Would you get a lawyer?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
I'm not sure what planet you live on, but getting slapped in the face and told to "shut the fuck up" isn't "massively petty" on this one. Maybe you need to stop being such a pussy and stand up for yourself. Just sayin'.

I was standing, still can. Personally I don't think beating down a woman for slapping me is all that manly.

No one said anything about pulling guns or starting fights... are you just trolling us now? :confused:

Yet it almost always leads to this nowadays. Murders (or attempted) are rampant today over the most pathetic things.

Good idea. Might want to start with your friend's mom and send her back to kindergarten, which is where most people learn that it's not okay to hit people when they disagree with them.

Yeah, but all I can do is lead by example...actually she has apologized for it.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
My gf was hit by a car 2yrs ago. Broke pelvis, had surgery, now 2 years later had random seizures. Get a lawyer a good one. Her dad insisted on some friend lawyer and he has not done shit. Their insurance was exhausted and the girl who hit her didn't have high enough limits. She's suing but doesn't look like she can get anything.

She was going to go to the police academy, all she had left was the physical. Ruined her life pretty much and her lawyer was always like well we have to wait after physical therapy, after that he's like now I need all your bills. After this he rarely returns calls or gets back. And this is 2 years after the accident.

If I were him I would listen to a good friend and get a decent lawyer because these things can and will drag out. Insurance will cover what they can but later in life he may suffer medically and you can never tell that.

That is what happens when the other driver is under insured and your own insurance coverage isn't that good.

There is not much to do in a case like that. You can get a judgement, but a judgement is just a piece of paper. The lawyer should communicate better, but if someone has minimum coverage(an absurdly high amount of drivers) and no assets you can have millions in damages, your life ruined, have to file bankruptcy and never see anything beyond the coverage limits the driver had.

My wife knows a guy who got hit while on a motorcycle. His accident resulted in roughly $1million in hospital bills and the other driver had minimum cover. The guy basically had to declare bankruptcy.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
That is what happens when the other driver is under insured and your own insurance coverage isn't that good.

There is not much to do in a case like that. You can get a judgement, but a judgement is just a piece of paper. The lawyer should communicate better, but if someone has minimum coverage(an absurdly high amount of drivers) and no assets you can have millions in damages, your life ruined, have to file bankruptcy and never see anything beyond the coverage limits the driver had.

My wife knows a guy who got hit while on a motorcycle. His accident resulted in roughly $1million in hospital bills and the other driver had minimum cover. The guy basically had to declare bankruptcy.

Yeah my gf's insurance had decent limits. She hasn't even gone back to school yet or can't get a job since the doc and lawyer told her she should not yet. That, and who's going to hire someone that has random seizures. I feel so bad since its depressed her drastically. She wasn't even driving but waking across a street in the neighborhood.

I don't have the highest limits possible as I'm still young and insurance here is a crazy amount where I live. I do have good health insurance from work. It's ashame really, which reminds me since I've almost had my bike 1yr now maybe I could afford to bump the coverage up higher for my own sake even though I dont ride as much.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
You guys are hilarious. Battery charges against friend's mom after her kid has been in an accident. Give the lady a break.

Sounds like your friend was driving fine if he didn't hit the car in front of him. They don't have to go through his insurance at all. You can suggest that he keeps his insurance out of it and just deal directly with the insurance of the person that hit him. Mind saying which insurance he carries?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
30 posts and no one has asked yet......ATOT is slipping.

Pics of mom?

my mental image is some old fat white trash woman with short hair smoking a cigarette in a nightgown type of outfit. don't really want a pic of that.

SaurusX

Nov 13, 2012
A lawyer will be needed for this situation. I work in the insurance industry and I can tell you first hand that nothing scares the pants off an insurance company like legal letterhead. I've never seen anyone roll over faster after getting a letter from a lawyer's office. Insurance policies are legal contracts and who better to read it over to decide what truly is and is not covered?

That being said, if your friend's mom is so dense as to think a lawyer is never needed in polite society, then TS. She probably listens to AM radio and takes to heart that stupid ad lamenting "lawsuit abuse" without realizing that the courts are there to protect the little guy from getting steamrolled. I'm conservative and I hate that ad. They're going to get taken to the cleaners (again) by an insurance company that's already proven itself to be a bunch of douchebags. You've made your recommendation and it's the correct one.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
You guys are hilarious. Battery charges against friend's mom after her kid has been in an accident. Give the lady a break.

Sounds like your friend was driving fine if he didn't hit the car in front of him. They don't have to go through his insurance at all. You can suggest that he keeps his insurance out of it and just deal directly with the insurance of the person that hit him. Mind saying which insurance he carries?

Is it true in some states you can't do this, they make you also go through your insurance?

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
Dash cam would probably just prove he's a bad driver...he really is lol.

As for his insurance company, its a weird ass no name company like metro interstate or something. I've asked a few times and he doesn't really know, his mother wouldn't want me asking and wouldn't give me any info if I did.

Yeah he had to go through his insurance, got a $1k deductible that he (his mother) had to cough up to get the car looked at. He went and got x-rays and such, seeing a chiropractor (I'm the taxi now). He's using the $10k medical coverage from his own insurance for now...right now we're playing a wait and see. If everything goes smoothly and he gets fully reimbursed by the other insurance then great, if not I'll help get him a lawyer. I'm not really in the loop on everything and he doesn't seem interested in any of it himself, so I'm just helping as I can. I trust he would do the same for me.

I made a surprisingly accurate damage assessment myself...was guessing $1,500-2,000 in parts and initially they are saying $1600 (with some "reconditioned" parts). His mother insisted on going with her insurers recommended repair shop...but I told him not to agree on any repairs unless everything is new OEM stuff. Looks like $50 an hour and they said it would take 5 days to repair, no idea what labor will come out to.