Would you take advantage of an open printer provided for computer lab use....

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
I printed about 5,000 pages on one at ISU. Total cost: About 50 cents :p

<edit>
This was over the course of a month or so. I read fanfic, and I prefer reading on paper instead of on screen.

NuclearFusi0n

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Evadman

<edit>
This was over the course of a month or so. I read fanfic, and I prefer reading on paper instead of on screen.

why did you have to pay 50 c?

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I used to maintain a college computer lab for a living, so I know how quickly printer costs can add up.

Personally, I didn't really care if students hogged the printer for an hour printing a 500 page book, because I had a printer of my own at home. What DID bother me, however, is that total print costs were split up, and added to the next semester's computer lab fee.

So, EVERY time some moron decided to print an entire 100 page article instead of printing the two pages that they needed, it ending up adding a few cents to everyone's tuition bill.

Evadman

Feb 18, 2001
Originally posted by: NuclearFusi0n

<edit>

why did you have to pay 50 c?

The printer was supposed to charge 5 cents per page, ( might have been 10, this was in 98-99 IIRC ) but because of "extenuationg circumstances" it only charged 5 cents per print job.

<edit>
Job meaning one sent to printer. Be it a 2 page paper or a 100 page one, it charged 5 cents. I think there was a 500 page limit IIRC because I hit it a few times when the printer would just stop printing without being out of paper.

I still have the binders. Probably ten 5" and multiple smaller ones. I have since come to love office and the ability to print 4 and 6 pages of text on one page of paper.

bizmark

Banned
Feb 4, 2002
yes, but at our labs they've made it so you can only print 20 pages at a time, and there's an LCD touchscreen by the printer that you have to go to to select your job to print. It keeps people from hogging the printers when others need to print.

Jugernot

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Well personally, I pay a certain amount of money per semester in lab fees (a couple hundred a semester!). Unless I'm in class, I NEVER use the labs. And since I'm such a thrifty person, I almost never print anything. So last year, when I printed the 1000 page MySQL reference manual on a lab duplex printer, I didn't feel bad.

I used to be a tutor in these labs, so I know that there are people who literally print 1000s of sheets of papers only to show it away at the end of class. Idiots I say!

Evadman

Feb 18, 2001

<edit>

I was wrong. I don't think this is 5000 pages. this is not all of it, but it is most of it. I probably only have 2 more big binders and maybe 4-5 small ones, but I think I printed those with my printers here.

It is 20" of paper though.