Would you marry a foreigner for $30,000 USD cash?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Trygve
Originally posted by: Nitemare
only one person said no...lol.

Make it two. Not for moral reasons, but because $30k is pocket change compared to the economic risk. Besides the danger that any prenup will be ignored by the courts, if she were to get pregnant, there's the possibility that I'd be required to pay child support simply because of the marriage--regardless of the child's paternity.

what? are you sure about that? how could a court force you to pay child support if your wife were to cheat on you and get pregnant with someone else's baby?

illusion88

Lifer
Oct 2, 2001
Originally posted by: iamme

Make it two. Not for moral reasons, but because $30k is pocket change compared to the economic risk. Besides the danger that any prenup will be ignored by the courts, if she were to get pregnant, there's the possibility that I'd be required to pay child support simply because of the marriage--regardless of the child's paternity.

what? are you sure about that? how could a court force you to pay child support if your wife were to cheat on you and get pregnant with someone else's baby?

She could blame you for the pregrency. After all you are sleeping with her right? ;)

NatePo717

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2005
Originally posted by: illusion88

She could blame you for the pregrency. After all you are sleeping with her right? ;)

DNA test would clear up that mess.

yukichigai

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2003
It's common in California for judges to rule that if the father made even the slightest attempt to raise the child -- regardless of whether or not they knew the paternity -- that they accepted an implied "parental contract" and are thereby liable for alimony, etc.

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
Originally posted by: yukichigai
It's common in California for judges to rule that if the father made even the slightest attempt to raise the child -- regardless of whether or not they knew the paternity -- that they accepted an implied "parental contract" and are thereby liable for alimony, etc.

interesting. then, i add the stipulation that this foreigner is fugly, so there's no temptation. :D

Sex Smurf

Golden Member
Oct 13, 2004
Originally posted by: cerebusPu
i think INS requires 2 years now. Im not sure. someone look this up

yes, 2 years minimum for RESIDENCY, not to be confused with citizenship which will take another 5-7 years or so.

Nov 7, 2000
if i had a very good lawyer friend that would make sure i had no financial obligations as a result of the marriage

thats all hypothetically, in reality i would never get involved in a situation like that for various reasons

yukichigai

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2003

interesting. then, i add the stipulation that this foriegner is fugly, so there's no temptation. :D
You don't understand.

Even if there's no way in hell the child could possibly be yours, even if, say, you were completely sterile and had been for the past 5 years, the judge can decide that you accepted an implied "parental contract".

As completely asinine and unjust as it sounds, it pales in comparison to some of the other stuff the Cali DCFS pulls.

Trygve

Golden Member
Aug 1, 2001
Originally posted by: NatePo717
Originally posted by: illusion88

DNA test would clear up that mess.

I haven't consulted a lawyer on the subject, but I've heard a number of times that, if you're married to someone, you're liable for child support, no matter who the biological father is. You could do all the DNA tests you wanted and it wouldn't matter what the results were.

However, I haven't researched this, so I may be repeating something that's completely not true. Anybody know for sure?

Sqube

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2004
6 months in one thing; a couple years is an entirely different story, apparently. Spending two years under the watchful eye of the man is... markedly less inspiring.

shopbruin

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2000
DON'T DO IT.

i keep getting confused everytime i read up on it at the USCIS site, but you need to:
1. get them an immigration visa so she can come here, if she's not already here
2. she then needs to apply for a green card (takes up to 2 years, but she'll be lawfully here at least.)
3. get green card, usually you must wait at least five years before you can even apply for citizenship. you can send in your application, at the earliest, 90 days before the five years is up.
4. apply for citizenship. wait.

and i know there's a meeting somewhere where both of you have to show up together.

it's a hassle. what if you meet someone during that time? "i'm sorry we can't get married, i'm kinda married to someone else... we can't get married until etc etc."

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001

interesting. then, i add the stipulation that this foriegner is fugly, so there's no temptation. :D
You don't understand.

Even if there's no way in hell the child could possibly be yours, even if, say, you were completely sterile and had been for the past 5 years, the judge can decide that you accepted an implied "parental contract".

As completely asinine and unjust as it sounds, it pales in comparison to some of the other stuff the Cali DCFS pulls.

i'm saying that if she's fugly, i don't sleep with her. thereby, if she gets knocked up, i'm sure it's not mine (offering no attempt to raise the child) and throw the biznatch out, call INS, and keep the 30K :p

yukichigai

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2003
I haven't consulted a lawyer on the subject, but I've heard a number of times that, if you're married to someone, you're liable for child support, no matter who the biological father is. You could do all the DNA tests you wanted and it wouldn't matter what the results were.

However, I haven't researched this, so I may be repeating something that's completely not true. Anybody know for sure?
Read my post above. However, I am not a lawyer; I simply know a friend who's going through the Cali system and is dealing with this crap.

Poulsonator

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2002
Originally posted by: gregshin
Suppose you were offered $30,000 USD to marry a foreigner for your american citizenship only. Would you guys/gals do it?

Ok here's the details...get married for 6 months until they receive their citizenship..and then divorce...that's it.

People are reading WAY too far into this. Yes, I'm sure it's much more complicated than what the OP offers, but that's not the question. The question is above, and my answer to said question is hell yes. If it were that simple, with no rules attached, you'd be crazy not to.

Shadowknight

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001
There are a lot of cases where the DNA test proved the husband was not the father and he was still required to pay child support.

Oh, and how about this, what if the immigrant you were marrying you were the same sex as you, would you still do it for $30,000? Would you stick it in the pooper if he/she got to do it to you in turn?