Would you rather have you or your spouse die first?

jinduy

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
i cant imagine being any sadder than to be like 75 years old and having my wife pass away a few years earlier

so what will it be? you rather be selfish and die first or would you rather have the wifey die first?

Saint Nick

Lifer
Jan 21, 2005
thats a really hard question... i don't think i can answer that. i don't want to think about either one, sorry, didn't vote...

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
My wife, God bless her soul, is not as emotionally as strong as I am in my opinion.
Therefore, her first.

But obviously its not something I like to think about.

PHiuR

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
both at the same time while eating a mcdonalds big mac with a burger king's whopper in between.

jinduy

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
Originally posted by: jndietz
thats a really hard question... i don't think i can answer that. i don't want to think about either one, sorry, didn't vote...

no problem :(

Pinot

Jan 21, 2006
Tough question.

First, Im not married, but Id like to be in the next 5 years. I dont think I would want her to suffer and go through the whole ordeal of losing me and living the rest of her life like that. So I said I would rather her die first, and I suffer the pain associated with coping with something like that.

CrimsonChaos

Mar 28, 2005
Funny, my wife and I talk about this quite a bit (probably more than what is healthy)! Obviously, we want to die together.

But to answer your question, as much as it'd destroy me, I'd rather she die first -- I don't want her to experience the pain of losing a spouse.

dopcombo

Golden Member
Nov 14, 2000
Wow lots of loving husbands here.

I know my wife wouldn't be able to handle it if I were to go first. Therefore, I would rather she went first and I took care of all her matters before waiting for my time to come.

It's a very disturbing thought though. Most people get married and all they see is the happy things. It's the little things like these which tell you whether you really want to spend the rest of your life with that person...

CalvinHobbs

Jan 28, 2005
Originally posted by: dopcombo

I know my wife wouldn't be able to handle it if I were to go first. Therefore, I would rather she went first and I took care of all her matters before waiting for my time to come.

It's a very disturbing thought though. Most people get married and all they see is the happy things. It's the little things like these which tell you whether you really want to spend the rest of your life with that person...

:thumbsup:

acemcmac

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
GF/Wife first, that way she won't be around to dispute the sports car I buy to console myself with.

Crescent13

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: calvinHobbs
Originally posted by: dopcombo

I'm not married but if I was

radioouman

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2002
I would rather her to die first because she obviously loves more than I do. So I don't want her to experience losing me.

LanceM

Mar 13, 2004
Would've been neat to have the poll broken down into items like, "I'm a male; spouse dies first," and so on.

Regardless, I think almost all the above comments hit the nail on the head.

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
Ideally both of us first, but I am stronger emotionally than she is, so I would rather she die first so she does not have to bear the pain.

AnyMal

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
My wife wants us to die on the same day and be buried together. I'll be damned if I kill myself if she passes first :(:laugh:

Kalvin00

Lifer
Jan 11, 2003
Originally posted by: moshquerade
what a depressing question

Yes, it is...but you just never know....my mom and dad had been together for something like 25 years, just last August my dad died unexpectedly at the age of 46....

Syrch

Diamond Member
May 21, 2004
I voted me but thats the selfish answer b/c i wouldn't want to go through the pain of them dieing first. Nonselfish would be for them to go first.

Patt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
I can't really answer ... I don't have a preference. In all likelihood it'll be me anyways, as I'm a few years older, and have lived a bit 'harder' than she.

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Originally posted by: jndietz