Would you report this kind of violation of stay at home order?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
True story from yesterday.

I live in a Pennsylvania county that is still under a stay at home order. Yesterday while riding by bike (allowed) through a neighborhood passed a house setting up for a backyard party. There was a keg, lawn chairs and people arriving. I guess somewhere around 20 people.

Question: Should I have called the police a reported them?

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
I wouldn't, but I tend to mind my own business unless it's a crime or a danger. There is an argument to be made that a backyard party is both, but those are temporary crimes, and limited danger, legal two months ago, legal again in the near future.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
That's a shity response. Why go straight to ridicule?
I don't get along with Homer at all, but the question is valid and the answers could be interesting.

Because it is a mind your own business situation. Some people deciding to gather at their house and on their own private property is their own damn decision in life to make. I hate fucking busy bodies. Homer gets mad at the idea of white people going after a black man for a citizens arrest on actions that are always criminal charges instead of minding their own business, but he wants to go after people having a party in their yard that is debatable as being "illegal" at this time regardless of directives given out by whatever politician made it. Bit hypocritical to me and that kind of thinking deserves ridicule.

Dec 10, 2005
Because it is a mind your own business situation. Some people deciding to gather at their house and on their own private property is their own damn decision in life to make. I hate fucking busy bodies. Homer gets mad at the idea of white people going after a black man for a citizens arrest on actions that are always criminal charges instead of minding their own business, but he wants to go after people having a party in their yard that is debatable as being "illegal" at this time regardless of directives given out by whatever politician made it. Bit hypocritical to me and that kind of thinking deserves ridicule.
One of the primary sources for the COVID outbreak in Georgia was a funeral. So it's really not just private people making private decisions when it comes to this kind of public health issue.

Jan 25, 2011
It's a private matter if you stay out of the public. The minute you attend a large gathering, then venture into public places, you're putting others at risk which has been how many hot spots have sprung up. Large gatherings that spread into the community.

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
Because it is a mind your own business situation. Some people deciding to gather at their house and on their own private property is their own damn decision in life to make. I hate fucking busy bodies.

Their own decision unless just one person at that gathering unknowingly has the virus and passes it to just one person who happens to have contact with a family member of yours who gets it and then dies. I'd think it would be cold comfort to say I wasn't a busy body. Their own decision is fine as long as it doesn't affect others. In this case their own decision could be lethal to someone else.

nitsuj3580

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2001
Were people wearing masks? Keeping social distance? Just curious, I wouldn't report it, personally.

I am also in Pennsylvania (Phili suburb still in red phase) and I do find it confusing as to why it's OK for Lowe's/Home Depot to be crowded, but a party of 20 people is not allowed. In addition, June 4 is the end of the order currently so in as little as a couple of weeks, the gathering you observed will be considered "OK"(PA states less than 25 people in yellow phase). When I think of it like that, what's going to magically change between now and June 4 that would then allow 25 people to gather?

Reactions: Thunder 57

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
So... only herd immunity is going to get us past this.
People will die in order to get past it, and people will die if we sit by and idle our economy.

There are no good choices here. Why is theirs a bad one?

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Were people wearing masks? Keeping social distance? Just curious, I wouldn't report it, personally.

I am also in Pennsylvania (Phili suburb still in red phase) and I do find it confusing as to why it's OK for Lowe's/Home Depot to be crowded, but a party of 20 people is not allowed. In addition, June 4 is the end of the order currently so in as little as a couple of weeks, the gathering you observed will be considered "OK"(PA states less than 25 people in yellow phase). When I think of it like that, what's going to magically change between now and June 4 that would then allow 25 people to gather?

A Columbia study indicated that the US could have avoided tens of thousands of deaths if lockdowns had started a week earlier. One week.

Ending lockdowns too soon is expected to produce similar effects. Two weeks makes a gigantic difference in the midst of a pandemic.

If it were me, I'd have called the police and taken delight in having every single person arrested. They want to threaten the lives of everyone in their community? I'll happily remove them from society to ensure they're no longer a threat to anyone.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
True story from yesterday.

I live in a Pennsylvania county that is still under a stay at home order. Yesterday while riding by bike (allowed) through a neighborhood passed a house setting up for a backyard party. There was a keg, lawn chairs and people arriving. I guess somewhere around 20 people.

Question: Should I have called the police a reported them?

Your neighbors place the entire community at risk. Their actions prolong the inconveniences everyone is experiencing. Their actions place people at risk 100's of miles away.
They are weak selfish cunts.

Those who are too stupid to under stand the why and hows of how Covid spreads after all this time are certainly not going to listen to my explanation so I wont bother explain in this thread.

If they don't give a crap about the community nor do they respect the government or the laws that we have erected to abide by stay at home, what courtesy is required by you to look the other way?

However, I'm a bad person to ask.
I have to listen to people talk about freezer trucks filled with dead bodies in their parking lot. I have to listen to stories of what it's like to treat kids and dead doctors and "they were young and health before they died"

Last edited:

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
The choices aren't good, but they are not equally bad. Jeez...

That's correct, but can you tell us the exact costs of each? Do not pretend there is nothing to lose by 12+ months of shutdown.
There is economic damage.
There are deaths of despair.
There is ultimately civil unrest.

You are not respecting just how bad both choices are.

And given the duality of paths we face, why attack people who claim the freedom to face COVID on their own terms? Once again you forget something... the human factor. They are armed and can fight back. You do not know what you do - if you think the situation is fully within your, or anyone else's, control.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
So... only herd immunity is going to get us past this.
People will die in order to get past it, and people will die if we sit by and idle our economy.

There are no good choices here. Why is theirs a bad one?

Are you willing to voluntarily get infected, spread to your family and join the heard?

Reactions: DarthKyrie

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
That's correct, but can you tell us the exact costs of each? Do not pretend there is nothing to lose by 12+ months of shutdown.

And given the duality of paths we face, why attack people who claim the freedom to face COVID on their own terms? Once again you forget something... the human factor. They are armed and can fight back. You do not know what you do - if you think the situation is fully within your, or anyone else's, control.

How many people have died so far due to the shutdown?

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006

You can debate shutdown vs COVID, but there is nothing major to lose by not having a weekend party of 20+ people in the middle of a pandemic.
You can be for a reopening but also for people trying to minimize the risk within the context of reopening. In fact if you want a reopening to stick, you should be all for minimizing risks as much as possible while restarting the economy to the extent possible.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001

What are you talking about? No less than 3 people have pointed out that if they are violating the order, they put the greater community at risk. That is the issue here, not the shutdown. Limits on the number of people and social distancing must be observed, failure to comply should be addressed.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
If it's a violation of a state stay at home order you should. Assuming you could do so with proper distance / PPE, before going to that step, the best thing to do would be to talk to them directly. Confrontations don't have to be condescending. If a rule is important for all of society, then we should be having respectful confrontations instead of complaining about other people in private.

All this said, it's a hard thing to do. We had this issue with my neighbor when the lockdown was active. I said something twice, but far less than I should have. Communicated with other neighbors and cops were called a few times. But most of the time confrontations were avoided and I don't think police ever came out despite calls.

Dec 10, 2005
Are you willing to voluntarily get infected, spread to your family and join the heard?
If I remember later, there was a good article about herd immunity I'll try to dig up: in brief, if we tried to implement herd immunity now, there would be a huge overshoot for number of people infected vs number of people to have herd immunity. So not really looking like a great policy there.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
So I take it you have no problem with them spreading COVID amongst themselves, going out into the public and infecting others??

I didn't post this so you could lob flame balls, I really encountered this yesterday and considered calling the cops.

BTW - I find this an odd response considering your lack of concern when white people call the police on black people just for existing

Reactions: jman19