Would you prioritize tight timings or more cooling

Mech0z

Oct 11, 2007
I have a Define C case and a Noctua D15 and currently my plans are to buy Ryzen+ (Mostly as it can easily be upgraded later) but I might go 8700k if it disappoints and I have a hard time picking memory when planning components for my upcoming rig.

My thoughts/concerns
  • D15 + Define C with 2 fans gives me 37mm memory clearance
  • How important is dual rank (Mostly 2x16GB kits)
  • How important are the timings in real applications (Its used for gaming, Visual Studio and browsing
I see 3 routes (You might have better suggestions)
  1. G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14D-32GTZKW Gives me Dual Rank and good timings
  2. G.Skill Flare X F4-3200C14D-16GFX Optimized for AMD and good timings
  3. Corsair LPX 3200+ Bad timings, but low profile so I can use both fans on my D15, so maybe higher OC headroom
I don't need 32GB, but as I plan to keep this system for some years I am willing to buy it if performance benefit from dual rank is there as I might need it later, but if dual rank is useless then I might as well buy 16GB in a year when prices are hopefully lower

Charlie22911

Mar 19, 2005
If you go Ryzen, memory speed is what matters since the infinity fabric is tied to it.
If you go intel then it doesn’t matter a whole lot.

Since you plan to keep the rig for a number of years AMD may be the route for you since they will be supporting AM4 for a bit. Intel doesn’t have the best track record right now in that regard.

EDIT: make sure you get a good Samsung B-Die kit, memory compatibility has gotten better but the platform can still be fussy.

Mech0z

Oct 11, 2007
Pretty sure
If you go Ryzen, memory speed is what matters since the infinity fabric is tied to it.
If you go intel then it doesn’t matter a whole lot.

Since you plan to keep the rig for a number of years AMD may be the route for you since they will be supporting AM4 for a bit. Intel doesn’t have the best track record right now in that regard.

EDIT: make sure you get a good Samsung B-Die kit, memory compatibility has gotten better but the platform can still be fussy.

Pretty sure both Gskill are b-die, but not sure its possible to buy any low profile ram with guarantied b-die (Available in Denmark)

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
With that case, are you not able to just mount the fan slightly higher on the heatsink for the extra clearance, or will it hit the door?

You could always toss a 120mm instead of the included fan on the one side. It wouldn't meaningfully impact cooling performance.

Mech0z

Oct 11, 2007
With that case, are you not able to just mount the fan slightly higher on the heatsink for the extra clearance, or will it hit the door?

You could always toss a 120mm instead of the included fan on the one side. It wouldn't meaningfully impact cooling performance.

D15 + Define C with 2 fans gives me 37mm memory clearance

But yes I can buy another fan, but if the benefit from going from relatively cheap LPX 3200CL16 to 32GB dual rank 3200 CL14 is 5% max, then the price of extra fan and expensive memory is not worth it.

Bouowmx

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2016
Tom's Hardware: dual-rank over single-rank made a difference in F1 2015 and 7-Zip compression. Somebody know of additional tests?

Optimizing the memory subsystem: increasing the LLC/ring/uncore frequency to match core frequency, and reducing memory timings, is almost free performance, in the sense that power is not significantly increased (if you care about power).

ClockHound

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
You can also just move the front fan to the rear of the 2nd tower. I've done that in a few builds with no change in temps. In one case it was actually better - removed the case exhaust fan mesh (and fan) and the 2nd fan on the D15 became the exhaust fan.

Can also create an intake duct with craft foam from the top intake fan to front of the cooler. Doesn't have to even touch the fin stack. Close is close enough for airflow entrainment.

And if laziness is more efficient (often it is) can just run with a single center fan. The D15S is the single fan version of the D15 and temps are with 2-3 degrees of the twin fan version.