Would you pay $7400 for a Casio watch?

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
http://www.casio.com/products/watches/g-shock/mrgg2000ht

Japan's proud advanced technologies and traditional technical skills merge in the MRG-G2000HT. Its ability to receive standard time radio waves, GPS satellite signals and Bluetooth® transmissions enables it to acquire accurate time information in any location on Earth under virtually any conditions. Metal exterior surfaces are finished with a traditional kasumi-tsuchime hammering technique. And Japan Blue indigo, a representative colour in Japanese traditional craftsmanship, is applied with blue DLC coating. The true staying power of traditional beauty is embodied in this 500-piece numbered limited edition model of MR-G, the flagship series in the G-SHOCK line.

The external surface of the MRG-G2000HT is patterned by bold but delicate strokes of craftsmen's hands applying traditional kasumi-tsuchime metal hammering. This forging technique, in which metal is pounded with a hammer, has long been used to form robust metal products such as armour and copperware. The technique has been passed down to modern times by skilled masters of the craft through a history of over 1,200 years. Bihou Asano is among these distinguished masters. Born into a Kyoto family steeped in this tradition, he continues to create products using the traditional techniques, while also undertaking restoration and reproduction of national treasures of the metalworking arts. His activities reflect a commitment to taking up new product manufacturing challenges while continuing his family tradition. It was because this conviction resonated with MR-G that the present collaboration was initiated.

Seems like a cool watch but $7400? Um no...

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I've seen more expensive watches I've liked less. I wouldn't pay that kind of money for any watch younger than 70 years old or so, and probably not then.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
handmade case is kinda neat, but that's too rich for my blood.

eng2d2

Golden Member
Nov 7, 2013
Mr g is the top of the line casio. Everything they used to build that watch is first class

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
When I think of what a majestic guitar or mandolin I could buy for that... :D

o90l6f.jpg

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
The bezel and links are hand hammered.

If any watch is ever worth that much money. I would argue that this is it.

Reactions: Crono

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Meh it's ok. I have a GPS signal Citizen that's $1200 that I like more looks-wise than that and two radio signal Citizens that get atomic time of which I like better than that Casio. I do like knowing that the time on my watch is super accurate. The casio isn't a bad looking watch, just not great either. I hate that it has that corny G-SHOCK writing on it. Kinda kills the good looks that it does have.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
It's not a bad looking watch. I'd pay $74.00 for it...

(obviously they forgot the decimal point in that ad)

but honestly, I've had nothing but problems with Casio watches over the years...little things like the hands falling off and such :p

LevelSea

Jan 29, 2013
Wouldn't pay for it, but it looks better than the guido-trash watch you posted about last time.