Would you marry a foreigner for $30,000 USD cash?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

KarenMarie

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2003
14,357
0
71
#51
Originally posted by: Poulsonator

People are reading WAY too far into this. Yes, I'm sure it's much more complicated than what the OP offers, but that's not the question. The question is above, and my answer to said question is hell yes. If it were that simple, with no rules attached, you'd be crazy not to.
It is fairly complicated if it is done legally. VeggieFrog is an born American, with British Residency since 1989, working towards dual nationality. Her future husband is born British. They plan to live in the USA. They are working on the paperwork now, before they even marry....

it aint easy.

:)
 

Trygve

Golden Member
Aug 1, 2001
1,430
0
0
#52
Originally posted by: yukichigai
Originally posted by: Trygve
I haven't consulted a lawyer on the subject, but I've heard a number of times that, if you're married to someone, you're liable for child support, no matter who the biological father is. You could do all the DNA tests you wanted and it wouldn't matter what the results were.

However, I haven't researched this, so I may be repeating something that's completely not true. Anybody know for sure?
Read my post above. However, I am not a lawyer; I simply know a friend who's going through the Cali system and is dealing with this crap.
Thanks! That's what I thought was the case, but I didn't know the appropriate terms to look up.
 

Trey22

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2003
5,533
0
76
#53
There's a "beauty salon" run by vietnamese girls across the street from my work... and that's exactly how much they pay you to marry one of their girls.





 

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
17,094
0
0
#54
I can go over to Cambodia (where I was born) and take my pick of women and their fathers are more then likely going to give me $$$!

Parents friends, uncles, aunts etc are always 'joking/ being serious' about having their daughter marry her sons...

Koing
 
Jul 21, 2001
21,059
0
0
#55
Originally posted by: Trey22
There's a "beauty salon" run by vietnamese girls across the street from my work... and that's exactly how much they pay you to marry one of their girls.
and you know this how.....? :Q
 

cerebusPu

Diamond Member
May 27, 2000
4,008
0
0
#56
Originally posted by: Trey22
There's a "beauty salon" run by vietnamese girls across the street from my work... and that's exactly how much they pay you to marry one of their girls.
does that come with service?
 

mooncancook

Platinum Member
May 28, 2003
2,756
1
81
#57
i think it used to be 6 months before you can devorce her. but i think INS knows this kind of stuff going on and they wanna crack them down so they change it to like 2 to 3 years i'm not quite sure. btw you don't need to get them citizenship, just the green card.

If I'm younger and I don't have a gf then I would consider it. but then when I was younger I was pursuing girls that I know, so i never really considered the option. I think if I did that my friends and the girls I know would look down on me.
 

Noirish

Diamond Member
May 2, 2000
3,959
0
0
#58
Originally posted by: gregshin
Suppose you were offered $30,000 USD to marry a foreigner for your american citizenship only. Would you guys/gals do it?

Ok here's the details...get married for 6 months until they receive their citizenship..and then divorce...that's it.
is the person going to take half of your worth after divorce?
 
Oct 5, 2004
11,441
0
76
#59
Where's the "No, but I'd fvck a screeching chicken for a 20 spot." option?
 

EKKC

Diamond Member
May 31, 2005
5,895
0
0
#60
its not 30k. i heard now its going at 50-60k because how hard ins is cracking down on fake marriages right now

it'd be better if you pop a kid out, otherwise you have to convince INS that you are really getting married for love. (or sex. whatever)
 
Dec 25, 2004
3,143
0
0
#61
Originally posted by: gregshin
Suppose you were offered $30,000 USD to marry a foreigner for your american citizenship only. Would you guys/gals do it?

Ok here's the details...get married for 6 months until they receive their citizenship..and then divorce...that's it.
In a second. Assuming she'll sign her life away on the prenup.
 
Oct 9, 2001
15,431
0
0
#63
No. And it's not 6 months, it's 2 years.
 

Future Shock

Senior member
Aug 28, 2005
969
0
0
#64
Ohhh, so much good advice being given here, and some people just aren't listening:

1) As someone who just defended himself in divorce court for over a year - listen to the guys saying you CAN and WILL be liable for child support even if the child isn't yours. That's NOT just in Cali, that's all over nowadays.

2) I also know two women that married forgein MEN to help them get citizenship - and these guys were not loosers - one was a famous violinist in Russia, and the other is now a multi-millionaire on Wall St. (and gay, so the marriage was really just for show). BOTH of these took 4-6 years to resolve themselves with the INS, multiple investigations, fake residences and ansering services set up while they lived apart...basically a HUGE problem for all concerned. One of these women basically blew her chance to have children this took so long, and despite her desire for a child now will never have one...despite several promising relationships during her fake marriage (after all, who wants to get involved to someone that is already married and has no definate timeframe for ending it?). She literally lost one of the most imporatant things in her life...and she recieved less than $100k for it. Did I mention the guy was very well off, and that's all she got, even AFTER they both had lawyers involved to resolve the amount?

You want that $30,000? Go the gym for 3 hours every day, dress well, take dancing lessons, and marry rich if money means that much to you. But then, my life experiences make me advise against that too...

Future Shock
 
Feb 8, 2001
35,474
0
76
#65
Originally posted by: Trey22
There's a "beauty salon" run by vietnamese girls across the street from my work... and that's exactly how much they pay you to marry one of their girls.
You don't by any chance have the phone number of this place do you?
 

DAGTA

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
8,179
0
0
#66
This is called 'fraud'.

No, I would not do it.
 
Dec 5, 2004
19,222
0
76
#68
Originally posted by: Future Shock
Ohhh, so much good advice being given here, and some people just aren't listening:

1) As someone who just defended himself in divorce court for over a year - listen to the guys saying you CAN and WILL be liable for child support even if the child isn't yours. That's NOT just in Cali, that's all over nowadays.

2) I also know two women that married forgein MEN to help them get citizenship - and these guys were not loosers - one was a famous violinist in Russia, and the other is now a multi-millionaire on Wall St. (and gay, so the marriage was really just for show). BOTH of these took 4-6 years to resolve themselves with the INS, multiple investigations, fake residences and ansering services set up while they lived apart...basically a HUGE problem for all concerned. One of these women basically blew her chance to have children this took so long, and despite her desire for a child now will never have one...despite several promising relationships during her fake marriage (after all, who wants to get involved to someone that is already married and has no definate timeframe for ending it?). She literally lost one of the most imporatant things in her life...and she recieved less than $100k for it. Did I mention the guy was very well off, and that's all she got, even AFTER they both had lawyers involved to resolve the amount?

You want that $30,000? Go the gym for 3 hours every day, dress well, take dancing lessons, and marry rich if money means that much to you. But then, my life experiences make me advise against that too...

Future Shock
:Q

I guess you gotta know the person very well and know who you are dealing with
also my cousin married a relative :Q
 

gregshin

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2000
3,273
0
0
#69
Originally posted by: Future Shock
Ohhh, so much good advice being given here, and some people just aren't listening:

1) As someone who just defended himself in divorce court for over a year - listen to the guys saying you CAN and WILL be liable for child support even if the child isn't yours. That's NOT just in Cali, that's all over nowadays.

2) I also know two women that married forgein MEN to help them get citizenship - and these guys were not loosers - one was a famous violinist in Russia, and the other is now a multi-millionaire on Wall St. (and gay, so the marriage was really just for show). BOTH of these took 4-6 years to resolve themselves with the INS, multiple investigations, fake residences and ansering services set up while they lived apart...basically a HUGE problem for all concerned. One of these women basically blew her chance to have children this took so long, and despite her desire for a child now will never have one...despite several promising relationships during her fake marriage (after all, who wants to get involved to someone that is already married and has no definate timeframe for ending it?). She literally lost one of the most imporatant things in her life...and she recieved less than $100k for it. Did I mention the guy was very well off, and that's all she got, even AFTER they both had lawyers involved to resolve the amount?

You want that $30,000? Go the gym for 3 hours every day, dress well, take dancing lessons, and marry rich if money means that much to you. But then, my life experiences make me advise against that too...

Future Shock
i better do it now...i would be in my low 30's still
 
Mar 18, 2000
11,218
0
0
#70
As others have noted, the foreigner will not be able to get his/her citizenship in 6 months. If that was the case, we would see a lot more of this happening. With that said, would you guys marry a foreigner for 5+ years and then divorce? It'll be a headache + if you both sign a prenup, the INS will keep an extra close eye on you. Oh and I must add, a prenup with a foreigner is not bulletproof. She/He can claim that she/he didn't understand what she/he was signing at the time the prenup was presented because of the language barrier. If you want to get taken to the cleaners, take your bet.

I would only consider doing this if there was a possibility that the two of us could stay married and forget reason behind the marriage in the end -- but of course, this is impossible to predict.
 
Mar 18, 2000
11,218
0
0
#71
Originally posted by: Future Shock
Ohhh, so much good advice being given here, and some people just aren't listening:

1) As someone who just defended himself in divorce court for over a year - listen to the guys saying you CAN and WILL be liable for child support even if the child isn't yours. That's NOT just in Cali, that's all over nowadays.

2) I also know two women that married forgein MEN to help them get citizenship - and these guys were not loosers - one was a famous violinist in Russia, and the other is now a multi-millionaire on Wall St. (and gay, so the marriage was really just for show). BOTH of these took 4-6 years to resolve themselves with the INS, multiple investigations, fake residences and ansering services set up while they lived apart...basically a HUGE problem for all concerned. One of these women basically blew her chance to have children this took so long, and despite her desire for a child now will never have one...despite several promising relationships during her fake marriage (after all, who wants to get involved to someone that is already married and has no definate timeframe for ending it?). She literally lost one of the most imporatant things in her life...and she recieved less than $100k for it. Did I mention the guy was very well off, and that's all she got, even AFTER they both had lawyers involved to resolve the amount?

You want that $30,000? Go the gym for 3 hours every day, dress well, take dancing lessons, and marry rich if money means that much to you. But then, my life experiences make me advise against that too...

Future Shock
Now we're getting somewhere! :)

Reading your post has convinced me this is definitely not worth it.
 
Oct 14, 1999
931
0
76
#72
Danger, Danger, Danger! Will Robinson. Don't mess with that BS.
 

Smackem

Senior member
May 23, 2005
358
0
0
#73
I am not going to whore out my country number one. I am not going to whore out myself number 2.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS