Would you say that the NBA and MLB are less popular now than they were 10 or 15 years ago?

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Seems like back in the early to mid 2000s, basketball and baseball were much more popular to watch on TV, go to a game, or even discuss with friends and family versus the present. I was reading about how people just have more entertainment options today with video games, streaming movies, etc so even though nba viewership is half of what it once was, that is a trend with most things on TV, and doesn't necessarily indicate that the NBA is indeed less popular today than 15 years ago.

All that being said, I still feel like both sports are less popular now than they were back then. Hardly anyone I know is a professional basketball or baseball fan. I know college sports fans, but no pro sports fans outside of NFL football, which has really kicked the trend in my opinion and only grown in popularity. What do you think?

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
MLB I'd say less popular especially among younger folks.

NBA I'd say is either the same or more popular.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I've never been a fan of basketball, and I stopped watching major league baseball after the 1994 strike when they cancelled the World Series.

Reactions: WilliamM2

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I stopped watching NBA back in the late 80s or early 90s when it all became abount $$$ and one man teams and all the BS hype and such.

Was never into MLB as I find it boring as hell and pinch hitting BS.

NFL and NHL only for me.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
I used to be really into basketball in the early 2000s. Just watched a few Sixers v Celtics games for the first time really since then and was shocked how different the game is played. It’s all about three pointers now, no interesting plays to get to the net. Really not nearly as fun to watch as it used to be.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist
Nov 17, 2019
We used to go to the old Tiger stadium and get bleacher seats for something like a buck a piece. Red Hots were two for a buck as I recall. The whole day, tickets, food, parking and all plus a few souvenirs for a family of five was under $30

Usually did that a few times a year, mid 60s to early 70s. Watched most other games on TV.

Then the players threw their first hissy fit and stomped their feet like babies.

I don't think I ever watched another game.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
I used to be really into basketball in the early 2000s. Just watched a few Sixers v Celtics games for the first time really since then and was shocked how different the game is played. It’s all about three pointers now, no interesting plays to get to the net. Really not nearly as fun to watch as it used to be.
I'm thinking same thing is happening with baseball. In both sports, teams have figured out the statistically best ways to win, and those ways are not the most exciting to watch in basketball or baseball. With basketball its all about lobbing up 3 pointers rather than implementing a strategy and fighting to get to the rim. With baseball it's all about home run balls and strikeouts with very few balls actually put into play any more (before recent changes). Both of these things make the games way less interesting to watch as spectators.

Last edited:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Completely agreed. :confused_old:

I used to be at least a "moderate" NBA fan (go Knicks!) but these days the lack of team-play plus the focus on 3-point shots and individual "showboating" has taken the fun out of the game for me. (the long shorts are however far less dorky!)

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I personally am watching more NBA this year than I have in a long time. A lot of that has to do with betting though, it makes watching random games a lot more fun.

The playoffs have been a lot of fun too and the level of play has stepped up quite a bit. I always watch the playoffs but this year I haven't missed many games. It sucks it's winding down but the 2 conference series should be good, especially Lakers/Nuggets.

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
I personally am watching more NBA this year than I have in a long time. A lot of that has to do with betting though, it makes watching random games a lot more fun.

The playoffs have been a lot of fun too and the level of play has stepped up quite a bit. I always watch the playoffs but this year I haven't missed many games. It sucks it's winding down but the 2 conference series should be good, especially Lakers/Nuggets.
I think this year has been good with the Cinderella stories. Jimmy Butler carrying the 8 seeded heat to the conference champs. LA and Golden State carving through the West. Golden State vs Sacramento was a great series. Nice to see some new teams participating.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I think this year has been good with the Cinderella stories. Jimmy Butler carrying the 8 seeded heat to the conference champs. LA and Golden State carving through the West. Golden State vs Sacramento was a great series. Nice to see some new teams participating.
Yeah it would be great to see Nuggets vs. Heat in the finals. I'll be pretty surprised if that happens.

Reactions: pete6032

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
It's not March Madness, so I wouldn't even call it Cinderella stories. What's interesting this season (going back a few, even) is that there's been more competitiveness outside of the Warriors dynasty (and previous dynasties that have ruled the NBA). "Player empowerment" has pros and cons, but we still had a lot of teams this season with a chance of making a deep run. Although the Celtics are now heavy favorites, the Nuggets and revamped Lakers (despite their record) aren't weak teams. The Heat are the only real Cinderella still standing. It was arguably less compelling when you knew it would be LeBron James and/or the Warriors in the Finals.

Lmao at the Luddites who bemoan the current state of the game, and long for the defensive struggles of the 1990s. If you don't enjoy barrages of 3-point shooting, that's fine. But players are as gifted as ever and you have unicorns like Nikola Jokic who play a brilliant and beautiful game. (WCF game 1 was very entertaining IMO.) The basic strategy is to score efficiently; saying there is less strategy doesn't compute. Dominant centers aren't what they were, except Jokic, Embiid, AD and Giannis still feast inside the paint. And except for Giannis, many bigs can shoot the outside jumper as well.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Yeah it would be great to see Nuggets vs. Heat in the finals. I'll be pretty surprised if that happens.
What a prediction! ;)

MLB is so popular we still don't have a dedicated playoffs thread yet. Guess we'll wait for the World Series rematch; hopefully the Phillies can stop the Astros this time around.

Watched the highlights of Spurs/Warriors preseason finale. I know it's early and doesn't mean much, but Wemby looks ridiculously slick for a 19 year old with no muscles. :D

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Basketball is boring to watch but okay to play. Baseball is boring to watch and even worse to play.

Reactions: lxskllr

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
ALCS and NLCS happening right now and you would have no idea unless you dug deep on the sports websites. Everything is NFL and College Football. I guess NFL week 7 game recaps get more clicks than the Rangers forcing game 7.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
ALCS and NLCS happening right now and you would have no idea unless you dug deep on the sports websites. Everything is NFL and College Football. I guess NFL week 7 game recaps get more clicks than the Rangers forcing game 7.

unless you are in Dallas LOL non stop stuff about the Rangers going to the World Series since Monday night...

Go Rangers!!!!

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Doesn't seem like we'll even bother to create a World Series thread here. :tearsofjoy:
Seemingly two teams that you can't really dislike, but also two teams that aren't going to drive up viewership compared to the LCS.

The good news is that the Astros went down in flames.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Oh carp, Arizona is in the World Series. I guess I was supposed to know and care about that. :p

As a good person, I need to cheer on the defeat of Texas.

• Haha
Reactions: manly