Would you live in one of these?

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
what happens when the tree becomes rotted?

I'd also imagine they must have crazy bug issues.

Glitchny

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2002
depends on the bug/plumbing issue and the fact that the tree is still growing... so wouldn't it eventually start to warp the floors etc as it got wider and cause a bunch of other problems?

wiredspider

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2001
Some of those look insane, I'm sure they could have afford to knock down the tree to build on the land instead, guess there is some novelty with being in the trees.

PieIsAwesome

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2007
Replace crappy tree with solid steel column, add floodlights, and I will have an unscalable fortress.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: PieIsAwesome
Replace crappy tree with solid steel column, add floodlights, and I will have an unscalable fortress.

until someone walks over with a ladder ;)

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I've always wanted to live in a high domicle. I would do one of these if I knew the engineer was awesome.

GregGreen

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2000
Obviously, do you know how many girls would love to come over to my treehouse.....

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Once upon a time...you betcha. Most of those look very well built and I'd imagine there's some solid engineering done to make them very stable.

Nowadays...I don't do stairs too well, so I'd have to pass.

In the mid-90's I was working as a crane operator for a company that also had a tree service in the SF North Bay area.

I took a crane into Mill Valley where an engineer was expanding his hillside house. My company had gone in and topped a bunch of the large fir/pine trees downhill from his existing house, then, using the crane, we placed heavy beams that ran from the house to the tops of the trees. Those formed the frame for his new floor...about 50-75 feet in the air.
Once all the beams were in place and properly bolted together, and the joists in place, the new floor was as solid as if it were built on a concrete slab.
Everything was engineered and met the approval of the local building department.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Getting drunk and falling down the stairs could really ruin your day with some of those.