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Ameesh
Originally posted by: her209
There are doctors that don't get paid anything. :D

i think there is a big difference between a doctor taking no money and taking $11 an hour.

11 bucks is not a lot of difference ;)