Would you guys agree with a bill that gave more leeway to the police to...

Give police more leeway to raid a business

• Yes I agree

• No I disagree

• I am undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
raid a place of business if they had probable cause that the business was employing illegal immigrants?

Last edited:

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
A law to actually address the root of the illegal immigration problem? Who in their right mind would support that? Will someone please think of the children? /end sarcasm

I voted yes. I'd also support making it illegal to rent or sell living space and transportation to an illegal. No homes, no jobs = no illegals.

Simply stopping people on the street is ineffective, a waste of time, and too intrusive. What if police stopped white people since they may be from Europe and not legal American citizens?

Last edited:

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Here in Tennessee we have had a law on the books where if a business is caught employing an illegal they can be fined $50,000. This law has been on the books for at least a year and a half. The number fines dished out: 0.

In my opinion it would be a waste of limited police resources. If this law in Tennessee has any teeth, after a $50,000 ding or two... I bet companies would stop hiring illegals.

lothar

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2000
Here in Tennessee we have had a law on the books where if a business is caught employing an illegal they can be fined $50,000. This law has been on the books for at least a year and a half. The number fines dished out: 0.

In my opinion it would be a waste of limited police resources. If this law in Tennessee has any teeth, after a $50,000 ding or two... I bet companies would stop hiring illegals.

Maybe it DOES have teeth, that's why no one has been caught yet.
You'd have to be a moron exec to hire an illegal with such a law on the books.
You don't need to wait till you recieve the first $50,000 ding or two.

I seriously doubt hiring 1 illegal over an American would generate an extra $50,000 in profit for a business, so why would they take the risk?
To assume that the law doesn't have any teeth because no one has been fined yet is a wrong assumption to make if that's what you're thinking.

peonyu

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2003
*Conjures up Janet Napolitano to get her input on this idea*:

'This bill im sure, would target businesses that hire only Hispanics who cant speak any English as the only employees...Thats racial profiling!!! Lalalalalalala ****puts her fingers in her ears****. Theres no reason to think the majority of illegals are from Mexico either lalalaala. The best action is no action btw, otherwise its racism! So im going to push to have this bill ruled unconstitutional.'

/stops summoning our most wise Director of Homeland Security, Janet Napolitano.

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
*Conjures up Janet Napolitano to get her input on this idea*:

'This bill im sure, would target businesses that hire only Hispanics who cant speak any English as the only employees...Thats racial profiling!!! Lalalalalalala ****puts her fingers in her ears****. Theres no reason to think the majority of illegals are from Mexico either lalalaala. The best action is no action btw, otherwise its racism! So im going to push to have this bill ruled unconstitutional.'

/stops summoning our most wise Director of Homeland Security, Janet Napolitano.

She's about as dumb as it gets.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
my main concern would be giving police the freedom to use this as a form of retribution (ie: don't cooperate with us in an unrelated investigation? fine, we'll raid your offices every afternoon until you do)

NaughtyGeek

Golden Member
May 3, 2005
More leeway? If they have probable cause now, can they not get a warrant and conduct a raid? I'm all for curbing illegals but why would we muck up our laws to do so? How bout we just enforce those we already have? Personally I don't understand people's tendency to want to add regulations to regulations that already aren't enforced. The problem isn't lack of laws, it's lack of enforcement.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
raid a place of business if they had probable cause that the business was employing illegal immigrants?

I find this an odd question.

First, police generally enforce state/local laws, does the state have laws against employing illegal aliens? (I know the feds do.) If not, I believe you'd have to start there (making a state law against it).

Secondly, how would you make that determination if there was suspicion? I mean, what records do employers have that proves an employee's immigration status? The employees' SSNs?

Can I possibly violate the employees' right to privacy based merely on a suspicion of wrong doing by an unrelated party (the employer)?

If the illegal immigrant is 'off the books' because they do not have (forged) documents, how can law enforcement proceed? Walk through the business and demand to see everybodys' ID? Where's the probable cause there?

A big problem that most fail to realize is that neither employers or police are trained for this, much less spotting forged documents.

Fern

Status
Not open for further replies.